Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding and to this forum.
- - By Welditon (*) Date 11-04-2007 15:23
Hello, I am a displaced unemployed worker in the dead state of Indiana. 41 with a family. I took some welding in high school and have done some welding in automotive. Never really looked at it as an occupation. 'Til now. Looking to go to a vocational school very soon or maybe have to wait until the spring. I have a Lincoln Lincwelder AC-225-S. I haven't welded with it for a good while. Setting up now to do a lot of practicing. At 41 I am getting into this pretty late. Was wondering what direction I should look to take as a career path. I pick things up rather quickly.....so, let the suggestions fly. Thanks. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-04-2007 16:31
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

It's never to late to start over, but it does make it a bit harder. If you could give me an idea of what you've done to date, it would help.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-04-2007 16:43
Well, most of what I have done was simply through trial and error. In the autobody work that I have done. It was MIG welding. Welding patch panels in and such. I took some welding in highschool and I remember very little of it. I just wasn't interested in it at the time. I have alway been able to "trip through" and get something welded together when it was needed. So.....lets just start from the beginning. I will be looking for this work as soon as I get out of the schooling so that I can "learn as I earn". I had honestly thought about getting some experience and running a mobile unit for myself. I live in a heavily farmed area and everybody keeps telling me to go that route.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-04-2007 17:01
if you could list your previous jobs through your life. this will help in giving advise for your future, and welcome to the forum.
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-04-2007 17:38
I have years of experience truck driving. Tractor trailer in the beginning. Tri-axle dump as well. I spent a few years plumbing....up to about 3-4 years ago. I was really good at soldering pipe and layout. Did some electrical work while I was there as well. As far as the autobody....I can use an english wheel and fabricate by hand for restoration and rust repair on cars. Other than that I have (was...not anymore) played music for forever. But, I gave that up. Welding will be a new thing all around. I am going to enter the schooling like I know nothing at all about it. Fact is....I don't know much about  it.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-04-2007 21:28
what about hot rod shops or custom bike building shops? just a suggestion, snything around there?
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-04-2007 21:42
Yeah, I will be looking at that as a possibility. Not too much of it goes on around here. I spent the last 10 years on and off learning how to use an english wheel and fabricate sheetmetal over a shot bag with bossing mallets and all. But, no luck around here! My area is pretty dead. I may very well be looking at a move once I am clear of the school. Though I plan to continouisly "school" to make up for some lost time. Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to hear from you.  
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-04-2007 22:08 Edited 11-04-2007 22:12
Welcome aboard!!

Tough situation for sure. It will take time to develop the necessary skills, but if you are willing to travel extensively, pipelining and industrial piping is probably the best way to large amounts of cash quick......again it would take time to be prepared for that type of work. 

here is a few threads on this forum that might be helpfull or give food for thought.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=60706;hl=welder%20pay%20rates#pid60706

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=12312;pg=1
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=61793;hl=welder%20pay%20rates#pid61793

There are lots of good folks on here ready to help out so...I believe you can get some good direction here that could make your transition smoother then usual

Tommy
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-04-2007 22:26
Hey thanks! I will most definately check those out. Yeah, this forum stays up and busy. I figured it would be a while before I could just run with it. But, that's ok. Nothin' worth while is easy, right? Thanks again. Keep all the info comin' guys.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-05-2007 00:37
Welcome to the forum. If you want to become a welder, find somebody with a wedling shop and offer to hire out. YOu will be supprised if you walk into a welding shop and find out who would hire you and be honest with them. Tell them you need a job, want to weld and will make thme a hand if they will give you the chance. If they say no aske if they know anyone who would hire you and train you to be a welder. If you have four shops in town I bet one of them will take you up on your offer. I put a guy on two weeks ago who showed up for a test who could not weld. He tried. Lord he tried. But he hit me with the I will make you a hand and do what ever needs to be done. Passed the we we test, background check and did his safety council. Its up to him now. Give it a try. If you need to feed your family, and make a man a hand, somebody will teach you havo to weld. Look at us. We learned and I know I was about a s thick headed as they come. You do need some basic eye hand coordination though. Good luck and let the forum know how your hunt goes.
BABRT's 
Parent - By Welditon (*) Date 11-05-2007 00:46
Hey there. You know I think I may do just that. I was wondering that very thing. The wife and I were talking about it. I will definately let you all know how it goes. I have VERY good hand eye coordination. Thanks for the help. This forum has been really informative. Thanks dbigkahunna.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-05-2007 12:58
Hey Welditon,
Welcome to the forum and the best informative-packed group of welders you will find. All the gents have provided you with sound advice and suggestions to enter the welding arena and make a good living. The future for welders is very lucrative with the impending shortage of those in my age genre(63) who are getting ready to retire. Your age means nothing if you have the desire to want to learn the welding skills necessary to become proficient, productive, and "in demand" by the companies who are in dire need of really good welders. Don't hesitate to go to school and really apply yourself with a positive mindset you can learn all the different welding applications, ie; SMAW(stick)), GMAW(mig), GTAW(tig), O/A, plasma cutting, and the variables associated with each. Your desire to get better comes with practice, practice, practice.....make mistakes, they will make you better, and if frustration sets in, STOP! Take a break. It will come.

