Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Nuclear Project in Tennessee
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-31-2007 12:51
I need some help finding out some info for an upcoming project in tenessee. Bechtel power just received the winning bid to complete watts bar 2 nuke reactor or bring it online. This is supposexd to be a 5 year $2.5 billion project needing 2300 workers at peak. I'm kinda wanting to relocate my family to what could be a better place and having 5 years of good work could certainly be a benefit. Also if anyone has any fist hand info on this area of Tenessee it would be greatly appreicated. The location is Spring City Tenessee and the plant is owned by the TVA. Thanks.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-31-2007 17:30
I've worked Watts Bar 1 construction and in service. Spring city doesn't have much. You'd be better off further south in Dayton Tn.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-31-2007 17:44
I was thinking of Ten Mile to Kingston maybe something on the lake.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-31-2007 19:25
Depends on if you have the money. Those areas have been getting exceptionally pricey as of late.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-31-2007 20:05
Well sources tell me nuke workers are getting $30-35 hr and $80-110 a day per diem and that would go a long way towards a few acres and or a lake lot. Thats kinda my thinking anyway have a house built and maybe nearly paid for by the end of the project???
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-31-2007 22:00 Edited 11-01-2007 02:31
I did have a long explaination, but spgtti said it a bit more clearly
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 11-01-2007 01:48
    This job will be manned out of Chattanooga for Pipefitter or Boilermaker union welders. Check out one of these halls if your interested. As for the pay scale fitters is low $20's, boilermakers are mid $20's with benefits. I'm working nukes with specialty automatic welding contractors and getting $30 and $100 a day. Your rates are a little high for southern jobs. If you go out as a local with TVA you definitely won't get any perdiem.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-01-2007 03:07
I am not sure of location but when I moved a friend from Kentucky (paducah) the area seemed very depressed as far as prices go......they were renting a house 3800 sq ft with basement at $450.00 a month.  Ciggeretess, gas and groceries were cheap.......I am looking at perm jobs there myself right now
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-01-2007 03:59
Tommy the area in question I am well familiar with. It has some things to consider before assuming it's depressed. It is in close proximity to the following areas:
Oak ridge national labs, Knoxville Tn, Chattanooga Tn, and with the recent addition of a highway connecting I 24 and I 75 in the middle rather than looping through Chattanooga or taking the long ride down I 40, has made prices in the area a lot higher than what you've quoted. I doubt very seriously you'll find a 3800 sq ft home for even double the price you've listed.

This area is also well used to TVA dollars. The mere mention of it makes the rent jump 50 percent.

Whole and short of it, anyone thinking along the lines of getting into the area cheap is making a mistake. I have 20 acres in the area on Dayton mountain. I've been following the prices for some time now. There has been a lot of speculation in regards to Watts Bar, and confirmation of the site going up has already spiked area prices.

As a point of history, Watts bar stands as "the" most expensive commercial nuclear site ever built in the states. 25 billion by the last report I read. Crafts worked that job so long
they retired without ever shifting to another project. Do a little history search on WBN. It will make for an interesting read.

The upside is it's a nice area, good hunting, good fishing, good scenery and aside from the occasional grubbing carpetbagger, some nice people.
But don't be under any illusions that it will be cheap. Now if you get conformation of the bellefonte site in Hollywood AL, that will be another story. 
There are just to many ways in and out of there in to many low cost areas. Aside from one paper mill, there is no industry to speak of in that area,
and therefore, prices are relatively cheap. Getting into 10 to 20 acres there would be no problem as long as you tell em your working in S pittsburg, Chattanooga,
or huntsville.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-01-2007 05:04
Thx Gerald   My memories relate to around 1996 (subject to change without notice LOL).   Again thx for the info I would have to go back and look where the resume is going but my plan is to only seriously investigate the bites on the line so to speak.   If they say yes I will price out the lay of the land and then negotiate. 
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 11-01-2007 12:49
This is why I love this site, so much info. To really do what I want I'll need $28-32 hr and some per diem with some OT for a while. But who doesnt want the white whale I guess. I'm still going to persue this but with alot more perspective and reality. I plan to visit there in 2 weeks to check out the area first hand. I seeing that the specialty companies my be my best avenue for more money and per diem. I talked with Carolina Energy but they are not in that area as of yet and Wachs is also not in that area. I'll try Bechtel power for a QC job???
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 11-20-2007 17:07
I've visited the area. You were right on this place is back in time but the area is beautiful. I still beleive I can make some money there because theres not much to spend it on. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Nuclear Project in Tennessee