Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Circle burning attachment
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-10-2007 19:27
Hello everyone, I enjoy the challenge of coming up with a tool that serves a particular purpose that I have in mind. For the most part many of the circle burning attachments that I have tried over the years haven't impressed me. This is one that I based off of a unit that my welding instructors had made up a lot of years ago(it is designed to fit the Victor 100c torch). I would also like to see any variations of these that you folks have come up with. I have a similar one for the hand plasma torch but don't have any pictures. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 10-11-2007 00:40
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2007 02:57
Hello TozziWelding, looks like that one's real handy for getting into those tight places. Very cool. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 10-11-2007 04:01
I've used one quite similar to this one - although I didn't build it.  I agree it works better than a lot of fancier ones I've seen.  You need lots of room to use it though.
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 10-11-2007 22:19
One of the best things I ever bought was that straight cutting attachment for my Victor 315. I have used it for countless jobs, that a 90 degree head would never work on.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2007 23:11
Hello TozziWelding, I had the opportunity to buy one of those once and didn't, been kicking myself ever since. Maybe one of these days I'll cut loose of the scratch and go ahead and get one. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 10-11-2007 23:41
I used a hole cutting device similar to your picture, Allan, and the fellow who loaned it to me said he picked it up at a welding supply store for around 20-30 bucks. It had a bearing with 3 set screws to hold the torch tip in place. Also, it has a magnetic hub where you would place the center of the circle point and you had to take care to adjust the point height to keep the torch at the perfect distance to the work. It worked quite nicely though and pretty much put my years of experience to shame as good as I once was (with a cutting torch) can never compare to using that rig.
Be well,
Hawk
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2007 23:55
Hello medicinehawk01, I have also used the type of attachment you are referring to, they work really well when you are working on something that you can't easily rotate. The one that I have pictured in my post I usually use in conjunction with a rotating burn table with a bearing set-up. That allows you to position the torch and then rotate the part under it making for a really smooth cut and by either leading into the cut from the outside(for cutting circular plugs or caps) or by leading into the cut from the inside(for cutting holes that a pipe might pass through, weld to, or weld a pin-boss to). Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 10-17-2007 03:29
http://www.flangewizard.com/magnetic_circle_layout___burni.html

This is made by Flange Wizard and works real well.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-15-2007 00:41
i had a good 1 and left it on location and bought 1 made by cricle wix or sumthin like that for 70.00 there is no handle rest you have to keep it balanced perfectly all in all it's difficult for me to use and would like to get rid of it i cut circles better free hand than i do with that thing
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Circle burning attachment