Dbigkahunna provided great suggestions to "get your feet wet".....try it.....a fab shop will allow you to do many different techniques and see the infinite configurations metal can be manipulated & welded. If you seek the premium wage arena, the pipeline, rig & structural job market will be the best....of course, the drawback will be the travel involved and time away from your family. Many considerations will come into play for you to ponder.

Since you have some metal forming & welding experience, although limited, you will find the learning curve a bit easier than someone who has no practical knowledge at all. So, you see, you already have a primer that simply needs to expand into the multiple facets of welding techniques & parameters. Believe me, I've welded for 43+ years and I still learn.....it's neverending. Come here...ask questions...read old posts...pick up as many books as you can on welding.

Here's a question to ask yourself: "HOW BAD DO I WANT IT???????". The hungriest welders make the most...and are the best...........Denny
Parent - By Welditon (*) Date 11-05-2007 14:07
Hello Denny, That is all great advice. And I have to tell ya....I agree whole heartedly about this forum. You all have really been good on the responses. One of the reasons I picked welding was because of my age. I figured, though getting at it late, that as long as a guy wasn't afraid to work or learn, he would still be fine. I have been reading everything I can. Been searching the web as well. One thing frankly, I didn't realise was that there was a shortage of qualified welders. The advice on the different processes to study is a very helpful bit of information. Personally, I like to hear from the veterans who have been in the business for years. Not only do we have to do the best job we can do.....but, we also have to try to live up to your work and professionalism. Granted, not easy to do by no means.....but, something for us all to shoot for. Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it.
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 11-05-2007 14:12
Welcome to the forum. As was already said, it is never too late to learn. And desire IS everything. There will always be a demand for skilled pipe welders so mastering SMAW (stick welding) and GTAW (tig welding) would be essential, or at least get a taste of all welding processes. IF your eyes are really good.............be prepared for the over 40 downward spiral of your vision. I could count the hairs on a flea until I turned 43 and then I couldn't see  a moosefly on a moose. It happens and you do not even know it nor will you want to admit it. Wearing corrective lenses or "cheater" lenses in your hood will be necessary if you want to play the game. I have taught many to weld and the most common problem older students have is bad vision. Once they they take care of that, they all pick up the craft fairly quickly.
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-05-2007 14:48
Hello medicinehawk01, I thought it seemed there was a emphasis on SMAW & GTAW. I kept seeing it over and over. I will definately concentrate on those two processes to start. As far as my vision goes.....I know it may very well fade. I have no problem wearing glasses or what have you. But, I have always been able to read a license plate at literally almost a whole block away! My vision was checked just a few years back at well above the standard 20/20. Lets just hope it holds! lol. I think I will catch on pretty quickly. I have at most everything that I have ever tried. One strength I have; I never think I know it all! No matter. There is always something more to know and learn. Anyway, thanks medicinehawk01. I can always use the encouragement. 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-05-2007 15:04
Hello Welditon, you have already been introduced to many of the great individuals who make up a part of the forum here. I believe they have already given you a terrific rundown on the trade and how you can fit into it. Just to reiterate some of what has been said, individuals your age already have most of the skills that employers are looking for: ie, work ethics, communication skills, teamworking skills, the other thing that you have at this point are the many life skills that you bring with you from your previous working history. Your truckdriving experience is an education, you know the physics of heavy objects and loads and likely also know how to rig and lift as a result of this experience. Any number of other traits that you already have under your belt will be an asset to you in your new career as a welder, fabricator, pipeliner, whatever you end up pursuing. As you go forward, don't stress or anything about what you feel you may not know, instead think of the many experiences you have already had in your life and apply this practical knowledge to the new challenges as they come your way. Continue to be a part of this forum and keep us all posted on your progress, as questions arise post them up if you feel so inclined and as you are reading and learning from this great resource don't hesitate to answer the questions of others as they pursue their quest for knowledge. Welcome to the forum and best regards, aevald
