Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Section 2.8.3.5 (Fillet Welds)
- - By mfahren Date 09-25-2007 13:00
We have a field condition where the steel fabricator continued a fillet weld for a stiffener plate on a beam around the top end of the stiffener up onto the side of the beam flange and back onto the other side of the stiffener, tying together fillet welds on the opposite sides of a common plane.

Section 2.8.3.5 of AWS D1.1 states that these welds shall be interrupted at the common corner.  My question is that since this has already been done, would it be sufficient to grind off the fillet weld at the corner, effectively separating the welds?  Thanks.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 13:35
Figure 2.8 shows an example of what the paragraph 2.8.3.5 is talking about...but that shows a plate on the top flange.
I'm not grasping your question completely about how the stiffener plate is welded in the web and to the flange(s)(<---depending whether it was a full depth stiffener or not) I think that I would take a pic of the weld(s) in question and ask the EOR whether or not the welds need to be seperated or left "as-is".

We had some flexible connections welded up completely by a welder who missed the "5/8" return at the top" and welded the clip angles completely across the top.....the EOR said to leave it, this time....so it might be worth the question to the EOR to save the expense of repairing.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 13:59
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest concern for closing welds in such a manner, if I understand the post correctly, is not so much joint viability as it is that once you do you have no way of knowing if your fillet is big enough, viability in a different way. You have no way of determining if there was a gap that needs to be compensated with more weld.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 09-25-2007 16:31 Edited 09-25-2007 16:44
Although we never weld these in our shop except when galvanized, I personally don't see a problem with it as long as there is no undercut.  The location of the weld increases the potential for notching at the very edges of the flange and stiffener but if there is no undercut at these edges, I don't really see notching to be an issue.  I agree with John to check with the EOR.  Just because something is not in accordance with the code doesn't mean that it isn't acceptable, but only the EOR can make that call.  I've seen these welded to hide the fact that the stiffeners were cut too short in the shop, as suggested by js55.  Just curious..... Why are you checking shop welds in the field? 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Section 2.8.3.5 (Fillet Welds)