Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Post your thoughts about helping students w/ homework here
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2007 21:06
Like the title says...post up your thoughts or concerns for helping students that come in looking for answers to questions that are most likely homework questions. Someone had asked about what the policy was concerning helping with such threads/posts, so I would like to see the opinions of the posters here.

OK, Take it away,....but remember most of us grew up before the advent of the internet and infomation tools like are available today. Our teachers didn't give us assignments to look up on the internet, like today's students. My son is in 6th grade and my daughter is in 2nd grade...both of them have homework and must use the internet to complete it.

I know when I was in school, we had the Encyclopedia, they now have Wikipedia....I think it would still be kosher to use either source as long as the source is given the proper credit.

When talking with someone else about this, they also made mention whether a student walking up into a welding shop asking these type questions would upset the teacher...so what do you guys think?
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-08-2007 21:22
Well John, I see it 2 ways. 

1.  The question that was posted Tuesday that looked like it was typed directly from a test by someone that obviously has not (and probably never will) be an active member of the site should not be answered.

2.  Others that come here, express their lack of knowledge, constructively ask for help, and respond to other members, should be answered.

It's just like some of the advertisements that show up here and are quickly deleted, you can tell by reading the first sentence or two, if it's someone that is looking for assistance or someone looking for a free ride.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-08-2007 21:30
I think any question should be answered if it can be answered.  I refer people to the site all the time and if they only use it once it still may benefit the AWS.  If they come on and ask a question and get good help they may stick around and also refer people to the sight.  The guy that only comes in here once and asks one question may refer the site to another that may stick around for a long time if he gets good help.  I see where your coming from though MDG.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-08-2007 22:13
MDG Custom Weld,  John

I too saw this question and felt someone was asking us to do his/her homework.  I agree with MDG Custom Weld's assessment.  I am opposed to helping people "Cheat".

I grew up needing to get a ride from my mother to get to the library to do the research papers in the 7th and 8th grades.  I cannot imagine what it would have been like to have the internet available.  Even today, my internet research experience is limited.  Today I could not imagine how I could put a footnote in my paper attributing a passage in the paper to "John Wright; AWS Forum, 11-07-07, Homework String" . 

On the other hand, I never grew up with the internet, so I do not know if I have made a valid observation, or if I am just practicing punditry.

John, I hope I am not hurting your feelings.  I think you offered a valid new idea. However, I am still opposed to the idea.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-08-2007 21:47
Hello John, I have followed this with limited thought for a while and I suppose now would be the time to make some comment from a welding instructors point of view. Any trade or occupation requires a certain mastery of the information relative to the particular trade. "Knowledge is Power" is certainly a true statement and the more that an individual knows the better the likelihood of the success of that individual in any given situation. When I consider the homework and other things that I assign to students I have a sort of unwritten rating system of how I view the importance of the information that I expect students to master. Some information falls into the nice to know category, this is the sort of thing that explains the trade, history of it, some of the nuances but doesn't really make the student a better welder, fabricator, helper, or anything else, this is also the type of information that I would expect the student to be able to locate by using the internet, library, or other sources of information, I am keying on the "ability to find and locate this information" and not to know or master it. There is also a host of very technical information that relates to any given trade or portion of it. Here again the key to me for this part, is the ability of the individual to find, locate, understand, and comprehend this information and how to apply it. I don't expect them to have a photographic memory in regard to the majority of this type of information, arguably it would be great if everyone had this sort of ability but it isn't absolutely necessary. The final portion of this to me is the part that is really the important area: SAFETY, understanding and having the ability to perform the technical aspects of a given welding process or scenario(the hands on ability to weld, fit, or otherwise perform the work using all the applicable tools), knowing set-up(machinery, equipment, tools, etc.) and how to interpret information from weld procedures and prints, basically all of the nuts and bolts type things that actually make a job happen and work to be completed safely, correctly, and on-time.
     I guess to summarize my comments here I would say that when an individual takes the initiative to gain information they have taken the first steps to learning. Whether they look it up in a textbook, research it on the internet, ask questions and take down the responses from an individual in person, or utilize any other of many means to gain the information, they are engaged in learning. When students come to me looking for answers it doesn't mean that I just blirt out the answers so that they can write them down without taking any personal initiative, in that sort of situation I try to lead them to find the answers on their own by asking them questions that will lead their own answers to the answer that they're looking for(wow was that confusing or what?). Anyway, I don't feel necessarily that giving information that I think might be the answer to a students questions is a bad thing. They have read the question, I or someone else will possibly give them the answer, and the key thing here: they have to trust that they were given the correct answer so that when they write it down on their paper they feel confident that it is indeed the right answer. My $.02. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-08-2007 22:20
The considerable strength of the contributing posters here on the forum, some of the leading experts in the trades, must always be tempered by the ever present fact that this is an internet chat room and anybody can pretty much say anything they want as far as advice goes. Take that any way you like, folks are free to comment on any post; and those who post answers to very technical questions often have little or nothing in the way of qualifications, experience or training in the areas to which they speak. It may or may not be a bargain, even with no cost.

