Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ryder
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By aevald (*****) Date 09-26-2007 18:01
Hello All, Shad emailed these pictures of Ryder this morning, he wanted to share these with all the folks who have been thinking of him and keeping him in their prayers. Regards, Allan
Attachment: Ryder.bmp (900k)
Attachment: ryder3.bmp (926k)
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 09-26-2007 18:30
Man that is so heatbreaking that such a beautiful innocent baby has to go through that.  I will surely have him in my thoughts and prayers. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 23:57
Heartbreaking doesn't cover it. However, it ain't over while there is still a breath to be taken. The Lord has a purpose for us all, sometimes what that purpose is isn't exactly clear. Whatever it may be, there is one thing for sure, that little soul is loved by his father and mother, which unfortunetly is not always the case with people. He has spirit to, or he'd long since be gone. Letting go and letting God is easier said than done, but apparently not much else can be done but pray some more, just have to have faith.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-27-2007 02:33
Thanks for posting the pictures of Ryder. It's good to see a smile on his face. He is a beautiful child and I hope he beats this and has a remarkable life. We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers Shad, Ryder and family.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-24-2007 04:28
We are in the hospital now were going for chemo treatment when i noticed a blood spot on his jammies his line that got put in 2 weeks ago somehow got dislodge so he has to go under the knife again to get it replaced and then we get chemo so it's gonna be a long week for daddy hope my helper shows up at the feedlot to work if not oh well i'm tired of worryin bout the bills if they get paid fine if not take it all i'll start over again anybody ever hear of any work in texas
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-02-2007 07:42
Leave it to you to a whole section just on Ryder if that boy only knew the backers he had thanks Allan this was great since this section is about Ryder i'll start posting his updates here seems logical to me
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-02-2007 08:00
That will be awesome for everyone!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-02-2007 08:21
yes i believe it will
Parent - By crazydog (**) Date 10-03-2007 17:18
Shad
Beautiful pictures. Your young son is really alert. Just like you said. Our prayers are with him.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-18-2007 05:02
we went for our weekly check up yesterday and the counts were good shunt is working properly no more vomiting and he is eating  good too he is getting weaned off the steroid so he has lost his appetite a lil but doc says that is normal we go for another full dose of chemo on the 23rd i will be with him this time so i need to find a helper to help my helper while i am out so i can keep what lil money is comming comming in all in all he is doing good just thought ya'll would like to know it's been a while since i've reported he has been doing rather well and instead of reporting everydayi just report when we go to the dr i'll have net access in the hospital so i'll send a post while i'm there please contiue to pray for my son. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 10-03-2007 04:18
After responding to your PM I found this picture of your beautiful son.  It certainly helps to focus your well wishes when you can attach a face to them.   It amazes me how someone so small can be so tough!!  I am hopeful the good people at St Judes can help get this thing whipped.

XPERTFAB
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-04-2007 03:43
St Judes wont take us he's cause he's already started chemo here so we're stuck here i guess it's all very frustrating here i have this lil boy fighting like theres no end and the dr's r just playing a guessing game so it truly is all in gods hands now yall keep P.U.S.H.ing and we'll keep trying evrything is gonna be fine i just know it everytime they say he cant he does and i get a giggle out of it the 1 st 2 times i got scared and cried but after that when they tell me those things i tell them they forget who they are dealing with funny how a 10 week old lil boy can make grown men and women look like fools
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-04-2007 03:54
Well if St Judes won't let you in, maybe they can come to you. Try calling them and asking if one of their staff can at least review the file.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-04-2007 04:08
WE ARE WORKING ON THAT GERALD GAVE THE PERMISSION FOR ST JUDES TO GET A SAMPLE OF WHAT THEY GOT OUT IN HOUSTON JUST WAITING TO HEAR FROM SUM 1
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-04-2007 21:31
well yall things got worse the constipation went away and now they THINK theres sumthing wrong with his shunt so they are going to operate again at 9.30 am tomm. and see if that is the problem if that isnt it they say its the tumor causing the vommiting. so here we go again what next its very frustrating not knowing what is going on and wondering why such a good little boy is having to go thru so much hell
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 10-05-2007 01:42
Sorry I looked in the wrong forum topic before I found this post.  Very sorry to hear that it is still a bit of a guessing game.  I will be on the phone tomorrow morning with someone I know at Children's Hospital in LA (Calfiornia ) to see if there is some leverage somewhere to get some more active input from the people at St Judes or ???  I even have a couple ofv Shriner's contacts I will be following up on to see what else can be done.  I am at a loss to know what else to do to help at this moment.
