Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding training
- - By MoJo 3 Date 10-11-2007 19:57
Hi, I want to learn more about welding but I don't know if I can get enough education through a 2 to 5 week class as I would from a full on welding school. I have about 2 and a half years mig experience but I don't read blueprints or symbols. I want to learn about metallurgy, blueprint and symbol reading along with set-up, technique, mig, tig, and stick welding. I do live near a shop that teaches all of that plus a 5 week pipe welding class. I've studied their website and talked to the instructor on the phone and I know I'll learn alot and be much more knowledgeable than I am now. What I'm wonderring is if I'd benefit that much more from welding school than I will from these shorter classes. I know the instructor and owner are highly accredited and knowledgeable, but I'm not sure which route to take. Any advice from some other instructors or pro/expert welders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2007 21:03
Hello John, I got your message and this is what I would like you to consider. Any time you look at training you need to research it and see if it applies to what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds as though you have already done this to some extent. I don't know your exact geographical area so I really don't know what all of the training options are that you have to choose from. Private, reputable, training institutions can provide you with very intense and to the point training and in many cases are well worth the monies they charge, they are however, for profit entities and the costs generally reflect this. Skills centers, community college welding programs, vocational/technical colleges or training facilities can be a bit less pricey and in most instances will also provide you with ample training and end-user abilities. Here again I would try to make contact with whichever institution or facility you are interested in and ask them some questions. These questions would cover things such as: where do your graduates go to work?, how long has the program been around?, what types of training do you have available? You mentioned blueprint reading, metallurgy, fabrication, and other items, you would want to enquire about the availability of these subjects too. Once you have some answers to these questions you might want to inquire with employers that might have been mentioned to see if they have been satisfied with the students that have come from the particular training facility. Also, if possible, you might want to strike up some conversation with students that are currently enrolled in the program and see about their level of satisfaction with the program or classes. Time can sometimes be an issue for training opportunities, determine if you can stretch the training out and save some money possibly due to utilizing state or community schools or if time is critical can you justify the possible additional expense of a more intense private training regimen. Ultimately you'll have to make that decision. Hope this is some of what you were asking about. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By BooTLeG (*) Date 11-29-2007 05:03
im not a pro, or an instructor, but I took a 9 month course that went over SMAW of plate and pipe, how to identify blueprints, and a mig/tig class, and it was worthless, I got a job and everything I learned at school was either out of date or wrong, so make sure if you go its a good one and won't waste your time/money.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding training