Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW aluminum helium leak tight
- - By Chris Martin (*) Date 04-02-2002 14:16
This is my first post and from what I have seen there are alot of people on this forum page that are smarter than I. First I am welding on thin wall 6061 alum. tube with 4043 filler with pure argon gas. I am using a 1 month old Miller aerowave. I am having some success with getting my weld joints helium leak tight (0.0 X 10-9 scale), but not as much success as I need. My tube O.D. is .500" with a .050" wall thickness, the endcap is .100" thick. It seems as if it doesn't matter what the joint design is or wall thickness I am having trouble with getting alum. leak tight.

I am welding at:
10 amps pos.
27 amps neg.
freq. 201
balance 71.4
10 CFH pure argon
.045" 4043 fill

All parts are wire burshed and cleaned with acetone minutes before welding.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2002 17:59
Chris,

Is your end cap fitting over your tube like a sleeve or is it just a coin shaped turret punched slug? There are some differences in prep between lap joints and butt joints.

At lunch break I ran out to my Aerowave and duplicated your parameters and found your 10 amps reverse polarity to be a bit minimal. Some folks prefer a very tight etch line but I suspect we are seeing the result of sacrificing mechanical quality for the sake of appearance. If you double the amount of amps on reverse polarity you will find a noticeable improvement with wetting at the toe of the weld. With a water cooled torch you can still run a 1/16 inch tungsten with a pointed tip for extra control, and I bet your inspections will be more consistently favorable. Also unless access considerations require you to use a very small cup, you might consider running your argon a bit higher, possibly up to 20 CFH.

Variable polarity Machines can open a real can of worms when setting production parameters. Since we have paid all that money for a fancy machine, most of us want to use the whistles and bells. The problems arrive when we take things to the limit of performance and than go that little step beyond, only to find diminished returns and rework.

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers of these Hybrid machines published more thorough and in depth text, going beyond one page data sheets and citing real time production samples and industrial testimony. For the most part we are left to ourselves to reinvent the cart and fit it with the new reinvented wheel we have purchased.

Here are some further suggestions that will benefit anybody working with asymmetric power sources for manual GTA welding. Not particularly in order of importance.

1.) If your tungsten electrode touches the work or the filler or becomes misshapen due to over heat, STOP and re-dress it. None of the fancy waveforms will be of benefit if your electrode is contaminated.
1a.) When GTA welding aluminum, if ever your tungsten is contaminated you must stop! Some see this as a simple rule of craftsmanship while others do not. We must never say "well I would have stopped if I knew it was going to be X-rayed"

2.) Electrode Tip shapes. Rounded or balled electrodes serve a productive purpose only in the area of build up of wear areas and situations when a wide bead profile is desired. A pointed tip will provide greater directional control in nearly every case. If the arc begins to wander or climb up the tungsten, STOP, something needs to be addressed.

3.) To keep a high performance set up on thin Aluminum or Mag, a water-cooled torch and a full length electrode is the way to go unless space considerations prevent it. A full-length electrode will act as a heat sink and you will find you can squeeze a few more amps or a little more (EP) into your weld without loosing your tip to melting.

4.) For high frequency AC GTA welding Cerium and Zirconium are the best choices for electrodes. Miller Electric likes Thorium as a second choice, probably because of its slightly greater current carrying capacity, but the deformation and spitting (tungsten transfer into the puddle) is just too great a risk when working at the edge of the performance envelope. Its preferable for the electrode to begin to round off a bit at the tip (which is what Zirconium electrodes do when overheated) than to have it spit into the work like thorium does.

5.) . When taking performance parameters to the limit (max EN) it is vital to have the best surface prep possible, this includes attention sheared or rough edges, not just the tops of the sheet or tube.

Lastly, people often forget that the Aerowave simply set at *Normal* settings (like an old fashioned square wave) will produce superior welds. The circuitry is so good in those puppies that during regular welding operations the thing switches between EN and EP without need of superimposed High Frequency. The bottom line is that it will perform most jobs just fine in a stock configuration. (It's just not as fun or noisy).

Let us know how you fare.

Lawrence

PS. this is worth printing off and keeping in your toolbox http://www.millerwelds.com/main/ads/tig/articles/TIG_aluminations.pdf
Parent - - By Chris Martin (*) Date 04-02-2002 19:36
Thanks for the reply Lawrence. The end cap, machined from plate, slips down into the end of the tube and has the center recessed down about .050" to permit an edge weld to the end of the tube. The total thickness of the edge weld is about 1/10th of an inch, .050 being the end cap and .050 being the tube. I will try as you have suggested, and also I turned the Hz down from 250 to 200 as I was told by a Miller rep. I forgot to mention I am using .040 2% ceriated tungsten with a long narrow cup that is about 2.5" total lenght with an orifice of about 3/16". My space is limited, it's not out in the open like I would want

Is it that 6061 alum. is difficult to get leak tight or is it lack of skill??

Once again thanks for the help and the link.

Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2002 21:04
Briefly,

6061 is not difficult, in fact its about as weldable as aluminum gets.

Skill? I bet your just fine.

Its process control that is the gremlin here I bet.

The 0.40 tungsten is great, better in fact than my suggestion, I just assume most folks don't use the stuff. If the increase of amplitude on the reverse side of the half cycle begins to distort your tip you can lower it to 15 or go up to a 0.063 dia. tungsten. Stay with cerium if you can as it has the highest current carrying capicity.

The reduction in Htz. is also wise. Frequencies above 220 are useless for most GTAW aluminum.

Aluminum does like to welded quickly. By that I mean porosity, via absorbtion of hydrogen will occur if the work is overheated. So a quick pace (this takes practice) can be key. Don't rush, you will simply find that your pace will improve as you go. Heat sinks are helpful sometimes.

A good exercise to improve your welding of thin Aluminum with a 0.040 tungsten would be to weld pop cans together. Just rince them out and poke a small hole in the bottom concave of one can, butt them together, put a few tacks on it and weld it out. Its the cheapest practice in the world and you will be a wiz in no time.
Parent - By Chris Martin (*) Date 04-03-2002 15:35
I've heard that when welding alum. the quicker the better. I'm going to try different tactics as you have said Lawrence, and let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!!

Chris
Parent - By mcwelding (**) Date 05-28-2002 03:38
hey,
the only main thing i see is acetone. it isnt a very good thing to clean with. poor degreaser and nasty. use regular rubbing alcohol. i just went to a one day aluminum welding seminar offered by miller and alcotec. it was awesome, at least for me. this was one of the first topics covered. just make sure it evaporates before welding. alcohol also leaves no film. if im wrong someone shoot me. also clean first and then wire brush !! and checkout www.alcotec.com very informative site
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW aluminum helium leak tight