Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / estimation tips
- - By freddy tananta Date 10-29-2007 23:21
Hello everyone,
does any one can share tips about estimation on-site jobs or general estimation im not saying show me how to estimate i just need some advice about this subjet from a experience people, last year i  attended PRICING AND PROFITABILITY - CONTROLING THE COST OF WELDING seminar at the AWS SHOW in Georgia.i was working in different fields  of the welding industry at this time im planning to start a mobile welding service.

i will appreciate your advice.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-30-2007 00:09
freddy, i am building a livestock facility right now. we are building 25,000 ft of pipefence. In my job, the material and labor is running about 50/50. i can figure my material and the labor is right on target. this allows me to make $60-65 per hour per man. i am paying a hand 12 bucks an hour to weld a top rail on the fence and get $60-65 an hour out of him. my consumables are less than $40.00 per day for that employee. nice profit for me.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-30-2007 15:56
We figure it the same as shorthood, 60-65 an hour per man, and estimate 50 per day (8hrs) in consumables per man (gas, rod, wire, fuel, ware/tare, ect).  If you have been in the welding field long enough, you can almost look at the task at hand and estimate it within an hour or two.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 10-30-2007 15:53
After you have calculated materials and man hours on any job add 30% for what I refer to as the F@#% Factor this will in my experience look after the unforseen obsticles or the little things you may have foregot and best case sinerio will pay for the beer at the end of the job or the steak dinner which ever you perfer. Most estimation formulas will but you in the ball park but I have found that nothing pays off like well earned experience. Something to consider though, it is easyier to bring the price down then it is to bring it up. My two bits.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-30-2007 17:52
Yep, that's a good point that I forgot to mention, the F@*%$ factor.  We add 10% to the hours, and 15% to the consumables estimation.  We also add 20% to the material cost.  That's just the cost of handling, and money.  This gives you a little room to negotiate if the contractor demands a lower price.  If you have good material suppliers, you should be able to get 30 day terms.  Since you need material the fist day, and if the job you're on takes 2 weeks to complete, that means your material bill needs to be paid in 2 weeks.  Since your customer will pay you in 30 days from the completion date that means your material bill will have to come out of your cash reserve.  Along with that your helper won't wait to be paid for 30 days so that money also comes from the cash reserve. 
As you can see, this is the demise of many small businesses.  We call it the cash flow circle, and you are the start of the circle and from that point forward you are paying out until that circle comes all the way around again and is completed, then you get paid.  Managing expenses as the circle revolves around will make or break you.  Also, having many circles going at once will help you ensure money going out is less than money coming in.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-31-2007 23:09
now, i like that....F#%^$ Factor...thats goood...damn good.
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 11-04-2007 00:57
Well in my work here in Ga. I work on bridges I get 55 an hr. I figure it the same as shorthood. But on the jobs I bid on I try estimate the price increace on fuel, rods and ect. I picked up 3 bridge this month I bid on in March but they want start till Feb. or Mar. of 08. You have to think about alot when bidding on jobs to cover your butt.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 11-10-2007 00:49
freddy , try frankrwalker.com they may have something that might help . there are always things that experience will help most . good luck . willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / estimation tips