XPERTFAB
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-05-2007 02:07
wow thanks so much that is a wonderful idea please let me know as soon as u find sumthin out the number i have listed under my signiture is my cell phone and i use at&t if u have them its a free call well sum what if i dont hear from you then i know it didnt work thanks again for trying RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-05-2007 03:41
Shad,

As has been all along, our prayers and thoughts are with Ryder and your family.

Gerald
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-05-2007 04:10
thanks gerald
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-06-2007 02:05
some of the guys in the please pray for my son forum have asked me to set up an account so they could help out i thought i would pass on this info to you guys as well please understand i am not asking for a handout just passing on the info so no1 feels left out you guys are my rock and i really appreciate it more than you will ever know. heres the info: Ryder D. Griffin Medical Benefit the bank said to send it to Prosperity Bank in c/o of Ryder D. Griffin 1112 W. Oaklawn Pleasanton TX. 78064 thanks in advabce and as always RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-09-2007 06:53
Ryder went in for another surgery yesterday to have his central I V removed and a port put in th doc said the central line had been in to long and to much of a chance of infection he's doing better than he was still looks pale and with the valve replacement his soft spot is caved in but dr says thats normal when draining the amount of fluid they are but hw is eating and keeping it down for now goes in for another chemo treatment today. I sure hope i ace that test today so i dont have to leave town for work taking an xray test sucks funny thing is the guy givin jus looks at it and says wether he likes it or not how can he tell if it'll pass xray by looking at the root is there sumthin i dont know about xray does it just looks for bad spots in the root i duno i'm not an xray hand but by the time i'm done with this test and job i should be able to weld bubble gum wrappers together lol
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2007 11:46
Hey Shad

What that inspector is probably doing is a normal visual inspecton before the X-ray.

If a joint does not pass muster (visual inspection criteria) than it is a waste of time and money to shoot an X-ray eh?

The same thing can happen on a test that has guided bends... If the root shows incomplete fusion, undercut, underfill, cracks, or some other rejectable discontinuity visually, the inspector is not going to bother to cut the thing up and run bend tests.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-13-2007 05:04
didnt wanna get anyones hopes up so i didnt say nuthin but we pulled sum major strings and got st judes involved for a lil while they ran tests on the piece from houston and they called today we are dealing with a glioblastoma grade 4 the worst of the worst alos said the treatment he's getting in S A is the same as there and since it's already started they will not take us so grab a hand full lean back and ride after all of this is said and done and he's well i'm calling and getting this kid a gold buckle he has certainly earned it. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-14-2007 01:54
It's bad, but knowing what your up against is half the battle. Sometimes a cure can kill you if that cure is the wrong one since it takes away time from being properly treated. For something like this, time is your enemy, any waste of it is unacceptable. As has everyday since we became aware of it, Ryder and family are in our prayers.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-14-2007 04:07
i think the chemo is working his head is alot smaller and he is way alert or he's jus really stoned from all the drugs but his appetit is way up today drinking 6oz of formula at every feeding thats a first but that may have to do with the steroids too what sucks the most is i cant fix it theres sumthin broken and i cant fix it and my wife walks around depressed 24/7 its to the point where i dont wanna come home anymore i got so bored and frustrated today i started taking apart a wedling machine so i'd have sumthing to do all the parts are for sale ( 1954 sa 200 shorty )  if you need any or know any1 needing some parts let me know all i want off of it is the pc board and wiring and the timing cover the rest is for sale it's time to liquidate stuff around here money is about gone guess you can tell i'm a bgit frustrated and i'm being nice using that word this is driving me insane and i have to be the rock for everyone my cell phone rings all day long cause my wife wont answer hers i ought to sell that too lol wont be long and i'll have sum new bevel machines for sale
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-14-2007 05:11
Well we went to 2 hospitals today 1st 1 to get some kind of radiology test on his kidneyts to see if they are working good ( as much as he goes potty i'd say they are just fine) 2nd was our weekly cliic visit for a checkup and sad to say heis A N C ( WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT) is down so no going nowhere for turkey day just here at the house and sorry yall cant visit either we go the monday after thanks giving for another dose of chemo this 1 is spose to be an ass kicker we'll see they said that the 1st 2 times and then told me my 4 month old is getting the dose of a 15 yr old and does better than them so like i said we'll see this dose will take 4 days and 3 nites man they are killing my work with this stuff but like i said before if i have to sell out to get him well then so be it i can replace all the machines in a heartbeat anyway just keeping yall up to date on the Ryder saga and hoping you and yours have a blessed turkey day god bless each and everyone of you for taking time out your busy schedules to send the little praises of encouragement thank you from the bottom of my heart it means more than you could ever know and as always RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-24-2007 22:18
