Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / The T-joint boogie and why it happens..
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 10-29-2007 09:52
Tommy!

Cheers mate! :-)

I'm your fan!

You know, I have read it too late but this was good for me :-), since everything what should be treated has been treated and this in a way that I am still... speechless!

Just a very little remark from my side and no response necessary on that.

I was impressed by Dave Boyers post and I guess everything else has been completely explained by you great folks! You know there is nothing more complete than "complete" and nothing more perfect than "perfect" :-)

My best regards to you,
Stephan
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-29-2007 13:19
Hey man, i want to pick your your brains for everything they got up there about the wonderful world of welding while i have you all here.  Knowledge is power in this industry and i'm a very curious person. ;-) 
Parent - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 11-01-2007 16:43
Hello all,
Im a new member who just happened upon this topic while looking at the AWS page. I too have experienced the "boogie" effect while welding and after reading through the thread I would like to throw a theroy into the mix. Please keep in mind that I have very little phsyics under the belt and if im barking up the wrong tree please let me know. 
What if the boogie is being caused by the phsyical force of the current impacting and passing through the base metal?
Im aware of the magnetic forces created by the passing of an electric current, like the grinding dust standing up around the leads, but im trying to get at the phsyical force of the current being transmitted from the tungsten to the base metal.
A Coworker of mine shocked himself good one day, a full ground from the torch through the filler rod to his elbow on the table, and he said his first reaction was to rip off his helment and turn around ready to hit someone because he thought someone hit him with a baseball bat.
I realize theres a huge diffrence between someones arm and 2 peices of stainless, but im wondering what would the metal feel, and if it feels anything would that be enough to start it boogieing?

Thanks for reading, Clif B.
(ps, sorry if i can't spell)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / The T-joint boogie and why it happens..
1 2 Previous Next