Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Stainless Steel
- - By jnasr00 Date 09-18-2007 05:40
Hi,
I am attempting to repair a Stainless Steel 21-6-9 (Nitronic 40) bracket that is carrying an exhaust duct that operates at high temperature using GTAW and a Inconel 625 filler metal (ER NiCrMo-3).
Has anyone used such a combination for use in high temperature areas before or does anyone know where I can get authoritive information on their compatibility and characteristics?

cheers
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-18-2007 07:31
hi

I am curious as to why you would not use 219 or a 309 filler here.........I do belive the 625 inconel will join them successfully but why use it to begin with.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-18-2007 08:13
Speaking of better minds, Don't see why a 309 wouldn't do the trick either.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-18-2007 08:08 Edited 09-18-2007 08:10
N40 has an min. tensile of 620, and the NiCrMo-3 is 760. The filler also doesn't seem to match the chems very well, and is not recommended for temps above 1000F. Maybe some better minds will chime in here, but it doesn't appear that this is a very good match.

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=NMETEK053
Reference ASME SFA 5.11 for the filler.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-18-2007 14:11
TJ is right. Why overthink this when the 219/309 fillers are the recommended choices?
If for some reason you wish to get more 'sophisticated' or 'specific' with a choice you should acquire high temp data sheets for the BM and WM's to compare. Consult the manufacturers and engineer the thing.
Of course, getting data sheets even for the recommended choices and understanding your materials is still a good idea.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-18-2007 14:18
Just did a quick peruse of some data and discoverd that NiCrMo-3 will maintain high tensiles to 1200deg then drop off a cliff. But I'm guessin the manufacturers would recommend other (and more expensive) alloys more suitable to high temp applications than NiCrMo-3.
My old Inco data also says that NiCrMo-3 will demonstrate 100,000 hrs rupture life at ~20ksi at ~1400deg for solution treated material.
If you don't wish to assimilate and engineer this kind of data, or if you aren't the responsible materials engineer, in which case you shouldn't need us, then I'd go with the recommended choices.
Parent - - By jnasr00 Date 09-19-2007 00:39
Thanks alot for your replies.

Sorry for the confusion, what happened was that my welder did not follow the procedure provided and welded the 21-6-9 brackets with Inconel 625. What I want to know is what affect this will have and would i need to deal with this error straight away.

If anyone has references that would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-19-2007 13:49
The first thing is that you need engineering to disposition the fact that you violated your WPS.
Then you need to develope a new WPS if found acceptable or cut out the 625 if not.
And this depends upon what code you are working to. Some codes make prior WPS development explicit (for example ASME Section III), some do not(for example B31.3). If there are interpretations to the contrary I am not aware of them.
The second thing is, depending upon the EXACT service intended 625 could well be quite adequate, as indicated to some extent by the properties listed above. The manufacturers would be glad to supply you with more detailed info on 625 pertaining to high temp strength, ductility, creep, etc. which should be then used by engineering to disposition the mistake.
My opinion is, if we are talking about one, or a couple welds, I'd cut em out. If alot of welds, I'd try going the other way.
As always, there is no escaping the engineering. There are no cookie cutter methods to resolve such situations, unless of course you have no concern for economics. And this is seldom the case with any of us.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-20-2007 07:59
well said
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Stainless Steel