Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Level I
- - By U09137 Date 08-30-2007 15:04
Can a CWI Level I sign off on VT and PT?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-30-2007 15:08
Ummmm, sorry, but it sounds like you may be confusing two sets of qualification standards here?  A CWI can sign off on any visual weld inspection with exception of those codes that require an ASNT-TC-1a VT or and ASME Section XI VT.  "Normally" speaking, "Level 1, 2, and 3" are definations used by the ASNT Organization or CWB.  Am I confused?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-30-2007 15:46
A CWI cannot sign off on a PT report with the CWI cert alone, however a CWI may have multiple other certifications that qualify them for doing so. ASME XI VT1 as of 98 accepts a CWI for VT 1. (Div 1, article VI-4110) for confusions sake, VT 1, 2, and 3 in the nuclear world are surface, leak, and pumps and valves respectively. Not as in Level 1,2, and 3 TC-1A. I realize you know that jon, the post was meant for some level of clarification for others.
Parent - - By U09137 Date 08-30-2007 16:51 Edited 08-30-2007 16:54
Perhaps my question should be, upon completion of the CWI Seminar in Philly next month and assuming I pass, would I be certified to visually test and sign off as the inspector?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2007 03:47 Edited 09-03-2007 17:54
To what code?

One thing you should learn in the seminar is that each code is different from the next in one respect or another.

Requirements for ASME are different from those of API or AWS or military standards. That applies to materials, design assumptions, welding requirements, inspection requirements, and acceptance criteria.

A weld can't be inspected and accepted until the inspector knows what code and acceptance criteria is applicable.

The inspector isn't qualified to inspect until it is known what the qualification and certification requirements are for the code that is applicable to the work being performed.

Before you attend the AWS seminar, read "Welding Inspection Technology" and answer the questions in the workbook. Call Miami and make arrangements to get the books a few weeks in advance of the seminar. Likewise, purchase the code that you expect to use for the "Open Book" code examination and read it a couple of times to become familiar with its contents. After the seminar I believe you will agree that it was time well spent.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 09-03-2007 22:16
Don't get ahead of yourself.

You haven't even taken the seminar let alone the exam.

If you pass you should be able to sign off to whatever code you tested with.

Make sure you know your stuff before you start rejecting welds or you won't stick around very long.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 09-04-2007 21:40
You should be able to sign off to whatever code your sense of ethics tells you you can sign off on.  There isn't a test for every code out there; it wasn't that long ago that there was no D1.5 test.  The code portion tests your ability to work to *a* code, not necessarily just *that* code.

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Level I