Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for SA-200 mechanical advice
- - By louieRD (**) Date 09-26-2007 19:39
My machine is an SA-200 F163.  I have just rebuilt the carb.  Fuel line and carb checked out o.k.  I replaced condensor, rotor and rotor cap.  Now the machine is turning over and just makes a popping noise and puffs out a little bit of black smoke.  But I can't get it to catch and start up.  I've searched for mechanics and can't find one that will deal with a machine with a magneto.  I have a copy of the instruction manual IM-129 and have gone through the troubleshooting areas.  As of 3 weeks ago, before I rebuild I rebuilt the carb the machine ran fine, but had alot of sediment in the fuel line.

Would anyone be willing to share any advice?
Parent - By banshee35 (**) Date 09-26-2007 21:53
If it ran fine before you rebuilt the carb and it doesn't run after the carb was rebuilt, my thoughts are saying its the carb. Did you put the original parts back in the magneto? Did you remove the magneto at all? If so, Did you re time it?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-27-2007 07:44
sounds like you got a wire crossed the firing order on those machine is 1342 1 is the inside top on the cap and 2 is the inside left bottom on the cap and yes banshe is right if you took the mag off and it aint timed right thats it too but it sounds like a timing or wire problem to me i had the same thing on my machine and the wires were crossed
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-27-2007 12:00
Thanks, I'm going to check the wires now and timing and go from there.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-27-2007 13:06
I have the procedure for setting up and timing your mag on my website.

http://billswelderrepair.com/magneto-timing.html
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-28-2007 20:17
i got the procedure from your site , excellent instructions ,as i have never even done anything except change oil and radiator fluid and other routine tune up checks. kudos to you for having a web site of that caliber!!
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 09-28-2007 21:23
I agree with Shad and the others.  You have a wire crossed, or timing problem.  The reason you get the sputter once in a while is that after rolling over and over enough fuel builds up and fires once or twice in one of the cylinders but it does not actually run.  Hope you get it licked soon so you can hit the beat and make a few bucks :)
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 09-29-2007 04:15
KSellon

Great web site! Makes me want to go buy an old SA 200 just so I can send it to you.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-30-2007 19:32 Edited 09-30-2007 19:36
I have installed the magneto.  I started it and it ran.  I'm so happy it's alive.  However, something's not sounding right.  I messed with the magneto, giving it slight taps and moving the bottom in and out and listening for change in the exhaust.  I also toyed with the needle valve on the carb, still sounded off and the carb pops out grey smoke and exhaust pipe pops also. 

I looked at the spark plug wires and I'm wondering what exactly does solid core plug wires mean?  Because the only ones I could find around this area seem to have a rubber sealed bunch of fibers for their core.  Are these solid core?  If not, does anyone know where to get a good set of plug wires or bulk cable where I can press my own ends?  If these are solid core, obviously something else is wrong, as always I appreciate all the professional advice.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 10-01-2007 02:11
www.aeiokla.com this guy can help you out with anything on these mags. and cables. I think his name Tom. he sold me some cable and I made my own. and if you call him real early he'll get them out to you next day.  
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-01-2007 02:48
What You are describing are resistor or "radio safe" wires. The others have stranded copper wire, which may or may not be tinned.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 10-01-2007 22:23
Thanks for the website.  I had ordered the guts for a marv.sheb carb from him a little while ago.  He's sending me my plug wires.  Magnetos have their own rules compared to distributor cap and rotor type systems.  I've just learned this the slow and inconvenient way.  Thanks again for all your help.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 10-02-2007 12:59
We are a service company and I am glad we could be of service. There are other links on our engine drive page that should be able to help you out further. Look at linkage settings, etc. EVERYTHING that is underlined on our site is a link. Everyone should be educated about their equipment so they don't get robbed or misinformed. Good luck gentlemen.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-03-2007 07:17
you already found som ewires but i get alot of my stuff like that from oriellys auto parts in town set of make ur own wires was like 12.00
Parent - - By todrod Date 01-07-2008 03:00
KSELLON, I have purchased an sa200 and w/f163 with a magneto. I have read your article on timing the magneto by #4 cylinder. My question is, the machine has had new points and a condensor put in before I bought it. They could not get it to fire. I see where they had take the points back plate off to take out the coil. I had readjusted the points to 0.020 by Lincolns specs., but no avail. How is the best way to realign the gears on the inside if the magneto in relation to TDC. Also I had seen the coil had some small cracks around the edge of the coil. Will this cause the coil to break down after it heats up, or is this normal?
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 01-07-2008 14:31
It is not normal to have cracks on the coil. Check the secondary on your coil. There should be marks on your gears. I sent you an email with phone numbers to my mag guy.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for SA-200 mechanical advice