Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / aluminum
- - By crazydog (**) Date 08-02-2007 20:06
Has anyone heard of an aluminum designation  (B12H17B)? We are quoting a job and that is what the drawing had on it for the aluminum. It is for the medical industry, but don't know where at. Thanks for your help.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-05-2007 05:48
Nope...

Crazydog are you sure you are reading the material listout correctly...no offense I am just trying to help but that does not sound like a material designation for Al.
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 08-07-2007 12:49
That is the way they had it printed on the spec sheet. Could not find anything else on the paper that came close to the normal set of numbers we are used. We think it may be some sort of European or foreign designation. They told me to use 6061. I could deal with that. Thanks for your reply.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 08-07-2007 14:15
crazydog,

I had a look onto the European Standards, but unfortunately I haven't found anything comparable with that what you have stated...

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 08-07-2007 20:50
Thanks Stephan for looking. This has turned into a real mystery. Everybody has come up blank. Again thanks for looking.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 22:13
Ask the company requesting the quote. I doubt they would be offended by a question that is asking for clarification of the material.

I'm sure other companies are wondering about the material as well, but were afraid to ask.

I've actual have gotten jobs because I went back and asked questions about materials, welding requirements, and in some case have suggested something more easily obtained.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2007 04:18
I have to wonder if somebody copied the numbers & letters off some material, not realizing the difference between the alloy designation and the "other" designations
Parent - By crazydog (**) Date 08-08-2007 15:20
I did ask them, but they were even more clueless then me. I don't have the availability of going through all of their quote documents as this is just a very small part of the total. They were content to use the 6061 material. I put that in the quote so they know what they would be getting from me if we get the work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / aluminum