Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Coke drum
- - By jiweiming (**) Date 09-25-2007 07:38
I would like to get some data about design and manufacturing about big Cole drum which is the primary equipment in Delayed coking unit of oil refinery. Anyone who could do would be well appreciated. Many thanks.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-25-2007 20:49
The words "Delayed Coke" and hence "Delayed Coking" are (or at least were) a registered trade mark of The M. W. Kellogg Company. They were who developed the delayed coking process and patented it.
This means that the design and manufacturing of delayed coke drums are (or at least were) a confidential information of M.W. Kellogg and their licensees. The former Japan Gasoline Co. (now JGC) are (or at least were) one of them.
This in turn means that the design and manufacturing of delayed coke units are proprietary information that, apart from being protected by patents, are not disclosed to third parties.
What is in the public dominion is the erection of the drums. One recent issue of Welding Journal describes step by step how to weld the drums. I'm at School now, but tonight, when I'll be back home, I'll take a look at my collection of the magazines to see in which issue the article was published, and tomorrow I'll let you know that.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil    
Parent - - By jiweiming (**) Date 09-26-2007 00:25
You are so kind,Crisi.
Actually, their are many countries which now can design and manufacturing Coke Drum.For example, Chicago Bridge Iron Company(CBI) can do it.Generally, we roll the steel plate perpendicular to the direction of rolling,however, CBI rolls the steel plate parallel to the rolling direction. So when manufacturing the Coke Drum, there would be least circular bead and more longnitudinal bead, which is good for the service of the Coke Drum. Coke Drum have to bear fatigue stress in the high temperature enviroment.
I am eager to get the issue. Thanks.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 09-27-2007 15:42
I worked on a job for CBI building a hydrogen unit out at the Conoco Philips in Wood River Illinois refinery for that tars sands project stuff.  I talked with a guy that said they have the patent for the vertical seam coke drums now or something like that.  This is supposed to be better for the expansion process and allow more volume if i recall correctly.  The horizantal seams didn't expand when the coker gets hot and it looks like you put a bunch of rubber bands around a summer sausage.  So you only get expansion inbetween each of the segments and with the vertical seams it allows for it to swell more evenly allowing you to cram some more goods in there.  Horizantal seam cokers are going to be a thing of the past.  I left before i found out if CBI got the contract for the new cokers they are suppose to put up out there.  Cherne has since moved in and might be doing it now because they have been getting a ton of work out there.  I worked for them on the SZORB (low sulfur absorbtion unit) project for the tar sands stuff in Wood River.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-27-2007 19:49 Edited 09-27-2007 19:52
jiweiming,
the Welding Journal issue I'm talking about isn't as recent as I supposed. It's the April, 2004 issue, that contains an article written by Mr. Coby Stewart, who works (or at least worked in those days) for CB&I (again CB&I!). The article explains step by step how to weld vertical coke drums.
By the way, the first time in my life I saw coke drums was as far back as 1969 at the YPF's Lujan de Cuyo refinery in Argentina. The drums were supplied and were being erected by M. W. Kellogg Co. YPF doesn't exist any more, it's been purchased by the Spanish Repsol.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By jiweiming (**) Date 09-28-2007 00:18
crisi,
I am anxious to get the that article,maybe it is very important for me. How could I get it? Anyone who could help me would be well appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Jimmy
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-02-2007 00:28
Why don't you get in touch with AWS and ask for a reprint? May be that will work.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-02-2007 13:27
The Hobart Institute library is another astonishing resource for tech articles. Virtually anything you could want. SS World, Paton, TWI Reports, Welding Journal, journals from Australia, Japan (in English), Germany, Britain, and in many instances back issues all the way back to the originals.
Talk to Marty Baker. I believe she's still runnin the show there. A tremendously helpful lady.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Coke drum