Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding fixtures onto pressurize water pipe line standards?
- - By timdanyliw Date 10-02-2007 22:05
Hey guys,

I have a question for you guys about the process of welding a fixture (gate valve) to a pressured water pipe line.  My company is working in Libya (we are based in Calgary) and we will be hot tapping and welding to a pressured water pipe line.  Does any one know what kind of standards exist that would provide some specs as pressure tests, ultra sonic tests, and visual inspection that would be considered standard in north america for such an operation?

FYI we are installing a fibre optic cable into a pressurized 4 m diameter water pipe line in Libya.  The fibre optic cable/computer system will provide real time structual analyisis of the renforced concrete pipes.

Thanks
Tim.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2007 13:48
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 10-03-2007 13:52
API 1104 Appendix B
Parent - - By timdanyliw Date 10-03-2007 14:27
thanks for the quick replies.  I noticed the document cost $263, would anyone happen to have the PDF file version?   I am using the standards as a reference once in order to make sure that the standards being used in Libya are up to American spec.   Can anyone help me out?
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 10-03-2007 20:38
just a guess but if your company can afford to fly to Libya and do work it might be able to afford to purchase the correct documentation and not ask the forum members to do unethical or illegal things such as break copyright laws. you've already received "263$" worth of advice from some very experienced people just from them telling you where to look.
its request like you last one that taint the forums integrity, maybe a rethink is required.
just a thought
darren
Parent - By timdanyliw Date 10-04-2007 14:18
I apologize.  I will not ask for such information next time.
Parent - - By timdanyliw Date 10-04-2007 16:20
I had a look the API 1104 document description and it seemed to cover the inspection of the welds, but it was for chemical pipelines,  I am looking for a document that addresses water pipeline.  I want to make sure I purchase the correct document.

Thanks!
Parent - By darren (***) Date 10-04-2007 20:51
no worries
maybe put up another post concerning water lines specifically, is the water potable?
state you have the code that covers welds on chemical but not potable water.
or email some of the other respondents directly
after all that welcome to the best welding forum out there
darren
Parent - - By lake (*) Date 10-05-2007 03:35
Hi,Tim
I've done numerous live taps for many area water utilities. I am assuming you are working with AWWA class 300 series pipe. Check out American Water Works Association (AWWA) They have procedures buried in their engineering information.  It will cost you just like with API.  Been a while since I've actually read the info, but I believe they ask for ASME Sect. IX or AWS welder qualifications.  I go by what the utility engineer specifies as per materials, procedure, welding requirements, etc. as I'm qualified to ASME, API, & AWS for relevant welding codes. Sometimes they make a big deal about things, most times not. The people in the USA who build the cement coated mortar lined steel pipe that is fairly common for water transmission  say not to weld on it but to use a special prefab mechanical saddle/flanged gasketed nozzle affair that bolts around the pipe with compression bands. (Which they will sell you, of course) Those strap-on saddles are just not real world practical per my experience, unless one has unlimited lead time and unhindered access around the pipe. Usually an air test (before the tap is drilled) and a visual inspection is all I've had to deal with, but I approach each job like it was a API 1107 hot line tap.  The steel barrel core of these lines can be as thin as 16 gage with a pre-tensioned wire rod wrapping for strength or the heaviest I've worked on which had a 3/4" steel barrel. The bigger they are the heavier the steel in most cases. Care in regrouting the pipe where your tap is done is imperative. Water lines are usually not operating over 125# if even that. A water leak can be really messy but usually is not a life and safety issue like petroleum or chemicals blowing out of poorly installed fitting, but then you know that already. Probably the best source for your particular situation would be with the pipe manufacturers engineering people, if they will condescend from on high to talk with you. Some of the factory welding I've seen hidden under the concrete coating looked quite uncraftsmanlike  but apparently it was adequate for expected service requirements! PM me if you have  questions. Regards, Lake
Parent - By timdanyliw Date 10-08-2007 21:05
Thanks Lake!

Just to let you know, the hot taping will be on a 4 m (13 ft) pre stressed concrete pipe.  I don't believe any standards exist in Libya, but I would like my company to use some existing standards. 

I will have a look for the information on the AWWA page.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding fixtures onto pressurize water pipe line standards?