Citing the AWS forum as a source for a homework assignment or research paper is not going to fulfill an MLS type of format requiement anyhow.
http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

On the other hand... it is good for learners to find information via computer.  Part of teaching and learning is making sure the source of information is trustworthy.

As far as my views of students looking to fill in the blanks on a homework assignment..... My style would be to point them toward the answers... Miller, Lincoln, the DOD all have technical articles that will answer most entry level questions and even some pretty high level quesitons.... I don't think it would be harmful to drop a student the link to some of that information and then invite them back to ask more specific questions if the text indicated did not fit the learners needs.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2007 22:03
For those who have tuned in late...

Here are the latest 2 threads that I'm speaking about....(written by the same poster)

http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=13553

http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=13554
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-08-2007 22:26
Hopefully the schools are still putting the greatest emphasis on the testing.  I hated homework when I was in school and was always looking for the easy way out, too.  But when it came to the tests and the majority of the grade it was you either know or you dont.  It is true, the kids will find the easy way out but maybe they are comprehending the answers they get the easy way.  At least they are still giving some effort and not dropping out like too many do.  Still i dont think it is a bad idea not to answer when you know that is what is going on.
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 11-09-2007 02:33
From mypoint of view, it isn't answering the question that creates a problem, it is the use of the answer.

If I were I a student, and I got an "answer" from here, I would want to verify that it is correct before submitting it.  So while it may have helped the student know "what" to look for, it still requires them to type it, read the answer, and then verify it....or risk a bad grade.  Still seems like learning to me.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-09-2007 19:29
What gave it away that he was looking for answers on homework? lol  It wasn't his screen name was it.;-)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-09-2007 00:40
I think most people here can tell when its a homework question or a genuine question. the posts in question are clearly homework and the answers can be found with a little research. I dont think homework should be so easy.
Parent - - By sparkin (*) Date 11-09-2007 01:00
John,
I think that the actual learning is completely up to the student. They are tested on a wide array of subjects and they have the choice to "cram" for the exam just to pass, to actually study the material and think of creative ways to remember it forever or I guess write the material on a old fashion cheat sheet and wear long sleeves hoping to not get caught.
Excellent point ,by the way, with your acknowledgment of "we had the Encyclopedia, they now have Wikipedia".
Just as there are were Encyclopedias on our shelves growing up, now there is only a keyboard and monitor for the younger generations.
I think the observation must also be made that if it ok for the hundreds of licensed and professional welders that log onto this site daily to ask specific questions about real world welding problems, forums such as this should now be considered a practical and real world tool of the modern day welder.
Perhaps it is better for a new guy to learn of this resource going in and not repeat the mistakes of generations gone by.
My grandpa said it and I catch myself saying it more and more, "these kids sure have it a lot easier than I did growing up" and "when I was your age we did it like this".
I think that as technology continues to improve across the board, we will most certainly loose things proportionally to the rate at which new things are gained.
It looks like the study and reference habits of old are changing with everything else.
I'm sure we have all worked for or around some "big wig" boss that had a wall covered in diplomas and awards but couldn't do the labor of any man on the job site if you held a gun to his head. That is the life of a test taker or someone who can successfully cram for a test and pass it but never bothered to learn.
