Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wire feed module
- - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 09-09-2007 02:21
Hello everybody.  Looking for a little information about a wire feed module for my Red-D-Arc 300K 3+3 welder.   I've beed looking at the Lincoln K623-1 module on the Lincoln site and can't quite figure out if this will work on my machine.  Has anyone added one of these to their welder and if so, how did it work out?  Thanks in advance for any help.  Tom
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 09-09-2007 04:51
Tom , I am not that familiar with that particular model but most are just plug and play. I just bought one from miller the 12VS and all you need to do is hook it up to the positive cable connect it's ground cable and your off to the races ,works like a hot damm. Have used other lincoln systems as well that where set up the same way and they worked equally as well but did not have a soft start feature though I am sure their newer models would. Any of the available units will operate on most DC power sources.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 09-09-2007 14:54
HI Richard.  Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing...The wire feed module I'm looking at converts the CC output from my welder to CV.  I use a couple of LN25 wire feeders but run dual shield wire with CO2 and they work pretty well for what I've been doing but I'm too limited.  Need the CV circuit. 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 09-12-2007 15:42
Hey Tom, Thats a different animal altogether. Are you wanting to weld aluminum ? I believe that is why you would want to run CV. I have always had this feature built into the machine. But to run the aluminum spool gun There is still an adapter which has to be hooked into the circuit and for tig you still need a Hi-freq box. I am not sure if those features are available for your machine. Lincoln does offer those options I do not know about Red-D-Arc.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-12-2007 15:56
Hello gentlemen, I believe that Miller makes a bunch of the inverter machines that Red-d-Arc has their sheet metal put onto. I also seem to recall that many of their engine driven machines are based on a similar scenario using the Lincoln chassis. You should be able to get any of the add-on features for these machines that would be available through Miller or Lincoln for their regular line. I don't believe that Red-d-Arc builds any of their own machines. There should be an internal module that can be added onto the machine to give it CV capability, as far as high frequency goes, makeithot is correct in saying that it requires an external unit, I believe. Just my $.02. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 09-13-2007 12:56
Thanks for the responses, guys.  My welder is made by Lincoln with a Red-D-Arc decal.  It has a Kubota diesel and looks just like the Lincoln pipeliner.  It is strictly a CC machine designed for stick welding.  My wire feeders work okay running them in CC mode also - burning E71-T1 wire.  However, out of position welding can be a little tricky.  Now the Lincoln pipeliner - basically the same machine - can come with a wire feed module, the K623-1, but I'm not sure it'd work with my machine.  Not trying to weld aluminum or anything with this unit.  I just wondered if anyone has any experience with similar equipment and did they have any luck with it.  Does anyone have a lincoln Pipeliner with the CV circuit build in?  And how does it work?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-13-2007 14:45
Hello Wrench Tech, after reading your reply describing the machine that you have I believe you are correct in thinking that this particular machine cannot be modified to produce CV current. If my memory serves me correctly you will also need to be careful with regards to using the CC current to do certain types of FCAW welding as some of the codes don't permit this with CC current(I believe this limitation refers specifically to the use of gas shielded FCAW wires using CC power sources, but not necessarily the self-shielded wires). I'm sure that others on the forum here can give you better specifics with regards to this limitation. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-13-2007 15:00
Here you go Allen

D1.1 2006

"3.2.4 FCAW and GMAW Power Sources. FCAW
and GMAW that is done with prequalified WPSs shall
be performed using constant voltage (CV) power
supplies."

The code permits CC  GMAW and FCAW, but imposes qualification of procedures per section 4
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-13-2007 15:16
Hello Lawrence, and thank you for the clarification. I notice the end note allowing some modification based on qualification according to sec. 4 of the code. I have not looked through this to see what it covers specifically, is it generally based on the parameters of wires and joint configurations as well as the testing of these upon completion of the test welds? Yes, I'm being lazy and curious at the same time. Your response or that of others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-13-2007 16:10
Allan,

I'm pretty sure if you want to comply with D1.1 and use CC power for GMAW or FCAW it requires the entire procedure to be qualified per section 4.

So the whole PQR enchalada is required for the material types, process, foot notes, etc.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-13-2007 19:00
thanks, Lawrence. Regards, Allan
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 09-30-2007 16:22
Hi Guys
Just an update on this.  A letter to the Lincoln site assured me that the K623-1 module would work for my welder so I bought one and with a lot of help from a tech in Alberta its all wired in and working.  What a beautiful difference!   Should've bought one a long time ago.  Thanks for the input Guys.
Tom

PS.  I read a good one on the web somewhere yesterday - something like this:
"The last weld you put in was good practice for your next one." 

How true.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wire feed module