Parent - By Welditon (*) Date 11-05-2007 15:29
Hello aevald, That is all great advice. I feel the plumbing and the electrical will be a good source to draw from as well. I promise you that I will most definately stay a part of this forum. And keep everyone posted on what all is going on. This place has been a great start to a new endeavor. I am getting some books to read through today. And looking to make some calls and visit some shops here in my area. I will let you know if anything happens. Thanks for the valuable advice.
Parent - - By Crabb (*) Date 11-07-2007 16:47
I am a Union Millwright Instructor and we have everyone of our members working right now that wants to be working.  If you like working on equipment and setting machinery and dont mind to drive a little. We also do a lot of welding.  If you think that you might be interested or want more information just email me or give me a call.
jcrabb@ikrccjatf.org
317-549-9417 ext. 7
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-07-2007 17:17
Hey....I am emailing you now!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-08-2007 04:33
The millwright trade would be an excellent education for You on all counts. I think You would benifit from it in any industrial job You ever have in the future.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-08-2007 07:54
I would have to agree because pretty much you have to get into a bit of all skill trades to be a good millwright...fit/fab/weld/cut/wrench/mech/plumb/move/setup/wire  etc.etc.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-08-2007 13:59
My hat is off to you. I wish more of the Unoins who preach would practice as you have done.
Parent - By Welditon (*) Date 11-08-2007 14:13
Hey guys. Yeah, I have been emailing back and forth with him on this. Sounds like it is pretty good so far. I'm still checking it out. I tried to go to the welding shops around here. Didn't have any luck. One told me he "wouldn't give anyone from a school the time of day". I don't know what the deal was there. But...a dumb %^$ is a dumb %$#! Another guy said his operation was just too small. It was really just him. I understood that. He led me to another guy who said he had all the help he could handle and I seen the welders there sweeping the floors! There are still a few I have to check out. But, man everything here, at least in my area.....is well...you know. I told you all that I would keep you updated. There you have it. I am calling on the Millwright thing today. I have a phone number in hand. Thanks for all your input.
Parent - - By Crabb (*) Date 11-08-2007 15:51
I seen a person how was motivated and wanting to learn.  I wish that more of us would try to find people like this.
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-08-2007 20:32
Hey guys thanks for the support. Didn't have any luck with the other few shops that I checked with. Still tryin'.
Parent - - By Welditon (*) Date 11-12-2007 21:41
Still no luck guys. I have an appointment with the millwright deal Monday the 19th. Where did everyone go?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-13-2007 04:33
I hope You get the job. That is an excellent trade, and extremely usefull if You work in ANY type of hands on job.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-13-2007 05:11
We're here dude just keep us updated it may not seem like anyone cares anymore but we do trust me the guys in here are the best bu nch of guys you will ever know my 4 month old son was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 months ago i turned to these guys and they came to me like i was the 1 with cancer and althought they may not reply everytime i know they care and are still praying for Ryder trust me when i say these are the best friends you'll ever have and if you have questions no matter how dumb you may think they are ask them these guys will jump thru hoops to help you most anyway they can me included so dont fret if you dont get a reply right away you'll get 1 sooner or later
Parent - By Welditon (*) Date 11-13-2007 15:03
Hey there....Yeah, I was just "ribbing" everyone more than anything. I knew your son had been going through a lot. You guys as well. I posted on that thread as well. You guys are in our prayers. I hope he and you are doing better. I agree, you all are a great group to be involved with. Sure has helped me I tell ya. Heres to hoping everything just keeps getting better for your son and you. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding and to this forum.