Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / AWS membership renewal?
- - By Kix (****) Date 10-12-2007 14:25
   When you get your CWI do you get an extra year tacked on to your membership or anything?  You'd think after dropping over 2g's to take a test and get some paperwork written up on ya that they would tack on at least an extra year onto your membership.  I can't remember if they said you did or not, but i just got my renewal notice in the mail so i'm takening it i have to fork up another 80$ for this next year.  I know in the AMA (American motorcycle association) when you allready have your AMA card and you send off for your Pro License and get accepted you get an extra year tacked on.  Anyway, i was just wondering..
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 10-12-2007 15:31
not sure.  You may want to call AWS on that.  I took and passed my CWI which gave me a membership, and even after that they still sent me stuff in the mail asking if I wanted to join.  Almost sounds as if the two departments may not have the best of, or up to date communication.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-12-2007 16:47
I thought i heard something about something to do with a membership during the CWI exam.  Good to know i'm not to crazy!  I'll call and look into this.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 11-01-2007 15:59
For a non profit organization these renewals get costly.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-01-2007 16:23
I get a coupon for a free bowl of soup when I renew every year!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-01-2007 17:43
There is no such thing as non profit organizations. Somebody sure as hell is profiting with the cost of the materials, certifications, and code books. Maybe it's going back into research, I dunno, but it sure doesn't feel like non profit.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-01-2007 18:07
Gerald

The AWS is not a Non-Profit organization.  It is a "Not-For-Profit" organization, and as such is required to make a profit.  However, the "Profit" goes back into the organization.  Despite the detractors who really do not know, and probably cannot interpret the Financial Report that comes out in the Welding Journal each year,  The Society is quite well run as a business.  To better understand the financial report, ask your District Director for a copy of the full report.

As to New Tito's quip that the departments do not know what each other are doing, to a certain extent, that is correct and as it should be for good sound reasons.

Joe Kane
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 11-01-2007 23:27
AWS seems to think it's a nonprofit.  Which still doesn't mean it doesn't make a profit.  It just means that profit isn't doled out to stakeholders.

Hg
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / AWS membership renewal?