Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe liner's BBQ Pit
- - By Steven DeMars (*) Date 11-09-2007 03:51
Hello !

While working in the oil fields in Kern County I noticed a lot of the single handed weldors had a neat little BBQ pit on the back of their rigs. Would really like to find someone that is making these or some hints and tips how to make my own. Design ideas welcomes . . . pipe sizes, materials, etc . . . They appear to be basically a piece of pipe, two caps . . . Some seem to be fancier than others . . . .

I recently completed a basic welding class. At 53, learning to weld is somewhat of a challenge. I now have a very healthy respect for someone that can really weld well. I never realized how hard that "stack of dimes" was to come by. I can do alright with MIG . . . Stick ain't for "sissies" . . .  TIG, weld thats pretty much one of those some day things . . .

My intention is to build some of those little pits as gifts for family members. Might say something that will be around a long time.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-09-2007 04:27
Steven,

Here is a picture of one of mine, a very basic model made from 8" or 10" pipe.  It's mounted on my X-Ray truck .....  but it was made by a pipeliner

This was taken around 1978 on a pipeline job in Montana.  Note the vent adjustment is made from the backer from grinding disc's.  Some of the welders had really fancy ones with coped ends.  We cooked on these things most everyday.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By Steven DeMars (*) Date 11-09-2007 04:30
Thank you . . . .
Steve
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2007 04:49
thirdeye, you've really got to be careful about posting pictures of chicken on the barby along with a michelob, I just about shut down class and went home to do some cookin of my own. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-09-2007 14:14
aevald,

I figured someone with a keen eye would notice that.  In the 30 years since that photo was taken both my photography and my barbecue skills have improved greatly.  I gave up pipeline radiography years ago and now do mostly shop inspection work.  The funny is, I still take food into work ..... Hmmmm, maybe that's why I'm on such good terms with welders.

As a hobby I maintain a barbecue recipe blog.  If you are into that kind of eats, check it out here.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2007 15:07
Okay thirdeye, now you're really torturing me and a bunch of others I'm sure. I will be sure to check that out when I get a little more time. I am rather fortunate, in the area that I live there are bountiful fish, seafood, and wild game. I have students bringing various foods and such all of the time for the class so I get to try a host of different and tasty treats. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-09-2007 15:13
Agreed

I believe the moderators should punish thirdeye

I can almost smell it I think.

Topicaltastetorture
Parent - By ross (***) Date 11-09-2007 15:49
Thirdeye, this is your last warning. Any more lascivious pictures and you'll be banned and your chicken quarters will be confiscated.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Steven DeMars (*) Date 11-09-2007 16:20
Anyone else got any info, suggestions (pipe size, componets to include), pictures . . . I'm really sick of seeing this Walmart Junk for small BBQ Pits . . . . I recently bought an all stainless steel "small" BBQ pit . . . . guess what, it came from China . . . beer cans were better made when I was a kid than this thing @ $185.00!

Really want to build something that screams "I'm American Made & Will Last Forever" . . . . kind of like my SCAG Mower . . .  no doubt when you look at it, you know it was "Made in America"

Please more pipeline BBQ pit info . . . . I have been unable to find anything on the net .  . .
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-10-2007 05:20
I had a Dikenson "SeaBQ" on My sailboat. It was nicely made, in USA or Canada I think. It coroded apart inside after a while, but it lasted pretty well considering it's environment.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-11-2007 01:12
i will post pics tomorrow. mine is out of 10". i think 8 " is too small and 12" is too big for the small area i have to use on my truck. 10" dia. 16" long
Parent - - By Steven DeMars (*) Date 11-11-2007 03:26
Thanks in advance . . . very much . . .
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-12-2007 07:23
I made 1 for my bro inlaw last yr for a xmas gift i used 10'' casing 18'' long from a drilling rig 1 1/2'' pipe for exhaust and used 1 1/2'' square tubing so he could slide into his reciever hitch it has a hinged clean out door on 1 side and a vent door on the other he loves it i painted it flat black and he took it home and painted flames on it i used chain links off of an old tool from the same rig for the hinges on the lid and doors funny thing is when i got to the rig that day i had about 30 mins of work to do and the lead welder called me and told me to take my time we were out of work so i did my repairs and talked with the pusher he had 1 of the hands round up the material for me i pulled over behind a frat tank and built it on location so i could make 1 more day of course i had to make the pusher 1 too it was quite a bit of work doing them if i were to make 1 and sell it i wouldnt do it for less than 200.00 sorry cant send ya any pics i didnt get any of it i had never seen one done or ever really looked at 1 i just used my imagination and the material i had to deal with i think i used 5/8'' sucker rod for the grill supports and expanded metal for the grill he likes it so much he wont use it in fear of rotting it out lol the casing has 1/2'' thick walls on it
Parent - By samh (**) Date 11-12-2007 17:57
I have one made out of ten inch .188 wall pipe. I made a bull plug so both ends are rounded no need in it just looks good. Have clean outs on both sides that i also use as air vents and a 2" stack. Works pretty good  
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-14-2007 19:59 Edited 11-15-2007 12:49
Here are some pics of one I company is making here in OKC. These are constructed of 10" pipe. This is the floor model and thats a Victor Journeyman up next to it. They don't make them any taller only longer.
Attachment: BBQ_rig-pit.bmp (284k)
Attachment: BBQ_rig-pit1.bmp (192k)
Attachment: BBQ-rig-pit2.bmp (215k)
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-14-2007 22:34
I saw a neat one made out of large cast iron truck brake drums.  The center hub hole was filled and the lug holes left open for ventilation.  The top was also from a similar brake drum with an adjustable smoke damper in the center hub hole.  The top was hinged but I don't remember the details.  He also had a neat way to make the circular grill adjustable for height by rotating in on a center screw.  (The center screw was sleeved to keep the threads out of the ashes.)  The guy said the big advantage of this setup was the large mass of the thing which kept the heat modulated and constant.  It was pretty heavy but should last forever.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe liner's BBQ Pit