Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting Wage for a new CWI?
- - By awspartb (***) Date 11-08-2007 20:47
Here's my situation: 

Welder for 21 years in a wide range of industry.
AS Degree in Business Management.
Union Apprentice Program Graduate.
Brand new CWI who has yet to work as an inspector.
Passed CWI exam on the first try (which I'm proud of).

I make around $65,000 a year but only work 8 or 9 months a year. Still love the trade but the body and eyes are not what they used to be.
Can I get anywhere near this figure as an entry level CWI? It's tough to break into the CWI field in a construction union due to
nepotism.  Plus the fact that the contractors don't really care if you are a CWI or not as long as they feel you are a "qualified person".  The union hall usually sends out the family members to fill these positions.  Any suggestions on how to start the job search and what to expect, what to avoid, etc ? All comments appreciated.

My location is the Northeast in the Great Lakes area.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-08-2007 21:12
no. you will probably make 35 to 50 working 12 months. in a few years you would be able to get more certs and make that money, this would include a lot of travel. 2 years min., unless you know someone. you might want to try a testing lab only to get exposed to several different aspects of inspection, and follow what you like.
Parent - By kelly_b (*) Date 11-09-2007 04:35
I think it also varies by region and location?
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-09-2007 09:29
Sounds like I should stay in the trade union and try and wear them down. There is a massive shortage of skilled trades welders and especially inspectors but the nepotism thing is rampant. It's a hard sell when there are so many family connected people.  Anyone out there in the Boilermakers or Pipefitters union?  Anyone know how to still work union as a CWI while soliciting your own work with union contractors as a CWI?  Negotiating tactics?  I know many do it around these parts but they are tight lipped on the details.

Testing lab sounds interesting.  I'll look into it.

Opinions needed and appreciated.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-09-2007 13:09
yes it will vary by location
have you looked into pipeline inspection, i do believe they have union inspectors
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting Wage for a new CWI?