Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Headed out
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2007 20:34
Hello Everyone;

I have to head out of town for a week. I never know if I'll have internet access or not. If not, I'll just have to wait a week to see what new and interesting questions and answers appear in the forum.

It should be a fun week, I have to do a hands-on class for aluminum pipe using GTAW and GMAW. It's good to do some hands-on now and again. I don't get to do that much of it anymore.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By darren (***) Date 09-09-2007 03:01
hope you have the access to the net because you are a very important part of the forum. have a safe trip
darren
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-09-2007 04:26
Have a good trip Al

... and leave the scotch brite at home
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-09-2007 09:41
Hey Al,

have a safe trip, take care of you and... lots of fun !

Best regards,
Stephan

P.S. By the way, I agree 100% with darren!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2007 12:58
Thanks Fellas!

Al
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 09-09-2007 17:08 Edited 09-09-2007 17:16
al , i was going to reply to one of your other post you have on acetone for cleaning and haven't . for all the young people that read them you need to stress using correct ppe because acetone can enter your system thru skin contact , as i recall it attacks your organs , i'll try to look up thru my hasmat stuff more info later . mabe others will chime in . i wish i was able to go with you . as always thanks for all the nice things you do on the forum . good luck . willie
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2007 18:42
You make an important point Willie.

Safety must always be a consideration when working with chemicals of any kind.

I have attended many seminars on worker safety and I'm certified in HAZMAT, so I know how important it is to recognize the hazards and toxicity of the chemicals we use everyday. It is easy to forget that those individuals that are new to metal working industries may not be as familiar with the dangers as we are.

There are a number of solvents that (used to be used and some still are used) that are harmful to our bodies and are easily absorbed through our skin.  A few chemical concoctions that come to mind include: gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, MEK, acetone, and the list goes on and on. 

What many workers don't recognize are the hazards associated with using chemicals in combination. At one seminar, the speaker said that less than 10% of the industrial chemicals have been tested in combination with other common chemicals. One example he gave us was the deadly combination of the fumes from the chemicals used in dry cleaning and ethyl alcohol. The scenario he gave us was a woman that had her dress dry cleaned in the morning so she could wear the dress in the evening. The combination of the fumes lingering in the fabric from the dry cleaning solvent and a mixed drink killed her.

There was mention of chemicals (both acidic and basic) used to clean aluminum in one of the recent threads. The chemicals used to clean base metals may be buffered, but still, they can cause serious chemical burns that are painful and take a very long time to heal. I remember one acid I used for etching aluminum, fluoric acid; the chemist would not allow any of his technicians to mix it for me and he told me that it is easily absorbed through the skin and the warning that it causes bone cancer. The bottom line is that we should always wear chemical resistant gloves and protective eyewear when using these chemicals. 

As welders, employed in the metalworking industry, we are exposed to numerous safety hazards everyday. It is important that we don't become calloused and forgetful of the hazards.

Thanks again for the reminder.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-10-2007 05:52
m not mistaken acetone causes damage to nervous system and select tissues especially the liver ....I am well aware of this and I handle it infrequently now ...I use to almost bathe in the stuff.   ITs a very usefull chemical in a welding enviorment....and I dare say not near as dangerous as mpk,mek.     Acetone-however this stuff will affect your nervous system almost immidiately upon ingestion...just take a woof of it and see if you dont see faries!      its dangerous to your health and precautions shoudl be taken not to come in skin contact with it, not to breathe it.  I could say the same for many solvents that are used daily mostely in the painting world...but quite a bit when in regards to weld prep.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-10-2007 10:53
seeing fairies? well I've seen a lot of things when overcome by various fumes but I can't say as I've ever seen fairies. I believe you are correct in that it's nervous system and liver.
It will screw you up in hurry if your not careful.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Headed out