Well we came to the hospital for a chemo treatment and last nite sum how his port got dislodge from its spot in his lil veins goin to his heart so tomorow we go under the knife again to get a new 1 put in and then we get our chemo and then maybe go home on friday if all goes well this round of chemo is just like the last nothing more and nothing less they ran and mri scan of his lil head and told me the tumor is not growing but it is not shrinking hey thats better than nothing is what i say we aint winning but we aint loosing either he is in good spirits as always kicking his lil legs and waving his arms like any other 3 month old would do and he love watching the cowboys starring john wayne i got him hooked on it lol tonite at christus santa rosa hospital room 8227 we will be having a john wayne marathon featuring the cowboys, chisum,mcclintok,and big jake yal get some popcorn cooked up grab sum beer n stop by it's a good time to be had by all lol
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-25-2007 03:35
Shad, I have been keeping My tumors pretty well in check for several years with chemotherapy. What it ammounts too is buying time and hoping for a better treatment that will lead to a cure. I guess the tube on the little guy's port isn't verry long due to His size. Mine goes up over My collar bone and down close to the heart, it has been in place over 3 1/2 years. It did get plugged up once that required a trip to the hospital to get it blown open, and another time it needed "clot buster" to get a blood return, but otherwise has not been a problem.  Hoping the best for Ryder, You and Your family.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-25-2007 19:49
I found out yesterday it's not a port a port goes under the skin Ryder's is a tube sticking out of his side with a screw end on it so they jus screw a syringe to it to flush it or a hose to deliver chemo anyway it came out of his side a lil bit and that in tow jerked it from its spot inside of him so thia am they replaced it and put it in a different spot not the whole tube just put it in a different vein anyway all that went well and he is getting his chemo now and go9ing home tomorow if i may ask your age and how long ago you found out you had a tumor and where yours is located as well i have heard many stories of lil babies with tumors growing up and living properous lives am i giving up or have i lost hope never i just know hes gonna be fine just gonna take sometime but little booster stories dont hurt either thanks. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-26-2007 04:58 Edited 10-26-2007 05:09
Shad, Mine is colon cancer. It started on the opposite side of My colon from the prostate, but You might not be old enough for a Dr. to have showed You where that is yet. :-) anyway, once they found out where it was, it didn't take them long to put thier finger on it. :-(  There was another cancerous pollyp about 7" further up. I had a lower resection, meaning they removed about a foot of My large intestine that included the 2 cancer locations. I had chemo and radiation before the surgery to shrink the tumor enough so they could save My spinctor, and due to the tissue dammage from the radation I had temporary ostomy bag so the affected area could heal properly. I had 6 months of 5FU chemo weekly after the surgery as there were lymph nodes that tested positive for cancer. Following that I had the ostomy undone. I THOUGHT I was out of the woods, 6 months later My CEA counts had risen considerably, there was a tumor in My liver, and the yet unidentified spots in My lungs were larger and more numerous. I started back on a much stronger chemo used for metasticised colon cancer [that is what it is called after it spreads] and later had a wedge resection done to remove a pea sized lump from My lung. This tested as colon cancer too. after a few more sessions of the stronger chemo I had a reaction to it, and changed to another strong chemo that I have been on and off ever since. Presently I am on a chemo break, and life is pretty good. I don't have the energy I did, but I can work some and do projects around the house. I get a break when the tumors have shrunken, and go back on when they become active again.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-27-2007 05:39
Wont use the language i wanna use i will say WOW and I thought Ryder had problems i'm really at a loss for words you're riding a hell of a ride too godbless you sir makes me feel kinda shamefull for crying on ya'lls shoulder bout my lil boy i'm sorry i really dont know what to say
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-28-2007 03:51
Shad, it is probably easier to deal with something like this when it is happening to Yourself than when it happens to Your child. You are not a crybaby, and You don't need to say anything. Stay strong for Your son & family.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-21-2007 04:29