Also, a welding class is an elective, not a core course so to me, that shows at least a smidgen of interest in the subject.
I think it is totally up to the student what gets left in his head and what just passes on through. I for one wish I had the passion for learning when I was growing up that I have now.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-09-2007 01:06
What got me was the bunk BS "I wanna be welder etc" This person for what ever reason needed questions answered. If the poster had said I am looking for some answers to homework questions and need some help, that is one thing. To use the "Iwanna be a welder answer this for me" irritated me. Also notice after the question was answered the punk did not have the manners to thank the poster.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-09-2007 05:22
I guess what tends to rub Me the wrong way about some of these posts is the lack of interest the person seems to have by just posting the questions like it was MY asignment to complete. I remember a grade school story " Henry Huggins and the homework machine", I guess some people feel that machine is a computer and the internet. I don't have a problem with answering a question if the person seems sincere, and I am judging this by bothering to make complete sentences about the topics, and wanting to know more than just the specific answer to the homework question.
"I don't have all the answers, but I do have all the answer keys" Nelson Muntz from "The Simpsons"
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-09-2007 13:45
All in all I think that we are just allowing the "lazy" people to get by without doing their due-diligence to answer a question. 

When these people enter the workplace next you to and I and have a job to do, they will be in for a rude awakening as to what this industry is about.  I don't expect our workforce to know everything, and will work extra hard for those who seem genuinely interested, but for those individuals that just want an answer so they can get back to surfing the net, I won't give them the time of day.

Most of us here have a job to do based on our knowledge, or ability, or both.  We did not get here by having an answer given to us.  I really think that when something falls in your lap, you don't retain much of that information, but when you have to work to find the answer, much more of that information is retained and helps you grow your knowledge base.

I spend much more time here reading and following things that help me grow my knowledge base, than posting questions that have already been answered by others in days or months past.  Just a simple search across the forum will usually net the information that one might be looking for, and if you still have a question, post a new spin on an old question.  I have the utmost respect for all the true professionals here, and take pride in the professional way most things are discussed. Let's not help the lazy get a free ride.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-09-2007 14:44
My opinion is that if a person is clearly doing research, then pointing out where to look is no big deal.  If the person is looking for answers to test questions, I wouldn't answer them directly - I'd suggest they read their course materials.

Regarding the use of internet - my parents grew up without TV, and only some basic movies at the community movie house. My father was  mechanical engineer so he obviously was able to get by educationally with what was available then.

I remember slide shows, some film strip movies (anyone remember "Primative Pete"?), and very limited TV.  A single, basic analog computer was available only for advanced math students, and today's $1.98 calculators have more functions that that did. 
I remember being "stunned" when my chemistry teacher said it was OK to use slide rules for calcualtions, and calculators were OK too for those few that could afford them (~$300 and they chew up 9V batterise in a couple of hours).  The thought was that you would not have been eligible for chemistry unless you already could perform the math that would be required.

Today's gadget are amazing.  I feel it is OK to take advantage of modern technology for classrooms, research, and etc.  But we should NEVER replace spelling tests with spellcheck, or math skills with calculators and Excel.  Research on the internet is fine, but we still need to learn how to read, and use printed encyclopedia, and know at least a little bit about the Dewey Decimal system.

