Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Radius Edges of Rolled Sections
- By stscwi Date 10-24-2007 12:33
As an inspector I regularly see joints consisting of an angle to a plate. These joints are most commonly detailed to be completed with a fillet weld connecting the toe of the angle to the plate.  The tow of the angles are most often a radius edge do to their being a rolled section. The joint configuration seems most appropriate for a flare-bevel groove weld.

1. Is the use of a fillet welds symbol for this type of joint incorrect do to the rolled edge/radius?
  2. Is the minimum radius, "r", as listed in BTC-P10 of Section 3  intended to suggest that any joint with a radius less than the 3T1 /2 minimum is not fit for a flare-bevel groove weld and thus should be completed with a fillet weld?
  3. Would a flare-bevel groove weld still be required in this type of joint but the joint require qualification under Section 4 do to the smaller radius?
  4. If the radius is smaller than the 3T1 /2 minimum, would the face of the radius be considered a gap and section 5.22 of D1.1-06 apply to the radius edges of the rolled sections?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts/experience or need further clarification.  I greatly appreciate your time and assistance in this matter!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Radius Edges of Rolled Sections