Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln DC 250 AS with Wisconsin V4
- - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-17-2007 05:57
Got a DC 250 with Wisconsin VF4D engine that a cylinder cracked on so it's overhaul or replace it.  Have another VF4D engine but it's actually a military surplus MVF4D engine with clutch on it.  Wondering if anyone has had one apart before and knows if the engines will interchange easy or is the crankshaft different enough it won't work?   Found a manual for it on Lincoln Electric site but it still just doesn't really show how the armature couples on the engine shaft.  Anyone know?  Thanks.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-18-2007 03:18
I have a VE4 [20 HP] that had a clutch, it is not part of the crankshaft on that one. I guess it all boils down to which is less work & money, changing the cylinder on the engine, or changing the engine on the welder. If You change the whole engine You don't need any rings or gaskets, but if the crankshaft end is different You have no choice but to swap the cylinder. I think I would start by removing the clutch on the MVF4 and seperating the engine from the generator, as that involves no new parts.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-18-2007 04:31
Yeah just going to have to pull it apart to find out.  Already had clutch off MVF4D and has straight keyed shaft out engine.  Wisconsin motor factory tells me from engine tag numbers I sent them today that crankshafts are different number and not interchangeable but didn't say if one on welder is straight or tapered.  There is an adapter on engine that bolts to flange adapter on armature and fan so not sure yet but might can fab a hub to still fit other motor easier than overhauling one.   MVF4D is still on crate and was supposedly rebuilt by military contractor with tag on it still.  Just no one around to tell you that knows on these old welders anymore I guess.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 10-18-2007 13:09
Check used farm machinery sales. That engine was used for alot machinery. Self Propelled swathers and balers come to mind.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-18-2007 16:21
Just a update if someone else needs some expert info on a Wisconsin engine is just contact the factory at Engineering@wisconsinmotors.com  or  general info at  wisconsinmotors.com    Their engineering dept sent me specs on the crankshaft sizes of each motor and build dates when I provided them ser.# and spec.#s.   So now think I can just make an adapter to fit it up with other engine and won't be hauling it off to auction afterall. :)  Another Lincoln lives longer.  
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 10-18-2007 16:28
I had one of those. It came with some other stuff that I wanted so I had to buy the whole thing. The owner told me that it had never been out in the rain..2 cranks and it was running. A friend who still runs a SA200 said that it was as good. I couldn't give that thing away and finally sold it for $250 just to make some room.
There is a Wisconsin engine forum on Yahoo and there you can find everything that you will need.
Good luck
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-18-2007 16:45
Ok Thanks, didn't think about looking at yahoo groups.   Seen lots of parts on ebay last night so not too worried about finding parts to overhaul the other engine later in winter.  It still runs good but just has a sucking missing sound like a bad head gasket but a cylinder crack just under head instead.  Someone else that had it before put too long of bolts on head cracking cylinders I think or let water get in it probably.   
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln DC 250 AS with Wisconsin V4