Doing the work for a student does not help him/her to learn anything.  Pointing to the right direction can.  This may be an extreme point of view but I would hate to contribute to having a diploma handed over to a student that didn't earn it.  It devaluates anything we all have worked for.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-09-2007 15:06
i can not think of a better resource for welding information and answers to questions, along with the very informative dialog to follow. as far as answers for homework, you get out of it what you put into it. a single post of a homework question will most likely not be retained. i find it hard to judge someones intent from a posted question, that seem a little difficult.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-09-2007 18:49
Hi John, good topic.

How about for a "policy", we at first, encourage a new poster to begin by utilizing the search function of the forum website. As we know, but they wouldn't, there a many years of excellent knowledge stored in this site's database that would more than likely contain the answer they are looking for. This would give them the added benefit of seeing related data as well, through researching rather than begging.
Perhaps we could ask Ross to work on the search function controls by making them more user friendly to new members and add text instructions / information.
Then we could encourage the newbie to ask questions for clarification or additions to ongoing topics.

Just my $.02...

Tim
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-09-2007 19:56
Well, sounds like everyone has agreed on steering a young pup asking homework questions in the direction of the right answer instead of flat out telling him the answer.  I think that is a very helpful and will help a person be able to someday find answers on their own.  It will be interesting to watch and see how they try and trick us into giving up the answers once they catch on the crafty little F'ers.lol  This guy was pretty easy to catch, but some might not be so easy when they find out that you will make them search a little for the answers.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-09-2007 20:16
Hey John,

I'm 100% with Tim Gary.

Great topic..!

I do have a proverb hanging on the wall in my study, please see also the attached jpg.

It has been expressed by Carl Friedrich Gauss, as I guess one of the greatest mathematicians ever.

I would like to try to translate into English language - hope it will work :-)

It is not the "to know"
but the "to learn",
It is not the "to have"
but the "to earn",
It is not the to "be in"
but the to "achieve it",
What does afford the greatest
enjoyment.

I love this proverb since it reflects my very own philosophy of busying myself with..? Yes of course "Welding", but with also every other problem to be solved.

I am sure everyone of us knows the extremly good feeling when having worked hard to obtaining something, which wasn't easy to obtain. I myself can sing a song on that since I have taken over a new job within my employers company a short time back.

And yes, it was extremely hard at the beginning and it still continues. It doesn't matter. There's a job have to be done and I'll try my best to do it. Jst as I once have signed my posts:

"Flere non prodest - Labor prodest!" (I have it from my son :-) ) what means (freely translated): "Don't cry - work!"

One of the truly most appreciated fellows I know has said to me at that time (quote): 

"Sounds like you jumped from the frying pan into the fire with your new job promotion. I'm sure it will calm down once you settle in and put out the many small fires that abound in any new job."

And he is right by saying so - at least in my opinion!

For me personally the really worthy things in life have to be obtained by honest endeavor. And Welding - as what it means to me - is the best instance for this statement.

For me it is the deepest satisfaction to think about what "welding" really is, by venturing a look behind the curtain of the "bright blue light" and to - sometimes - finding solutions for tricky problems. First theoretically and finally of course practically.

And I am sure that the most ones of the students who are asking their questions here today for making their daily life apparently "easier" will find the "right path" someday, only by discovering what welding can really be. Much more than passing a test to achieve the next level of education, even true passion and purpose in life.

Please allow to finish my post by quoting a songtext:

"Is simplicity best? Or simply the easiest?
The narrowest path is always the holiest!"

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-09-2007 21:57
John,

From my perspective, there have been some here that clearly state upfront they are doing research for school or a paper. Those people I equate to students who would otherwise be asking questions of a teacher/professor if that teacher/professor had time to answer. For them, it's not a matter of trying to cheat.

