Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Too much weld reinforcement ??
- - By FSmalley (**) Date 09-10-2007 12:41
I currently have a situation whereas we have 2- 1 1/2" plates welded in a tee joint configuration.  One plate is beveled both sides and welded on one side and back gouged then welded.  My question is this... The weld calls for 3/8" of weld beyond the base material. the welder put in 1" of weld, is this too much reinforcement and if so where in AWS D1.1 is this found?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-10-2007 12:47
If you are the inspector, I would make note of your findings, and let the EOR make the call whether to cut it out, if it is going to a problem. Oversized fillet welds have been discussed on here before, but I think it is more of a fit for service type situation, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything, it is just wasted man hours and filler material.
Parent - By FSmalley (**) Date 09-10-2007 12:59
that was kind of what i figured.  I will make note.

Thank you !
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-11-2007 12:53
Going strictly by the D 1.1 Code (06), Page 73, Note g to the Figure 3.3 and 3.4, this is not prohibited.  Furthermore, because it is a TEE Joint, you will find that the 1/8 inch maximum reinforcement found in Figure 5.4 does not apply.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Too much weld reinforcement ??