Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Underwater Welding
- - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-14-2007 01:46 Edited 08-14-2007 02:01
Here's some pictures of some of the guys that I work with and myself, there's been several post in the past about underwater welding so I thought that I would share these.  Sorry about the size, didn't realize that they would be that big.  If anyone would like to see more I've got a lot of welding and burning underwater. 

Enjoy,
Charles Welch
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 08-14-2007 15:19
WOOOOOOOW!

Great..!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-15-2007 00:53
GREAT PICTURES .
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-15-2007 06:11 Edited 08-15-2007 06:17
WOW!

A lot of posts about welding in space and all but this sure as shooting aint your everyday rod burning!!!  Great pictures.  No drysuit in the first pic....far out I did not know you could do that with the "danger zone" around the stinger.  Nice stack too that would fly in the dry!!

Very cool
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-30-2007 05:34
I'm curious, who inspects those welds?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 09-30-2007 23:44
The certified NDT personnel that we have on board, usually a couple of the guys that are the welders.  Kinda funny huh.  Everything that we inspect is videoed with audio, if the video isn't clear then we have to do the inspection over again.

Charles Welch
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 00:50
Excellent photos and that's a good looking weld in the one vie!

Al
Parent - - By pmedicann (*) Date 08-17-2007 15:10
How hot do you have to run your amperage to counteract the constant quench.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-17-2007 23:45
Generally 145 to 165 amps for mild steel.  Usually you'l get from 4 to 10 inches travel per rod, depending on the welder.  Most welders wear latex dish washing gloves underneath their dive gloves.  Other than that, you just hope that the person that dipped the rod in waterproofing didn't muck it up.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 08-17-2007 16:19
Great pics.

WOW!  Regular work shirt and denim...would've never expected that.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2007 12:29
I keep returning to these great photos. This must be my fifth visit.

Al
Parent - - By Frontier2k1 (*) Date 09-20-2007 18:06
Those pictures are amazing! I'd love to go to school for underwater welding but I wouldn't know where to begin, it's so expensive!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-20-2007 18:51
Hello Frontier2k1, if you can dream it you can do it. Don't count yourself out just right off the bat. Some of the expense might have to do with where you are geographically located. If you truly have an interest in pursuing this sort of career do some research to determine where the closest facilities are located, then varify that they have the sorts of things you are interested in. Various schools may have different offerings, not all are welding specific, some include salvage and repair work and likely also other things. Check on the reputation of the institution, if possible talk to some of their graduates and possibly some of the employers who have hired their graduates. Take a trip to inspect and question their staff about their offerings, job placement assistance and other things. Prices are likely to vary from one place to another, do your homework and pre-planning. Look at the total package, if the school is relatively inexpensive but you have to relocate to go there and the cost of living is outrageous, would it be worth it? Having said that is the reason that I say to look at the total deal from whichever schools you have an interest in. Money to go to school can come from a variety of places, there are student loans, possibly certain grant opportunities, scholarships(this option could be somewhat limited, but there are opportunities out there, if you're an AWS member you might be in line to receive a scholarship through them to help out). There will likely be others who will chime in here to answer and give you food for thought. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-30-2007 05:20
awsome photos, I love the one of the guy in jeans and a regular welding shirt.
man that looks like some fun.
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 09-30-2007 23:46
The guy in the jeans and shirt is me, as long as the water is warm that's what I wear.  You just have to remember that you could be there for up to 8 hours, so dress accordingly.

Charles Welch
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2007 00:53
Is the hose clamp there as a back up for the duct tape? How well does the duct tape work under water?
Is salt water worse on the duct tape than fresh water? :)
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 10-01-2007 22:48
The hose clamp it to hold the camera and the light together, the duct tape is to help keep it from sliding up and down the handle.  Duct tape holds together very well underwater, haven't seen a difference from salt or fresh water.
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 10-01-2007 22:14
Great pictures. I would of loved to have them when I was teaching to show the students. I don't know about anybody else but if is not to personal, what does that work pay?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 10-01-2007 22:52
The pay depends on the company that you work for, what part of the world, and type of weld to be performed.  Here in the Gulf of Mexico, for the company that I work for anyways, $23 to $36 an hour, minimum 12 hour days, plus depth pay, which is $1.50 per foot for the 1st 100 feet of water depth.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-14-2007 02:32
Those are some nice shots Charles. Like the one in the jeans,That is one shit hot weld. Are you still diving? Soon as I have the time to sort my stuff out I'll post some shots but I think I only have one to that can match the clarity. Good on ya. No sea too ruff...,
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 12-17-2007 02:19
I'm still diving, just made my 10 year mark with Global Divers.  Will be going out on another month long welding job in the next week or so.  Hopefully I'll get some more shots.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-17-2007 04:11
Once again good on ya Charles I did 23 years myself and loved every minute of it , I still go out for the odd job but do not go looking any more, getting used to being at home and make as much as I ever did as a diver running a welding rig and teaching the odd class on wet welding, Ya got to love that nice clear water though almost gives a guy the ich to go chase the carrot. I look forward to your next set of shots. It is a pleasure to look at a weld like that knowing what it takes to make them turn out that nice well done. The chicks are digging ya, dive safe.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-03-2008 19:39
WOW, just WOW
Parent - By sickytwisted (*) Date 10-28-2008 21:34
wtf.  That is some cool stuff.  I had never seen that.  I'm new around here.  I'm impressed
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Underwater Welding