Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining A572 Gr 50- A668 Forged Clevis
- - By BankerQC (*) Date 09-21-2007 22:47
Thanx in advance to any and all help or responses.
I am looking for info (and any associated problems) regarding fillet welding a572 Gr 50 rods (2.5 - 3.0"dia.)
to A668 forged steel clevises (they are heat treated).
Specifically any problems that can arise and factors to be considered regarding weldablity.
Advice for joint prep and electrodes would also be helpful.

Again thanx for any input.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 09-22-2007 00:33
Find below the search results for the material you've specified. Please note here this information is NOT to be used for design purposes, and in no event shall MSO be liable for any damages arising from the misuse of this information

Carbon Steels A572 Grade 50
Related Metals:     No Related Metal names.  
Specifications:     No Specifications.

Chemistry Data
MSO currently has no data available for this grade.

General Information

Principal Design Features

ASTM A572 covers structural quality, high strength, columbium-vanadium low alloy steel.

Applications

Used for structural steel shapes in the construction of bridges, building or similar structures. It may be joined by riveting, bolting or welding.

Machinability

Machinability of Grade 50 alloy is fair. It is basically like AISI 8615 low alloy steel.

Forming

This steel contains more alloying elements than plain carbon steel and thus is somewhat more difficult to form.

Welding

Weldable by all of the standard methods.

Heat Treatment

This steel is used in the "as-supplied" condition. However it is possible to obtain higher level of strength by specifying Quenched and Tempered steel plate as per reference specification ASTM A514 which calls for heating at not less than 1650 F and quenching in water or oil followed by tempering.

Forging

This steel is supplied in plate, shapes and bar forms. It is not subsequently forged by the user.

Hot Working

Hot working may be done if necessary. Consult the steel supplier for information.

Cold Working

Grade 50 is more difficult to cold work than ordinary plain carbon steel. However it can be bent or shaped successfully but requires more force than for plain carbon steel.

Annealing

Annealing, if required, can be done at 1700 f and slow furnace cooled.

Aging

Not applicable.

Tempering

Refer to ASTM A 514 for reference on quenched and tempered steel plate. Tempering of the quenched steel is done at a temperature of 1200 to 1300 F.

Hardening

Hardens by cold working or by heat treatment, quench and tempering per ASTM A514.

Other Comments

This steel is similar to AISI 1330. However Grade 50 requirements are for minimum 50 ksi yield and 65 ksi tensile with 21% elongation. Physical and other mechanical properties are similar to 1330 steel

Physical Data

Density (lb / cu. in.)

Specific Gravity

Specific Heat (Btu/lb/Deg F - [32-212 Deg F])

Melting Point (Deg F)

Thermal Conductivity

Mean Coeff Thermal Expansion

Modulus of Elasticity Tension

Modulus of Elasticity Torsion

Parent - By darren (***) Date 09-22-2007 00:53
I couldn't find any info that would help with the a668.
but i would assume that it is all going have to be annealed and then tempered depending on the application. perhaps you could elablorate.
darren
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-22-2007 01:59
ASTM A668 covers quite a variety of steels.  From those that are readily welable, to those that are weldable only with great care, to some you don't want to touch with an arc of any kind if you can avoid it.  You need to fill in more details about the kind of steel the clevis is.  Since clevises aren't normally welded, and can see high stresses, it could easily be a very high stength variety that you don't want to weld at all.   However, if the clevis material was chosen specifically for this project, and it was known that welding was involved, it could be another story all together. 
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-22-2007 04:12
http://www.matweb.com/index.asp?ckck=1
this site lists data sheets for over 64000 metals,plastics ceramics and composites.
I know it dont answer your question,but i think most will find it a good site!
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 09-22-2007 05:58
awesome site
thanks
darren
Parent - - By BankerQC (*) Date 09-22-2007 10:24
Thank you for all the info and the link.
We are pretty familier with the welding of A-572 Gr 50 material, pretty common in our shop.
Where I am hitting the "brick wall" is with the welding of it to the A-668 Class F clevis.
I am very curious (because I have no experience with) the welding of forged materials.
We know that they (the clevises) are heat treated and regularly placed into service conditions where they are exposed to temps. up to and above 650 deg F. so preheating for welding to 150-225 F. doesnt seem as tho it would present problems to the finished weldment. I am curious about the disimilarity of the materials (grain structure etc.) and and the problems that may arise....types of indications that may be encounterd in the finished welds, thier causes and what type of SMAW or FCAW electrode would present the least problems/ concerns in a field welding situation.
Thanx again Gentlemen !
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-24-2007 12:52
Hi Bob,
Is there a possible way to "bolt" vs "weld" in this situation?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-25-2007 22:37
Class F of ASTM A668 is one of the more weldable grades as it is only approx 90 tensile strength depending on thickness.  The material you have could be low to medium carbon depending on the practiced of the forge that produced it.  I see that in ASME Section IX, the A668 class F is a S1 group 3 material, so welding practices should be similar to other materials in that group. 

As far as welding forgings, there is not any inherent problem in welding forgings to plate, forgings to forgings, etc.  It all depends on what each material is made of, and what the properties are.

As far as electrodes go, unless specified otherwise in the design, you generally only need to meet the requirements of the lower strength material (and it is also less likely to cause problems than using higher strength), so E71T-1 or E7018-1 are good choices.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining A572 Gr 50- A668 Forged Clevis