Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / An open letter to American Welding Society Forum Membership
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 15:47
Dear Fellow Forum Members;

As most of you know, Chuck Meadows has been battling cancer for some time now.  While I have no doubts Chuck will survive this horrible illness I ask that you keep him in your prayers.

Even before finding out about Chuck's illness, I had been scheming on ways of having a named American Welding Society Scholarship as a way of honoring the great contributions he's made in our field.

Unfortunately, Avesta Welding has been non-responsive to my requests for sponsorship funding so to that end I am going to begin coordinating with some of the other stainless steel filler metal producers, as Chuck's done so much for the stainless world I'm sure there are other willing participants in this cause.

If any of you should wish to contribute to the Chuck Meadows Scholarship fund, please contact Mr. Samuel W. Gentry, Jr., Executive Director for the American Welding Society Foundation.  You may contact Mr. Gentry at 1-800-443-9353, Ext. 331 or via his e-mail address: sgentry@aws.org

Warmest regards,

Jon
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-26-2007 19:11
Hello Jon, thank you from myself and others, I'm sure, for initiating a very worthwhile endeavor. As you said, Chuck has made a great impact on education and implementation with regards to understanding many of the idiosyncrasies surrounding stainless steels, their weldability, and applications. I too believe that Chuck will weather the cancer storm and live to enjoy many other days and wish him continued success in his fight. Once again, great idea. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 19:20
Thank you Allan. Odd, when speaking to Chuck's direct manager, he mentioned that he thought this idea was a very poor one as he felt Chuck would take the gesture as a eulogy to Chuck... I listened to him, politely but dare not share the thoughts I was having while being lectured by this person...

In all honesty, this is about honoring a very fine and key member of our industry, one who has made monumental contributions to the field of stainless steel welding.  My next steps are to begin contacting the producers of stainless steel base metals and, possibly even the competitive filler metal producers of Avesta; Lincoln, Arcos, ESAB, etc. 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-26-2007 19:43
Hello again Jon, I have another take on this as well. The willingness to be in support of this by anyone is also about helping individuals to succeed with education and furthering knowledge, at the same time it recognizes an individual's contributions. I certainly don't view this as a eulogy, I view it as a tribute to one individuals willingness to share his personal knowledge freely with everyone. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 19:58
Thanks so kindly Allan and your view is precisely that of my own. 

I've just contacted a former colleague, who is one of the industry GIANTS in the field of stainless steel welding and I'm hopeful he may shed some wisdom about fundraising also!!! ;-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-05-2007 05:05
dang does everyone have cancer i'm starting to feel bad about comming here with my troubles yall have enuff of your own to worry about my family
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-06-2007 03:37
Don't feel bad about it, You need all the moral & other support You can get.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / An open letter to American Welding Society Forum Membership