Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ranger 8 P.C. Board????
- - By sparkin (*) Date 11-03-2007 03:03
I think I need to replace the P.C. Board on my newly acquired (used) Ranger 8.
It welds like a dream but it will not idle up when I strike an arc.
It welds just fine when I flip it to high idle but like I said, it won't do it on its own.
The switches test good in the circuit so the last thing is the P.C. Board....I assume.
I took the fancy cover off of it to inspect it and there appears to be a few "browned" pieces on it.
Do any of you guys know where I can get a new one on the web or get it rebuilt?
I haven't talked to the Lincoln dealer yet for the obvious reasons we all stay out of there...$$$$$$!!
Thanks for any light yall can shed this way.
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 11-03-2007 09:43
I just replaced a board on a Lincoln weldanpower 8000.  I was charged $250.00 for a freshly rebuilt board.  I would imagine that yours would cost about the same, I think the rangers use the same board as the weldanpower.
Parent - By sparkin (*) Date 11-03-2007 10:27
Thanks turbolaser, did you go through the dealer?
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 11-04-2007 14:36
Call the nice people ar ARC Products in San Diego, California and tell what you have.  They have been super helpful to me on a vairety of different welders over the last ten years.  If they don't have your particular board, they have resources for reman boards that are far less costly then the OEM and have better components on them.           
Parent - By turbolaser (**) Date 11-04-2007 16:42
I went through a local company that repairs and sells parts for power sources and welders.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-05-2007 15:18
It is a faulty connection on the pick up wire. The green wire is located on the back side of your output stud. Take it loose, clean it up and secure it snuggly. Your machine will idle up. Your weld.idle board L8484-3 controls output and idles the machine down.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 11-05-2007 15:23
L8484 rebuilt board (by Innovat Corp with 90 warranty) $116.25
L8484-3 New (1yr warranty) $204.61
Parent - - By sparkin (*) Date 11-05-2007 18:22
Thank you very much. I went by the dealer today and they threw a few numbers out that sounded something like $600!!! for a new board. When I get to the house I'll try the green wire clean. Makes total sense, when I crank it up, it starts in high idle and will idle down normally but not up. I thought there was a sensing problem but the scematic in the book wasn't all that desciptive. Thanks again fella.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-06-2007 19:19
Sparkin-
  Did you get it fixed last night?
Parent - - By sparkin (*) Date 11-07-2007 02:40
Incredible! I took off the wire and it looked clean and shiny. Kinda thought you were crazy but I brushed it off, put it back together and it worked perfectly. Now I know why Lincoln wanted to install the new board themselves, perhaps it was so they could clean that terminal off while they had it??? Man, you saved me a lot of headache with that tip. Thanks again for your help.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-07-2007 14:07
Anytime your having a problem with a machine please feel free to contact me by email: ksellon@billsweldererpair.com

I hear too many horror stories on a daily basis, not to help whenever I can. There are a few of us family owned and operated repair shops left, that are honest and willing to provide service, not just a bill.

Good luck and God Bless.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-08-2007 04:36
It is great to have someone Like You available here. I give general troubbleshooting advice, but You know the specifics.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ranger 8 P.C. Board????