Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rheostat burnout
- - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-06-2007 12:17
My 200g just fried the rheostat, is there something that would cause this to happen or was it mabey just a faulty rheo?
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 11-06-2007 14:30
You are talking about a rheostat and not a potentiometer; correct? Did you make a big change (higher/lower) in output when it fried? If so it is possible that the wiper climbed on top of dirt and crud (not so electrically conductive stuff). A rheostat should be "wiped" by turning it to maximum and then to minimum a couple of times each day to clean the crud off.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-06-2007 14:41
Could be dirty causing faulty connection and burn out. Could be bad connection to rheostat, if you are using a remote it could be something faulty with the remote. Too many environmental causes to say anything for sure.
Parent - - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-07-2007 00:05
just put the new rheo on, wiped it all the way to 100, sparks flying from the rheo when it hit 100 then after that everything seems to be fine. thought I had a short somewhere but the engine idles down just like it should.  I think I'll give it some good welding tomorro, if it burns this one I'll take it off and put the faithfull redface on, thanks for the input. 
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-07-2007 14:00 Edited 11-07-2007 21:06
Are you using a remote? You could have a bad connection in the pigtail or in the remote. No sparks should fly at anytime on the rheostat.
Parent - - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-07-2007 23:59 Edited 11-08-2007 00:04
Don't have a remote but I would like have one.  I used it today and had no problem.  Can't imagine what caused the new rheo to throw fire that one time when I rolled it up to 100 and it didn't seem to hurt anything! I'll just keep on and see what happens next. 
Parent - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 11-08-2007 12:39
I cooked one a couple months back, it was kinda a combination of things.  I did find a short in the wiring inside (one of the marrettes had partially melted) and arced on the wiper thingy and a bunch of insulation had come off the rheostat.  The last couple weeks I used it a fella could fry eggs on the thing, fixed up the wiring and replaced the rheostat, good for another 50 dumps into a watery ditch.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rheostat burnout