Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-1C / E71T-9C
- - By katrutro (*) Date 10-23-2007 15:02
The mechanical properties of LW-71 from Lincoln is based on CO2 Shieldin Gas, If I use a mixture (75Ar-25CO2) How will be affected the mechanical properties??

The data technical sheet recommend CO2 as shielding gas, but the client qualified the WPS with mixture.

thank you

Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2007 15:17
Hello katrutro, I checked the spec. sheet on the particular wire that you listed here and it is designed to be run with 100% CO2. Typically that means that you can definitely run into some mechanical issues if it is shielded with 75/25 argon/co2. Since the addition of argon will prevent the additives in the wire from performing their specific duties I would not recommend using any shielding gas other than the 100% CO2. I believe the real issue might be a hardened bead that might be sensitive to cracking. My $.02 worth. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By katrutro (*) Date 10-23-2007 20:24
That´s  mean the impact toughness will be worse if I use mixture instead of 100%CO2???

Why you said the addition of argon will prevent the additives if the argon gas is inert so unreact  with the elements
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2007 20:50 Edited 10-23-2007 21:13
Hello again katrutro, I don't know exactly what all of the results of using the 75/25 gas will be. What I do know is that the wire was designed to be used with 100% CO2, most likely and mainly for a cost savings on the shielding gas. The additives that I was speaking of are there to allow for the use of the CO2 shielding(the CO2 isn't inert so it will allow some of these additives to react with the shielding gas and not become a part of the finished weld metal in the same form) and are designed to provide certain actions in the arc and the weld puddle which will provide the proper finished weld deposit characteristics. Using the argon mixed gas will not allow the flux additives to do the things that they were designed to do(this is due to the inert portion of the shielding gas provided by the argon part) and then the weld deposit will not meet the criteria that is given in the wire's specifications. Hope this explained it a bit better. Regards, aevald
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-25-2007 03:17
Katrutro: The inertness of the argon is where the differences come from. The wire has an extra ammount of some of the elements based on the fact that some will be lost due to the active nature of the CO2. Using the C25 in place of it will give too much of those elements, and this has the potential to change the weld metal properties.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 10-24-2007 09:29
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71T-1C / E71T-9C