Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Forms and Data Base
- - By Louis (*) Date 05-17-2002 18:26
Does anyone know of an inexpensive and easy to use software program that will allow you to generate forms to document welder qualifications, welding procedure specifications and keep a database of these records?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-17-2002 20:31
I have a microsft access 97 application already made up for welder qualifications. Nothing fancy but it works. I have a web site at http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com that has some information that may be what you are looking for.

I can also provide a stand alone version that doesn't require Microsft access but it takes a little more effort on my part.

I've had quite a few downloads of some of the programs but nobody has given me any feedback.

Anyway, Have a nice day,

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By stan ford (*) Date 05-20-2002 18:09
Download Weldspec and Welderqual from http://weldoffice.com and have your docs finished in minutes. Hope this helps.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-20-2002 22:53
Where is the inexpensive version on the C-spec site?

Weldspec $2395.00
Welderqual $1595.00

I couldn't find on the site what is disabled iin the demo version. If it prints out forms completed as entered, the demo is a great deal!

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin

Parent - - By stan ford (*) Date 05-21-2002 20:59
Weldspec and Welderqual are very inexpensive. Compare their cost with the cost of:
1) Hiring a truly Code knowledgeable welding engineering consultant.
2) Hiring a welding engineer full-time or part time.
3) Hiring anybody to enter and maintain welding data in any database lacking code checking and then justifying their documentation acceptance to the clients.

The demo version does print out forms completed as entered. I suggest calling their technical support at 888-673-9777 for details.

Have a nice day,

Stan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-21-2002 23:04
1) If you didn't have a knowledgable person, would you let them qualify welders and wirte procedures. The variable ranges both for welder and procedure qualification are by NO Means a replacement for good sound welding practices.
2) No where is an engineer required for qualifcation of welders or procedures however as with 1 above,. Software is no replacement.
3) Do AI's not review wps/pqrs and wpqs that have been prepared by a software program such as above?

I do aggree that the product is very nice and I am going to request a demo version and check it out.

I work at some fabricators that have a hard time justifying the purchase of welding lenses and paint markers. So getting them to put out $4000.00 for something that can be done by hand is a little steep.

Does Autocad get rid of the need for draftsmen/designers, does excel/quickbooks/peachtree mean you don't need an accountant?

Have a good day

Parent - By WallyT Date 05-22-2002 15:03
I fired my accountant when I bought Quickbooks and Turbotax!
Parent - - By stan ford (*) Date 05-22-2002 19:00
Not suggesting replacement of personnel by software. The point is SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE has to deal with the welding documentation. Usually, that SOMEONE is paid more per hour than can be justified to perform basic filing and tracking functions. The whole point of using software is to help people automate and speed up repetitive and time consuming tasks. Yes you could build a car by hand without investing in automation. But, would you be saving any money?

Now, put yourself in client's shoes for a moment and ask yourself: Would I prefer my consultant (or subcontractor) use the latest tools? Or would I rather be told that my work is being done "by hand"?

Autocad did not get rid of the need for draftsmen or designers and accounting software did not get rid of accountants. But do you know of any draftsman, designers or accountants still in business today who do not use specialized software?

Calculating return on investment is a reliable method by which you can easily justify the price tag of anything. Just use the time spent on documentation multiplied by the salary rate. Any serious code weld shop will quickly see that it is loosing money by not using the software. Doing a little bit of math should also show that the welding lenses and paint markers could also be affordable.

Have a nice and a good day.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-22-2002 19:25
At some point automation does provide a return. It may take a while with a fabricator/erector with 10 WPS's and 30 welders. Tracking that type of documentation is not a moumental task. I could build a go-cart with automation, but would I be saving any money?

I worked a piping job one time where the entire plant was modeled in 3d. I was given nice computer generated ISO's and told to run the pipe. I calculated the dimensions given on the ISO's with my little HP32 calulator, plumb bob and water level an behold, a 6" pipe was running through a 14" beam. The foreman who couldn't even use my calculator indicated he could show me on the "Model" where the piping went. We went to the computer and there was the pipe running through the beam. This was not what was intended and the piping was re-routed. It was done by hand.

Specialized software has a place but many of the functions of software are rigid. If you learn how to utilize a computer fully, many of the things that are done by specialized software can be performed with off the shelf applications that have much more versatility.

I agree that it is very useful. It just may not be for everyone. I ordered a trial version today and am looking forward to checking it out.

I hope everyone isn't getting tired of this but I have enjoyed the discussion and have re thought some of my positions.

Have a good day.

G Austin
Parent - By stan ford (*) Date 05-22-2002 19:54
I guess "Louis" should tell us whether he's making go-carts or chevys?
Likewise, enjoyed the discussion. Have a productive day. stan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2002 19:49
I have played with my "welderqual" program a little and I'm very impressed. It is a very efficient visual basic application with microsoft access table's.

I would highly recomend it for anyone with the money to spend.

G. Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Forms and Data Base