well yall can't come over for t/day dinner i called and got an appt today to egt counts checked so we could go and hang out woith folks and friends and his A N C counts were way down to 830 this is still in a safe zone just cant be around alot of people so while the wife and other kids are away stuffing thioer faces on thru me n Ryder will be here at the house maybe upgrading my 53 shorty or jus watchin the tube it's spose to be colder than a well diggers ass the rest of the week so yall have a great thanksgiving and naw on a drumb stick or 2 for us will ya. Please dont take this as me being depressed or even feeling sorry for myself or Ryder he is still with us and that i am most greatfully thankful for yall have a happy thanksgiving and please becareful on the roads not everybody drives as good as all of us you know
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2007 05:45
Hello Shad, haven't heard from you or replied about Ryder in a while, but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else has forgotten about you and your's. To me it sounds as if he is growing and getting stronger all of the time, as Dave said, call it buying time or whatever you want to, his chances get better all the time the longer he is able to get on with his natural growth cycle. To Ryder, Dave, Chuck, and all of you others out there, keep the faith and don't give up there's lots of folks pulling for all of you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-25-2007 19:51
Hello Allan Ryder is doing just fine we just had a bump in the road is all an yes he is growing has gained a pound since our last clinic visit last tues. he is more alert of his surroundings and looks around alot wont be long and i'll be telling him no and put that down lol
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2007 21:36
Hello again Shad, that's great news. Hope momma's feeling better about all of this too. Do what ya gotta do. We're all still pulling for all of you. God bless, Allan
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-07-2007 00:57
Hello Allan the benefit was a good turn out we had a home health nurse voulnteer to come by the house once a week and check on him instead of going to the hospital every week he came by yesterday and drew blood the hospital called and said his platlets were down and he needed blood so away i went to the hospital again this am missing another day of work we get there get checked in bedded down for 4 hours to get blood they did a qick lab on his blood before they started just to see what the counts were today and i'll be danged if that lil toot didnt double them over nite so didnt get blood today and we are home again til next week then another check up and the week after another dose of chemo this 1 is spose to be real nasty as far as side effects vommiting and what not we'll see they said it before and there were very few anyway just letting you and the gang know how we are getting along I still got my gig at the feed lot well i did when i was last there the benefit tied up 3 days last week and missed 2day to go with ryder but we are fine and he has started laughing and smiling its fun to play with him he gets a kick out of it see ya'll soon and as always RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-07-2007 01:32
Hello Shad, it is great to hear the energy in your reply and also hear that Ryder is kickin' along and raisin cain. You guys keep on keepin on and all of us will continue to P.U.S.H for him... you, and yours. Gotta go right now, but I'll be back later to yak at you some more. God Bless, Allan
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 11-07-2007 02:14
Hello Shad, thanks for the update. I'm sure many of the guys on here are glad to hear that Ryder is smiling and laughing and having some fun with his parents. Hope work holds up and Ryder gets better everyday. Will continue to keep Ryder and family in thoughts and prayers daily.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-28-2007 03:40
Hello Henry once again we ( Ryder n me ) are sittin in a hospital room getting another treatment. They said this 1 was an ass kicker but as usual he makes them look like liars lol i love to see the look on thier faces when he throws them for a loop and they scratch thier heads wondering why he's taking it so well and like i always tell them it's in gods hands nothing you can say or do will change my mind that he's going to be just fine and come back 1 day when he's 25 or 30 and give all of you a shot for revenge lol they just laugh at me but all kidding aside he really is doing great he looks good and is growing like a weed i need to get some more pics for you guys he has grown so much since the last ones he truly is a fighter and is kicking ass and taking names we are here for 4 days this time so yall post some good stuff to help me kill the time i wasnt gonna be here this time but my wife called last nite crying once again saying she couldnt handle being in the hospital so i took off work again to be here dont really matter the pens in the feed lot are soaked from 2 days of rain so cant do nuthin anyway but i could be working on stuff round the house and fixin welding machines qanyway we are fine and sorry for complainin
Parent - By Stickboy (*) Date 11-28-2007 06:24
Thanks for the update, I've been reading and not commenting, just praying for the lil guy. He sure looks like he has the spirit to beat that monster. You hang in there, it's a dang tough deal, but, you are his rock, he needs you.
