Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Repair on Cast Iron and WPS
- - By Raju Vairamani Date 08-24-2007 05:17 Edited 08-26-2007 02:59
Dear Experts,

We have a Vent valve that developed a fatigue crack on the neck of the Flange for the lenght of about 500mm. NDT (PT,MT & UT) were carried out from inside and outside.

Pressure and Vacuum operating conditions are in few millibars. So, THis can be weld repaired as i can see through various posting in AWS networking group with many new welding electrodes and process like GTAW/SMAW using E-NiFeCi etc.

But, Is there any SWPS available in the AWS or elsewhere? How to satisfy the code requirement to have qualified WPS and welder for this. All of my contractors willing to repair it on fitness for purpose. But they do not have a qualified PQR or WPS  to ASME IX or AWS or API.

What are the possibilites to over come this WPS issue? Or we have to live with fitness for puprose?

Thank you very mcuh,
Parent - - By wld (*) Date 08-26-2007 04:20
hello raju,
               I do not consider myself an expert or a very good speller, but I have been repairing cast iron for over 12 years. When I was asking the same queston, I got so many different answers it was crazy. I've used many differant E-Ni-55 and found that when it comes to  welding 55 ni money is not an option.I've tried and tested everything from cheap to very exspensive brands and have found that exspensive is by far the way to go.
Cold welding is the best for me. For surface cracks I would grind crack down 3/4 the way thru, then take a torch and using a oxydizing flame burn off carbon build up in crack (when done properly you will see litttle particals of carbon sparkle off).
Using a 3/32" rod, weld a bead at a right angle across the start and stop of the crack. This will keep the crack from spreading (I've been told by engineers that drilling a hole at the ends of a crack is not a good practice).
Then run a bead along the ground out crack about 1 inch (no weaving) then you have to stress relieve the weld bead by penning the weld with a ballpin hammer real good. If it's hard to get to, I have used a needle scaler, but be sure the air does not exausts out the front of the scaler as it can cool weld too fast.Then repeat till your done keeping the cast iron cool to touch. Rod size can be 1/8"for bigger jobs. Length of weld bead should not be longer than rod diameter x 10. Then stop, deslag,  pean,  let cool then go again. I've been using this method for years and have had good luck with it.
As for as the WPS I was told there are none, but never looked into it any more.Sure hope this helps.
best of luck.
                 Lee D.
Parent - By Raju Vairamani Date 09-04-2007 09:38
Thank you very much for your advice. I think that your experience is entirely different than what usually done by others. Thanks for sharing your views. I will keep posted if we will make repair. Since it is safety valve company does not mind to spend on replacement.

Best Regards,
Raju Vairamani
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Repair on Cast Iron and WPS