Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What metals can I weld with AC stick?
- - By frozt Date 10-29-2007 01:13
Hello, another beginner question...I was wondering what metals I can weld with my Lincoln AC-225 stick welder. The main one's I'm wondering about are stainless steel, galvanized steel, lead, aluminum, and maybe even copper. Will regular AC rods work on these or do I need a specific type? Also, I've heard that there ARE some types you shouldn't use AC stick on, but will it still actually weld if it was just for something cosmetic? I mean, technically, any metal that conducts electricity theoretically should be able to strike an arc right? And another question I had was about the "black pipe" you see at places like Home Depot. What is "black pipe", is it fairly strong, and can you weld it?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-29-2007 01:37
Welcome to the world of welding. The stick welding process is pretty versatile however it also takes a little more manual dexterity than many others. All of the metals you mentioned will strike an ark. When stick welding, you will also need a filler metal that is suitable your base metal. stick electrodes are avaialble for most steels and other metals such as aluminum.

Many of these can be DIFFICULT to work with but possible.

Black pipe is carbon steel. It is strong but that is relative. It is weldable. Some of the coaring can be pretty bad for you. Get good ventilation.

Also, stay away from lead!

What are you wanting to do with your welder?

Gerald
Parent - - By frozt Date 11-02-2007 20:55
So by carbon steel do you mean high carbon content or something more like mild steel? And with the metals I mention which can strike an arc, if I tried to use a rod that's not meant for it such as 6011 or 7018, would it actually stick, and just be a very weak weld, or will the metal not bond at all(mainly I'm wondering about applications where the weld won't have to bear much, if any weight)? Also, what's a good rod to use for stainless? And regarding what I want to do with my welder, I just wanted to know my limitations; I don't really have a serious project in mind right now.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-03-2007 03:36
Carbon steel refers to steel with carbon as the primary alloy element, in reality unless You are willing to deal with pre and post heat treat You should stick to low carbon or "mild" steel. For stainless You need the rods that end in -16 for Your AC machine. For the common 302, 302 & 304 materials sometimes refered to as 18-8 You use 308-16, If You are working with 316 You want 316-16. If the stainless designation ends in "L" You want the "L" designation rods too [316L-16 etc.] for stainless to carbon steel use 309-16. Which "other" metals do You have in mind? These are general rules for non critical work, the only kind I do.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-29-2007 02:30 Edited 10-29-2007 03:39
With AC stick You are OK with steel and stainless. You need rods that are made for AC. I don't know of any aluminum or cast iron rods for AC. When welding galvanized steel, remove the galvanizing as best You can by grinding or an acid etch. Then stay out of the fume from the zink You didn't get off. The fume is toxic, but usually isn't deadly in itself. We lost a member of Our blacksmithing group due to the zink fume agravating some respritory issues He had. As Gerald mentions NEVER strike an arc on lead, as the lead fume is really toxic. You work lead just above it's melting point with an air/fuel torch to stay below the temperature that makes the fumes, and still You need good ventilation. I don't know of copper AC arc rods. There is a device called an "arc torch" that can be used with Your welder to braze and heat metal for bending, it is crude, but if You don't have an oxy/acytlene set it is usefull. Black pipe is fine for home shop & farm construction, If in doubt, make it stout. That bears true for any non engineered work. PS: There is a recomendation by labib on an AC cast Iron rod in the "technical" section under Alumatig's request for "Cast Iron repair weld -- Help".
Parent - - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 10-29-2007 05:19
Hello DaveBoyer  I have been told that when you weld allot of galvanizing, and before you get sick to drink milk. I use a respirator that gets the air from the middle of my back when when ever I can, so I don't know if the milk thing works?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-29-2007 09:55 Edited 10-29-2007 09:58
the milk thing helps your body recover (or lessen symptoms) from a condition known as Zinc Oxide Poisoning.  It most circumstances it will make you just feel like crap...but in heavy inhalation cases it can cause hospitalization or even death.  It is serious business...i personally know a fellow who spent several days in the hospital from it.....he did not believe the ventilation in the "galvanize booth" was inadequate so he set himself up in there to work all day and prove us wrong.   Good ventilation and respiration protection can go a long way to preventing any problems.
Parent - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 10-30-2007 05:45
I thank you for clearing that up, I think everyone should just use there head and know what your welding, if your in the smoke your too close.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 10-30-2007 21:32
First use ac electrodes; they are designed to weld with low open circuit voltage. Second, if your machine has multiple adjustment positions to set a specific amperage; set so that the open circuit voltage is the highest for a selected amperage. Check the voltage with an ac voltmeter. Make the connections with machine turned off. Turn the machine and read/measure the voltage. Use the setting position that has the highest no load/open circuit voltage.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What metals can I weld with AC stick?