Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Multiprocess WPQR to qualified Single Process WPS
- - By Noel Tan (**) Date 10-03-2007 07:41
Can a Multi-process WPQR (for example: SMAW+FCAW) qualify a WPS only using FCAW process under AWS D1.1? where it stated?
I know sometimes we are allow to use 2 single process WPQR to qualify a multi-process WPS.

Best Regards,
Noel
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-03-2007 14:39
I never heard this, but lets get some more detail.  Lets say you have a WPQR with a stick root and flux core fill and cap on a test plate or pipe.  Is your question asking if you are qualified to weld things with flux core all the way out now? 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2007 15:07
Unless I misuderstand the question, you can't use any WPQR to qualify any WPS. You haven't done any tensiles. And in prequals you don't need any documentation accept top write the WPs and stay within the required parameters.
If you're talkin about a multi process PQR then you can use it to qualify a single process WPS from that PQR as long as you comply with the essential variables.
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 10-04-2007 01:36
js55,

Thanks for your advises.
I found the answer from official AWS D1.1 Interpretations - (1976-1998),
it is not allowed to delete any welding process from a multi-process (for example: 2 process) PQR to support a single process WPS.

Best Regards,
Noel
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-04-2007 14:12
I would certainly value the input from others more experienced in D1.1 on this matter. But I would have to say that I did a search on the Interpretation I believe you are quoting and my understanding is that what you are assuming is NOT what the interpretation is saying.
I am considering Interpretation I-9/91-10-03. This Inquiry and Interpretaiton does not even mention PQR's.
And quite frankly I do not understand at allthe second interpretation. Firs tthey answer No. And then go on to add that it is beyond the authority of the D1.1 committee. Huh?
If you are considering a different Interpretation please post which one.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-03-2007 20:00
Are you saying
WPQR = Welding Procedure Qualification Record
or
WPQR = Welder Performance Qualification Record?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2007 20:31
Greg,
That was sorta my question and /or approach. I took it from the point of view that it was performance since there really is no document WPQR for procedures.
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 10-04-2007 01:29
in my case:
WPQR = Welding Procedure Qualification Record
WQR = Welder Qualification Record

Noel
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Multiprocess WPQR to qualified Single Process WPS