Then there are those who come in here asking specific definitions such as the case you pointed out. I equate that to a student coming up to the teacher during a test and asking for the answers. You know by the nature of the questions, the brevity in which they are ask, and the manner of the same that they are just being lazy. Those questions can be answered with 5 minutes of searching wikipedia. Attempts to answer the questions would not be helping the person in the long run, as it is doubtful they understand the content in it's entirety. Therefore they only have half the answer and their education suffers.

my two cents worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-10-2007 05:09
The teachers intent in asking the homework question is that the student has done the reasearch and covered the material, usually in the text that will give the answer. Being given the answer bypasses the greater ammount of learning that is supposed to have taken place. So in the end, it is the student who is shortchanged. The question becomes one of ethics, is it right for Us to help the student shortchange themselves?
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-10-2007 08:34
Dave,

excellent point.

Finally it certainly remains an ethic question...

I have read a great advice coming from Jeff (js55), who has responded this ethic question already quite well, at least as I found, on a post in the "Technical" Section of the forum, where he stated (quote):

"Omer Blodgett's 'Design of Weldments' is one of the best reousrces. Available through  AWS."

I guess this is the right hint to pointing the student in the right direction. Read, learn, try to understand, and keep on asking yourself on what you have not understood, then continue to read, learn, and try to understand.

Even Jeff... brilliantly!

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 11-10-2007 11:41
I grew up with encyclopedias and enjoyed reading through them even when it wasnt homework time.  It was where I turned to for knowledge that I couldnt get elsewhere.   The internet is THE way to get information these days like it or not.  As far as welding or soldering knowledge it will never compare to hands on experience. 

We have many people who aren't "Students" come to this forum looking for insight and answers everyday and most of us profess to still be learning everyday.  Its ok to give some help if you think the individual is just here looking for a quick answer but I would like to make them think and discover the answer for themselves.  Then they truly learn if only for awhile. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2007 16:13
Hello Gentlemen;

I never, well almost never, use the term lightly.

Many of us post on a regular basis and we willingly share what we know with those that take the time to post their questions.

I had several experiences and a thought on this subject that I've used as a basis of answering many student questions. I've had many professors and instructors over the years. There were those that willingly answered questions and tried to steer me toward other resources that provided more insight than the 30 second short form answer they provided. Then there were the few (luckily the minority) that would say, "Figure it out yourself", with no further help or direction provided so that I could help myself. I always questioned whether they knew anything other than what was in the text book they used in their classroom. I avoided any additional classes they taught to the extent I took a required course at a different institution simply because to take another course from that instructor was a waste of time. 

I have been one to always ask questions if I didn't understand a point the professor was trying to make and I expected an answer. I paid for my education out of my own pocket and I was paying that person's salary. I expect more than a simple, "figure it out for yourself."

I've had help from other individuals during my entire career. Who here hasn't? We all ask questions and we appreciate honest meaningful responses from those that are willing to share their knowledge and experience. We are the product of our environment and we represent the sum knowledge we have acquired over the years by asking questions, reading, and our work experience. At a young age I wasn't able to be a contributor, but with time I have been fortunate enough to arrive at the point where I can pass down what I know to younger people. I hope that it is worth their while to read.

At first glance, the individual asking the question appears to be taking the easy way out in asking for our help in answering his or her questions. However, is this any different than asking your mom or dad for help with your homework when you were a youngster? When you asked them for help, did they say read your book and let me watch television (or read the newspaper or listen to the radio)? I was fortunate enough to have parents that would help me. The manner in which they helped was one of fostering me to help me find the answer. We had a set of encyclopedias that was a major investment for my parents. I remember the door to door salesman that came to the house selling those books of knowledge and the discussions of how my father would pay for those books.

When I had a question that I couldn't answer, my father would review the information in the text with me and help me locate the information I needed. If that wasn't sufficient, he would pull out one of the heavy volumes from the set of encyclopedias and we would look through the index to find the volume that contained the information I was looking for. I remember some of the homework questions my teachers gave me were intended to force us to use different references. That in itself was a learning experience. With my parents help, I learned to look up information without their assistance.

Today the youngsters have the internet as a resource. We are a resource. How we reply to the questions posted by other tradesmen or youngsters will determine whether they come back for help and learn from us or go elsewhere. Many children today aren't blessed with a home with two parents. For some, we are the surrogate parents. What kind of parent do we want to be; helpful or dismissive?