Parent - - By ibyaed (*) Date 12-15-2007 04:33
Hey Shad,
My Family and I are PUSHing for Lil Ryder, We're glad to here that he is still kicking ass and growing like a weed, just letting you know that are prayers are w/ you and your family, and its all in GODS hands.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2007 10:58 Edited 12-15-2007 11:13
we found out    about this when he was 6 weeks old and they told us he had 3 maybe 4 months to live   he turned 5 months old yesterday and holding his own and going strong with no side effects from chemo except hair loss and he didnt have much to begin with lol see look. EvenMegan got his 1st welding cap last week Thank you Megan.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-16-2007 08:12
Hello Shad, glad to see Ryder looking so good! He looks super in that very special welders cap! Megan was it that provided that one? Was surely awesome of her to outfit him so well. You folks all have a terrific holiday and we'll all keep P.U.S.H.ing for him, you, and your's. God Bless, from my family and I
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2007 16:54
Go Ryder!

Al
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2007 18:05
Hi Allan i been wondering about you we aint spoke in a coons age as for Ryder well he's ridin right along never missing a lick and still always kicking his legs he's tuff thats for sure. To answer your question yes it was Megan that made him his first welding cap she is Greg Coles wifethey are great people thanks for checking on us and you as well have a great and blessed holiday season i hope all is well in your family as well as yourself. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 12-17-2007 05:05
Hello Shad. Thanks for the pic and update about Ryder. Based on the way he wears his cap looks like he's a right handed welder :) Wishing Ryder, you and family all the best. Take care and may God bless.
Parent - - By gregnmegan (*) Date 12-17-2007 04:20
Hey, This is Megan and I would like to let everyone know how much I enjoyed makin Ryder his first weldin cap. I think he looks awesome in it.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-17-2007 12:31
Thanks Megan it fits hie personalty perfectly. I'm thinking about getting some 4 gauge lead and making him his 1st stinger lol a lil extreme but he needs to learn sometime by the time we're done with him he'll be winning welding competitions lol
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2008 17:03 Edited 01-01-2008 17:57
Hey Hey Hey good good news good news. We went for a treatment yesterday. They wanted an MRI before they started after hours of waiting for the MRI we finally got the results around 4;30 yesterday afternoon and THE BIG OLL MASS IS GONE there is just to lil spots 1 is the size of a marble and the other they said looks like a star burst he is not in the clear yet we have to wait until wendsday to talk with the surgeon and the oncologist to see which chemo regimin we are gonna do now the dr said they cant tell if they are getting bigger or shrinking because they have never seen these 2 spots before so it's a tuff decision we are going with next but it's looking very very he is getting better praise GOD and praise all of you each and everyone of you for taking time out of your busy schedules to pray for LIL RYDER you guys are the best friends anyone could ever have from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU each and everyone of you my great friends. Igot it late but that is the best christmas present ever. Ryder has discoverd he ha s a tounge and sticks it out at everybody and hed love laughing. Keep up the good work fellas. RIDE RYDER RIDE
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ryder
1 2 Previous Next