Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cast iron lamp post welding?
- - By naweldingcorp12 Date 10-20-2007 21:19
Looking for a little help with some old New York City lamp post.I have 8 of them and I need to weld a plate on top to put a diffrent globe around the light. I am not sure if i need to preheat the cast iron or not? Not even sure what kind of cast iron it is. Also should I use er70s6 would this mig wire be all right or do I need to use something else?
Thanks ,Steve
Parent - - By SEAPLANE (*) Date 10-21-2007 02:17
I've stick welded cast iron with the Ni-rod available at most welding supply vendors. I have also used GTAW and inconel tig wire with decent results on manifolds. The Ni stick rods can also be used to tig weld cast, if you clean the flux off and sand or scotch brite the rod. Pre- heating and letting the weld cool slowly is a must to prevent cracking. You also need to peen the weld with the round head of a ball peen hammer while it cools slowly to releive stress. Keep a torch or rosebud going and heat the weld lightly while peening. It is good to have an extra pair of hands or two to help with this. I would weld a couple of inches at a time and as I pull off of the weld, the helper will start peening up and down the weld joint. Not too hard! The torch needs to be keep things warmed up as you go. There are probably more scientific explanations and techniques, But I have used this method on many occasions with success. You have to have a high nickel content filler material. Good luck!
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 10-21-2007 12:09
Actually - a very good explanation!

Just to clarify for the OP....you should NOT use S-6 or any other mild steel wire.  Look for a 99% nickel rod/electrode and use that.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 10-21-2007 20:06
for what its worth i think that some industrial grade use specific epoxy would probably be easier.
sometimes the best weld is no weld
just my opinion
darren
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2007 20:56
Amen Darren.

Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-22-2007 04:18
I grew up using "PC-7" epoxy for all kinds of repairs, it is thick in consistancy as oposed to "JB Weld" which is sort of runny. Later I started using the "West System" marine epoxy. This is resin and hardener that You mix with the fillers of Your choice depending on the aplication. A tip they suggest is to completly clean the metal, then "sand in" some mixed epoxy resin & hardener with coarse sand paper. This gets the epoxy in contact with the base metal WITH NO EXPOSURE TO AIR. Then aply the thickend mixture and glue the parts together.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-22-2007 05:56
Using the Ni rod is fine but preheat and post SLOW cool down is crucial...I had a real bad experience with a 3 inch thick piece of cast and some (expensive) Ni rod once.....I think I had about two-three pounds in there and went to lunch with it at about 230-250 degrees I come back and it had cracked right out beside the joint.  If the epoxy will suffice in this case it may be a VERY good solution.   Not to dump on using Ni rod, it works if you do it right...but the epoxy would be a good idea if you can get away with it.

BTW.  good post there Seaplane on the ins and outs of it!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 10-22-2007 18:17
I've used "Lab Metal" in simular situation and had great results. I get it from the Airgas folks.
Parent - By jd369 (**) Date 10-22-2007 18:38
I like to use brazing rod and an oxy/acetylene torch for most cast iron repairs. I will tig tack it with a high nickel rod, then v-groove all around and clean all surfaces with a sanding disk then braze weld it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cast iron lamp post welding?