Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A 514 plate
- - By ctacker (****) Date 08-23-2007 16:43
do you need to wait 48 hours to inspect a 514 plate after its welded,and if so,where in d1.1 can i find it?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 17:11
Without me blurting out the answer, let me see if I can help guide you towards the answer to your question. What task are you asking about? Inspection, right? What Section in D1.1 is dedicated to Inspection? Are there any tables regarding Visual Inspection? How about Table 6.1? Maybe that table has the answer to your question.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-23-2007 17:14
Ctacker

Yes you must wait

Table 6.1  (5)

Sheesh... I blurted while John was being instructive.

sorry
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 17:31
LOL...you rascal you!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-23-2007 19:05
thanks,i know i seen it somewhere,and i was almost sure i looked at table 6.1
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 19:34
I prefer Lawrences method of making it easy. I've never been a fan of John's tough love method.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 20:15
Jeff,
You just say that when it's your question....LOL
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 20:33
John,
Yeah I suppose thats true. May as well fess up. I've been kinda tough on a couple'a folks in here as far as self study is concerned.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 20:22
It is also in paragraph 6.11 on page 212 of D1.1:2006.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 20:17
Lar,
Coming from an instructor...I found your outward burst of info hilarious!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-24-2007 02:16
Ctacker

This is an example of a question from D 1.1 that you could ask yourself.  Now, give yourself 90 seconds to look up the answer.

If you plan to take the CWI exam, You have to be able to look up this kind of question no matter what code test you take.  If you couldn't find that 512 / 517 information in the code, you are reallly going to have a problem taking a CWI exam. 

You may also have a problem working as a CWI!!  You need to read that code twenty times from cover to cover.  You have to get familiar with the tables, figures and illustrations.  You need to read the Commentary!  
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 02:43
Joe has a point.

In fact that very question about A514/A517/709 just might show up on the CWI exam.....it did on the exam that I took ;-)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 13:39
Very good point Joe. CWI, API 570, 510, and most other similar certs, you've got to be able to find the answer on your own, unless it's a particularly obtuse portion of the relevant code. That part doesn't fall under that heading.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 14:42
"You need to read the Commentary!"-quote

This is good advice, ie read C6.11...it gives an explanation as to why you need to wait 48 hours before inspecting.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-25-2007 05:57
apperently there are a few inspectors that shouldnt be then,for the 2 years ive seen production welding on A514,and at least 3 inspectors checking the welds,not 1 have waited even 24 hours,i checked today and specs are to conform to d1.1,and double checked the plate called for!on another note,got my d1.1 and code clinic less than a week ago,1st day i took sample questions and got 27 right in 2 hours,running out of time and having wrong answer on 6 questions,so yes i need to study-study-study,and in no way am i looking to cheat! i do find without asking,i can look thru the forum and get questions for me to look up!
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-25-2007 19:06
Ctacker
Good!  now you need to do 4 things. First -   Look up the correct answer to the ones you got wrong.  Look at all the referenced paragraphs found when you are looking up the answers. Look up the key words in the index, until you get back to the answer to your question.  Then go to the front of the Code Book to the Table of Contents.

Second -  Do the same thing for the questions you got right.

Third - If your question takes you to a table or figure, either directly or through reference, you must learn how to use these tables or figures.

Fourth - look at and study the paragraphs before and after the paragraph you find your answer in. Follow all the references, and the Commentary just as in 1 above.

I feel your pain about other incompetent welding inspectors.  This is one of the reasons I get so short tempered when future CWIs try to get test question help on the Forum.  "Last week, ah caint een speel welding inspoctor,  Now I are one!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-26-2007 13:13
In addition to the code requirement here is some info on cracking that addresses "Dalayed cracking" or "Hydrogen Assisted Cracking". This info is universal regardless of the code.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/knowledge/articles/content/weldcracking.pdf

I l ike this one and everything else on the awsome welding related site. http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk45.html

A 514 and other quenched and temepered steels require a balancing act of "Slow Cooling" and "Not getting too hot while welding".  Efficient preheats allow the weld and heat affected zone to cool slower to allow hydrogen to escape. However the steel acheives its strength from heat treatment so Too MUCH preheat or interpass temperature and excessive heat input can alter the mechanical properties.  In addition it is said that an extremely thick sigle pass can cause cracking because the distance the hydrogen has to go to escape is farther.

