Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 70S-3 vs 70S-6
- - By kellie_paiche Date 09-09-2007 21:25
Hello,

Please advise the advantages of using 70S-3 over 70S-6 for a GTAW process.

I just started working in the EPC industry (yes fresh out of school) and was reviewing vendor WPS/PQRs. One vendor used 70S-6 for a GTAW root pass while the other used 70S-3 for a GTAW root pass.

From the ASME material specification, 70S-6 has higher manganese and silicon and thus better suited for welding materials with mill scale. In addition in SFA 5.18 it states that 70S-3 is widely used for GMAW processes. I am assuming that even though it has less deoxidizers, the slag produced by the GMAW process offsets the low mang and silicon.

Your thoughts would be appreciated....

kellie
Parent - By jws Date 09-09-2007 22:18
I would say that speaking of the gtaw process, 70S-3 can be used in single or multiple pass welds in all positions. It does not have the deoxidizers to weld over rust or rimmed steels. I would use it on root pass and multiple pass welds because surely the joint prep should be free of mill scale and other oxides. 70S-6 on the other hand is a good general purpose filler wire. Like you said it has the highest level of silicon and manganese and with the added bonus of deoxidizers this wire will weld over rust and other oxides making smooth welds on sheet metal and thicker sections. when used on dirty surfaces there will be a lowering of it's mechanical properties , but not normally below WPS/PQR requirements. I would just say to use 70S-3 on real critical applications and 70S-6 on general noncritical weldments--- experiment.
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 09-10-2007 00:02
Kellie,

Typically either S-3 or S-6 are used for GMAW.  The S-3 for well-cleaned weldments, and S-6 where there may be more mill scale present (thus, it has more deoxidizers).

For GTAW, S-2 is often used.

Also, you say that "even though it has less deoxidezers, the slag produced by the GMAW process..." - there is no slag with the GMAW process.  The differences in deoxidizing is due mostly to the levels of Si and Mn (shielding gas can also play a part).

As long as the vendors achieved acceptable NDT and mechanical properties - and as long as there is no contractual limitation - either would work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 70S-3 vs 70S-6