Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-1
- - By gsi (**) Date 09-26-2007 19:55
After reviewing a subcontractor WPS/PQR for FCAW on P1 materials (ASME IX). The polarity they have listed is not something I typically see. They have listed DCEN on the wps and pqr. I was thinking it was a typo but they are determining to run DCEN because they qualified it. Is this acceptable?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-26-2007 22:02
Hello gsi, are they in fact using E71T-1, which to me would indicate a dual-shield wire product requiring gas shielding and a DCEP polarity or are they using a FCAW self-shielded wire which would in fact support the DCEN polarity selection? The gasless wire could still be an E71T-11 or possibly E71T-8 or something else. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By gsi (**) Date 09-27-2007 11:55
Oh I'm with yea aevald ! It is in fact a E71T-1 dual shield wire! I had to run some last night just to satisfy my curiosity. I set the machine up and ran a fillet weld about 12" long on DCEP. I then used the same setting with DCEN. Lots of spatter and slag was more defect to remove.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 09-27-2007 13:54
Sounds like the person that wrote the WPS has his leads crossed up.;-)  I'd keep on them if i were you because you are right and they are wrong.  Probably just a simple mistake back in the begining somewhere with some lack of comunication.  Happens all the time brotha witch worries me.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 13:59
Hello again gsi, this is one of those things that I likely can't answer, mainly because if you never run it that way(it is spec'd to be used with DCEP) and do any testing or an analysis of the end results, it would be hard to say if there are any detrimental effects caused by switching the polarity. I have followed other threads speaking to polarity switching on electrodes, I believe there was one just recently where they discussed E6010 and the possible problems with doing this very thing. As I recall in that thread there was the possibility of having some cracking issues when the E6010 was operated on straight polarity in certain scenarios. Nonetheless, I can certainly see where you would not understand the reason for the straight polarity use on this wire, operator appeal and the possible metallurgical issues would tell me to run it the way it was designed to be run. Just my $.02. Hopefully someone else might be able to better speak to this topic. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 14:26
I would really have to doubt if the weldment was made with DCEN. The first thing that would most likely happen is the welders would complain. Justifiably.
T-1 typically does not contian the arc stabilizers necessary for DCEN or even AC. And it generally shows at the arc.
Parent - By gsi (**) Date 09-27-2007 14:42
Thx for all the comments
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-1