Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / have some questions
- - By ineedanswers Date 11-06-2007 17:05
I was thinking of getting into welding or soldering so i have some questions.

What is the difference between Eutectic and Standard solder?

What is alloying in reference to soldering?

What is "wetting action" in reference to soldering?

What is the difference between a mechanical connection and a soldered connection?

Why is a soldered connection preferable?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-06-2007 18:37
What is the difference between Eutectic and Standard solder?

The eutectic point is the lowest melting point.  It varies with chemistry, so
a eutectic solder say a lead tin, would be a solder with a chemistry that gives the lowest melting point.

What is alloying in reference to soldering?
Alloying is the chemical composition.  The differences effect melting point and other properties.

What is "wetting action" in reference to soldering?
Wetting is how the solder flows.  Good wetting will give smooth flow.  Flux cleans the oxides away and aids wetting.

What is the difference between a mechanical connection and a soldered connection?
A solder connection would be better electrically.  On a pipe or tube, it would seal better.

Why is a soldered connection preferable?
I prefer solder for electrical connections or where sealing is required.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-06-2007 20:06
You made his teacher happy.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-08-2007 05:32
Is there an oficial policy regarding questions that sound like homework on this site? Giving answeres to homework questions is taboo on a blacksmithing site I frequent, what is the word here?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-08-2007 06:39
cheating and i dont even know what in the world kind of questions he asked or what they pertain too but for thinking about getting into that kind of trade he had to get the info sumwhere i learned the basics of welding when i was a kid in high school and from my dad the rest i just bought a machine and taught myself or was taught tricks in the field yeah i'd say he's cheating on homework
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-08-2007 13:57
This person did not ask where he could find information. He wanted somebody to tell him the answers so he could get back to HALO. I have nto seen him on the forum before and pretty much feel he want be back. I am always willing to share what I know. But I am too old to do a kids homework!
BABRT's
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / have some questions