I like some of the approaches mentioned by several of you, such as, a brief answer and a reference where they can find additional authoritive information. I don't support the few respondents that think the youngster is simply cheating and trying to find the easy way out. That may be the case, but it isn't going to help by figuratively "slapping the kid alongside the head" and telling them to go figure it out for them self.

We have the intelligence to figure out which individuals are simply doing their homework and are looking for easy answers. However, when we answer their questions we are helping them to learning two additional skills. The first one is writing skills and the second is reading skills. The fact that they post their questions and read our replies is reinforcing those skills. Maybe one thing that we can do is ask them to rewrite the question and do a spelling check as my friend Joe Kane often tells us to do. He isn't being critical of us asking the question; he just wants us to improve our writing skills. I always try to do a spell check so I don't get slapped along the side of my head from Joe. See Joe, I do listen to you.

Writing and spelling are difficult for some people to master. I should know, I got a "D" in English while I was at Ohio State University in my early years. My daughter, while she was in Junior High School, used to read my inspection reports and check my spelling before I sent them to my clients. For years, an English textbook I used for one of my courses was a few inches from my finger tips. I still remember the title, "Plain Rhetoric Please". I lost it during one of our many moves and have missed it ever since. I learned as much from my daughter about writing as I did from all those English teachers I had.

To end my rant, I see nothing wrong in helping anyone willing to take the time to post a question. The manner in which we chose to respond can either encourage learning or discourage the person asking the question from coming back for our help. I would rather see them come back every evening for our help and help them to learn the joy of learning.

It's good to be home again, even if it is for one day.

Lawrence and Stephan, see you in Chicago on Sunday (tomorrow) and anyone that will be at the show, I hope we bump into each other. Drop me an email if you are interested in getting together.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-10-2007 16:58
Hey Gents,
I guess Al(803056) really summed up all my thoughts in his post and I agree. I believe the initial question posed with the wording that was used was an indicator to the query. I believe that a direction to find an answer is ok and will make the individual do a bit of their own homework. An outright explanation affords the individual nothing to the learning/research process. In addition to Al's comment regarding the use and comprehension of our English language, I know, for myself, I used to get a bit perturbed at the atrocious spelling in many posts. I just felt it best to "bite my tongue" and not engage in any demeaning response. I can only surmise that even though an individual's grammar may be lacking, their intent and desire to find an answer or solution gave credence to wanting to learn. I feel that an equitable solution can be acquired if the parameters are established we would all be willing to follow.....Denny
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-10-2007 17:34
Al, I do not have any objections to someone comming to this site asking questions. Even for homework. And I did not respond to the answer until the next day. What irritated me was the way the question was asked and after being answered, the lack of thanks. No explanation of how thequestions were to be used, what the  context was, nothing. While you may object, I still say this was a punk with poor manners. A true student seeking knowledge should always be helped. Ungrateful punks should be slapped against the head.
But that is just my opinion.
BABRT's
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2007 20:21
It's your honest opinion based on fact of this incident, but I don't believe you will base whether to respond or to ignor future requests for help on the actions or inactions of this one individual.

There's no argument from me on your points and I agree with your observations.

A ungrateful whelp gets no additional help if the help given isn't appreciated. Sometimes immaturity is a part of growing up. No replies to future requests for help from this individual is the lesson learned.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Stickboy (*) Date 11-11-2007 01:21
I have a neighbor that went to school, part of it was heating and cooling, and after reading the book, and asking the instructor for some explanation and not getting any help, he came to me. In a case like that, I enjoyed helping, and he expressed thanks for the assistance. This guy seems like he's not trying, or he would have said he didn't understand and wanted some clarification. When he hits the field he will find out he messed up, if he graduates.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2007 16:05
Al!
I coud'nt have said it better myself friend!!!
Excellent observations!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Post your thoughts about helping students w/ homework here