Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / g3,g4 minimum qualification
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-11-2007 22:47
i found this in a job description on road tech can anyone tell me what this means i looked on the aws site for them and cant find them anywhere
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-11-2007 23:45
Hello Shad, the g3 refers to a groove weld in the vertical position and the g4 refers to a groove weld in the overhead position. Does the ad specify whether it is a limited or unlimited test as well? If it says limited the test is probably on 3/8" material and if it says unlimited it is likely a 1" plate test. There could be other information included as well with regards to open-root or use of a backing and possibly other choices for inclusion or limitation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-11-2007 23:56
heres the add as it reads i'm guessing 3/8's plate huh? [$$$] WELDER - HCS November 09, 2007 at 10:28:55
Welder needs to be able to pass G3, G4 test minimum qualification. Should be able to two hole and air arc. Candidate must have all their own equipment and be able to pass drug test. ...
http://www.roadtechs.com/petro/wwwboard/getpost.php?rec_nbr=49532
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-12-2007 00:49
Hello again Shad, the 2 hole is generally a part of the pipe trade and refers to pipe flanges. That would lead me to believe that this individual is referring to something other than a plate test in the vertical and overhead position. Or else this is an ad for some form of pressure vessel or tank work where they generally weld a lot of plate to build the tanks and provide the first flange out on connection piping, usually considered a boilermaker. Just a thought. You might want to email them and see about getting more of the specifics. Regards, Allan
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-12-2007 02:26
3G is up hill and 4G is over head both have 5p root and 7018 feel and cap
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-12-2007 05:11
yeah i know the 2 hole part and i have my own arc gouging rig was jus curious bout the 3 n 4 i always heard of the 6g or 5 g test but never g3 or g4 dont really matter i cant go anyway my wife is scared to go to dr's with ryder so i take time off my side work to go with him i heard theres a pipeline job fixin to go thru lake charles la have ya heard nething on that it would be about 8 hrs from the house couldnt drive it back n forth but i could be home soon if need be
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-12-2007 05:53
there is lots of work near texas city. i think exxon is puting a compressor station near pasidena...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / g3,g4 minimum qualification