Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gift of life
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-17-2007 02:06
The gift of life is so often taken for granted that many of us forget about it until something comes along to remind us.
Complaints about jobs, work, and living in general, pale in comparison to when that life is threatened. I look at my son
and think about Shad's son and give my son a hug and send another prayer for Shad and Ryder.

Then there is Chuck Meadows, and Henry, I think about those two gentlemen scholars who have their own fight going, and pray for them as well.
I find myself doing a lot of praying lately, which makes me stop and think; why now after the years I spent in silence? Especially given my history.

I hear a lot of people complaining at work, I see it on the news, on the internet and every other media there is. People think
they have problems. If you and yours are healthy, feed, and dry, you don't have problems. The people mentioned here, and others
like them, they got problems.

Pray for those with real problems, and praise the Lord for not having the same if your not in that group. Hug your wife and children
if you have them, show some kindness to a stranger, give back some of that gift you've been given.

Just a few thoughts for what it's worth,
Gerald
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-17-2007 03:22
Hello Gerald, your post hit home on a number of thoughts that I ponder fairly often. My wife and I often have conversations about our family, the things that are going on in our lives, and where we go from here. The reality of this is that we are truly blessed compared to many others. I have a student who is from Haiti, he is a very personable and intelligent individual and when you meet him you would not think that he had experienced any adversity in his life. In talking with him though, he was one of 11 kids I believe, he didn't have any new clothes until he was a teenager, he had very little formal education, and his family was truly impoverished while he was growing up. His parents and many siblings still live and survive in Haiti. Fortunately for him he has experienced the American dream and has flourished because of his determination. He currently has a very large family of his own and still sends support to his parents and others. The amazing thing for me when I observe him, is his lack of regret or animosity for his start in life. He truly has shown me a great way to view life, he constantly thanks me for helping him along with his education, I chuckle and tell him that he has educated me probably more than I have him. Thanks for making your post, it has brought me to think a bit more about the really important things in life and give thanks for what I do have. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-17-2007 03:34
Excellent post Gerald. Just before reading Shads' last update I was going through a tall stack of mail from the business. Insurance, IRS, cell phone, AM X, etc. All requiring much time to sort out the mess from overbilling & incorrect statements, etc. Haven't had rain in about 6 weeks. Got a frog choker Friday and found out I need a new roof. Was actually feeling sorry for myself. Took a break to log on the forum and read Shads' update and felt like a fool. I know the Bible says with food and rainment(clothing) to be content. I'm thankful to have work and to be able to work, to have a house and family, a good church in a great country where you can still go without fear of being persecuted or killed. In comparison to many countries we in the USA live like kings. I thank God for being born and to live in the USA.

I realized my problems are trivial. A new roof, convincing companies that they made a mistake are small things.The men mentioned above and I'm sure others on this forum have important issues to deal with. We have soldiers putting their life in harms way every day.

Matthew 6:20,21 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through or steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-17-2007 04:14
Serious health problems, or even trying to survive as a common person in Haiti tend to put other problems in perspective. I am not suggesting that adversity does one good, but look around and be greatfull for whatever good fortune You have.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-18-2007 23:38
Any day one wakes up and is not waiting for a nurse to change their diaper, feed them or hook up a clean colostomy bag, they should feel blessed and grateful.
BABRT's
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-05-2007 05:19
you are so right hug and kiss your wife and kids everyday and when they want to play play with them take them fishing to a ball game dont worry bout the yard or fixin up an old machine when they come to you listen to them i wish ryder could talk so he could tell me what hurts so i could fix it thats what bugs the hell out of me theres sumthin wrong with my boy and i cant fix it next time i come to the hospital to spend time w him i'm bringin a hot shot these damnd nurses are constantly pokin him after i just get him to sleep foot note: if you have to stay in a hospital for anything bring some good sleepin pills with ya they wake you up every 2 hours to see if ur ok and to check your vitals
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-06-2007 05:13 Edited 10-06-2007 05:22
Been there, Done that Kid!!!

This Monday will be my Tenth anniversary of receiving the "Gift of Life" - An Orthotropic Liver Transplant!!!
The Doctors said quite frankly to not only me but, also to the rest of my family that I'd be lucky to make it past five years because in the future, complications would surely persist from the extensive damage that was discovered during the surgery.

Sure, there's been all kinds of complications, all kinds of set backs but, there have been all kinds of what I can only describe as - MIRACLES!!! Plus a bit of just plain, downright, stubborness on my part not to quit!!! Even after the Doc's thought I would'nt make it either!!! I sure proved them wrong, and that's probably why I can relate to your son so much from that perspective at least.

For the last 14 years I've been living with health issues of one degree or another, and I can tell you for sure that those nurses are trying their best to keep Ryder alive, and well whether you may disagree or not!

I agree that sometimes it looks like they may be in your eyes, roughing him up a bit but, please believe me Shad, they have to keep checking up on him as much as possible just in case some of the sensors do'nt pick up any changes in some of his vital signs... You see, all those gadgets are only tools... It's one of the nurses responsibilities to make sure everything is working correctly, and only the best ones get to handle that type of responsibility... That's their calling!!! Shad's in good hands!

At the same time, always question them when you do'nt understand a procedure or any other aspect that you or your wife may have trouble understanding... Do'nt ever forget that you have final say. So learn as much as you can about anything you may initially not understand. You've probably heard this from others but just in case, I'm telling you this stuff based on my own experiences with medical issues. ;)

Btw, Do'nt worry about my heart because, all of the Doc's tell me that I've got the heart of a Blue Whale!
They do not understand how my heart is in such good shape and, I tell them: It's the one organ I inherited from my Father who also had the strongest heart in our neck of the woods!!! ;) maybe that's why I'm not currently on any blood pressure, or any other heart related pills. :) :) :)

Dios te Bendigas a usted y tu familia... Especialmente que Dios Continua a Protejer Ryder Dee.
May God Bless You and Your Family... Especially may God Continue to Protect Ryder Dee.
Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-06-2007 05:32
yeah i know they know what they are doing and that they have too but damn sleeping in that place is out of the question it started again at 4am yesterday. he had his surgery and came thru it like a pro he had the same anethesiologist and surgeon so i wasnt worried the shunt was fine but the valve had some old blood in it from houston and the dr thought it might of been to high of a pressure for him so she put in an adjustable valve and it is wroking better than before he is in i c u in san antonio and eating and keeping it down so all is good. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-06-2007 19:12
Glad to hear at least that part went ok.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-03-2008 06:47
I cam across this again and had to read it all once again. And it donned on me you 6 gentlemen are my gaurdin angles you 6 have been there thru thick and thin and keep up with Ryder and his trials and no matter what always reply with the kindest of words. You are my rocks and for this i Thank you for being there not only for praying for Ryder but for being there for me to talk to thank you guys you are the best. It's you guys that have kept me sane thru all of this well that and alot of will power. Never really thought i was that strong until all this hit and i was kinda leary at first about posting anything asking for help from anyone but something told me to do it and i'm glad i did. Thanks for being there for me.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gift of life