HAve a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-26-2007 13:46
Gerald,

allow to make a short comment off the topic.

« weldinginspectionsvcs.com »

Excellent!

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-27-2007 00:01
Excellent sites,got lost in the one for well over an hour,its now on my fav's also!
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 08-28-2007 17:36
Funny thing how codes in North America differ.  CSA W59 (Canada's version of D1.1)  states that, "Visual inspection of welded joints subject ot high restraint and/or joints of quench and tempered steels shall be delayed as long as practicable and preferably no less than 48 hours after completion of welds." 

When working to this standard you rely heavily on the ability of the client be open minded and willing to listen... sometimes they like to define practicable using their own rules.

There was also a great article in the WJ a couple years back (Nov 2003) about this topic titled, "Evaluation of Necessary Delay before Inspection for Hydrogen Cracks" by R. Pargeter

Sean
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-28-2007 19:07
We did 7 day and annual on some submarine hull repairs.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 05-20-2008 14:59
Gerald
I understand the mechanism for strengthening 514 and the need for controlled heat input and rapid cool rates.  What I can't find is info regarding the removal of a defect.  I have a critical piece of lifting equipment that has a linear indication in one of the weldments.  The weld has already been removed using a grinder, or possibly even an air arc process.  My concern is in the rapid heat introduced and the cooling time.  I was not present for the weld removal and cannot verify the rate, etc.  Can the use of proper preheat and interpass temp negate any concerns about using grinders / air arc on cold 514 material?  I have not seen the WPS or even know if a weld repair WPS is available, but I will look into that.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-20-2008 16:23
(These are based on theories of various things I have learned over the years and may be incorrect)

There are two things to worry about when welding on  HSLA steels as far as heat input goes

1) Not enough preheat resulting in residual stress, hydrogen embrittlement etc. This would cause a rapid heating and cooling cycle. I am pretty sure you have to get to a certain amount of stress before this causes problems (not considering hydrogen). Carbon Arc gouging does rapidly heat and cool the base metal however the residual stress that results from gouging is probably negligable compared to welding since there is no contraction of molten metal involved. Since none of the molten metal remains in a carbon arc gouged area , hydrogen is not easily absorbed. In cases where preheat is too low, problems encountered from #2 below are not going to happen.

2) Too much heat can nullify the effects of the "Quench and Temper" process that A514 goes through. This could be likened to annealing. It reduces the yield strength and may affect the ultimate tensile strength. For this to occur, the base metal has to reach a certain tremperature for a certain time. The max temp that the base metal reaches during Proper Carbon Arc gouging in VERY low compared to the temperature met during welding. Since the time and temp is so long, overheating is unlikely. In cases where the max time at temp is too high the problems encountered in #1 above are not going to happen.

I have arc gouged quite a bit of A514 and followed up with MT with no cracking. One thing nice about the effects of #1 above is that it can be found out at a later date since it usually results in cracking. With #2, there is no visual evidence of the parameters being exceeded. Just reduced mechanical properties.

With a preheat prior to gouging you are that many more degrees closer to that "Maximium time at temp" that was mentioned. Oxyfuel goufging is often prohibited on quenched and tempered steel. A large area must be heated and held at temp before the metal becomes molten. This "softens" the material.

There is a balance that should be maintained with HSLA Q&T steels.

Not enough heat>rapid cooling>Hydrogen trapped>residual stress=Cracks/Too much heat>Reduces Mechanical Properties>Not visible by normal NDE= Fails in service due to yielding.

I can Alawys easily eliminate one of the two above by pushing the parameters . A VERY high preheat which results in a higher maximum temperature and slower cooling rate will reduce the chances of cracking. A process in which the maximum heat input is kept low and the weld/base metal heats and cools very rapidly, reducing the mechanical properties is very unlikely.

Each application of welding process needs to be closely evaluated for the service in which it will be used. If there is any question, conduct a PQR both ways.

Gerald Austin
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - By DAYANARA (**) Date 05-23-2008 00:10
Dear
Quenched and tempered steel is very problem repair, beacuse no controlated heat result in low strengh and impact toughness.
Is importan controled minimum preheat and max interpass and heat input.
I recomend other WPS for repairs with  PQR and review result test.

Regards
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A 514 plate