Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / So i bought the ANSI/SIA A92.2 -2001 code for aerial ladders
- - By Kix (****) Date 11-09-2007 15:30
  Sorry I started a new thread because some of you heavy hitters probably aren't following my old thread anymore. lol  Some of you may remember my thread about what code to use for our ladders.   In that thread I said using D1.1 wasn't really an option due to it's scope of intended use of materials 1/8" and up.  Our ladders material cosists of tubes, square tubes and sheet metal thinner than a 1/8".  Well, I was referred to this code ANSI/SIA A92.2-2001 for vehicle mounted elevating and rotating aerial devices witch sounded like it would be a good code to follow.  Well, under welding in this code it says to use AWS D1.1 and D1.2. lol  So now $45.00 later I'm back to square one.  I'm thinking i might just go with D1.1 and if anyone says anything i will bring out the verbage of should and shall. ;-) Any thoughts you guys?

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-10-2007 17:28 Edited 11-10-2007 17:35
Actually, thats not a waste of money. It tells you specifically what to use and is your relevant code back up. If anyone says anything refer them to A92 where it tells you to use it and proceed with D1.1. I would say your not back to square one as you now have a relevant standard that makes the matter clear cut. As noted in the other thread "the requirements of AWS D1.3, Structural Welding Code--Sheet Steel, "should" apply. Your relevant standard says use D1.1 (assuming steel) D1.1 says Should not shall. Given the nature of the beast, A92 is specific to purpose, and it's telling you to use D1.1. In light of that, and the should vs. shall, I don't see that you have a problem anymore.
45 bucks is a cheap price for being able to state "due diligence" performed.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2007 22:07
Basically the standard you purchased is giving you "permission" to apply the requirements of AWS D1.X to the thinner materials to the extent they address the fabrication needs of your product.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2007 16:37
Nope!
Because now you've got it on PAPER!!!
Now you have clarification to your or anyone else's same or similar question in another code.

" Tick - Tack - Toe!!! That's how you CYA ;) Btw, making any trucks for the NYFD???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-11-2007 21:58
Oh yeah FDNY is one of our biggest customers.  I'd say most of their fleet is all Seagrave.  Have you seen that movie "I no pronounce you Chuck and Larry"?  They are 2 FDNY fire fighters and the trucks are all Seagrave. lol
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2007 23:52
Hi Kix!

One of my first jobs after I left Electric Boat was with American La France working on their 1981 - 82 pumper trucks... We were doing warranty repairs on the infamous 304L stainless 500, 750, and 1000 gallon pumper booster tanks, and all of the other components that make up a truck.

What a fun job that was!!! Too long to talk about but, nonetheless - a real blast!!! Too many stories for me to share with you'll right now but, when I get better, I'll share some :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / So i bought the ANSI/SIA A92.2 -2001 code for aerial ladders