Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about the SA-200's
- - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-10-2007 23:36
Well, I've been following the threads you folks post for about 4 months now and I want to congratulate all of you on the professional and mature level that these conversations are kept at. Even when feathers get ruffled the guys on this site stay on course. I just upgraded to a Ranger 10,000 plus. I chose this machine because it will run the bear essentials of my house in the event of a power outage as well as serve my welding needs. My question is why do most of you fellas run the SA-200's, etc. instead of a machine similar to mine? 

I also have a SA-225 with an Onan twin, it is an old DC only machine. I must say that it burns 1/8 7018 most excellently. Is it the DC only characteristic that makes these welders so appealing?

I've taken night school classes to put some knowledge behind my ability to weld and have passed tests that qualify me to weld structural steel in all positions to 3/4". The test was administered by a CWI but it was not in an accredited testing facility (bummer). Sadly, because I didn't know about this requirement, I didn't get a card from the AWS.

All this being said, I've still got a lot to learn and would really appreciate your answers. It's the little things like this that you can't learn in school.  Thanks in advance, Jon
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-11-2007 01:02
i have both machines,(sa 200 and Ranger GXT). Most pipeline companies wont let an air cooled machine on the job. Welding bosses refer to the Ranger 10,000 or GXT as "cracker boxes". Also, the 2 cylinder machines wont hold up welding 5/32 or 3/16 Jet(7024) day in or day out.  That is why I have a SA 200 for those reasons. Right now, im welding on a commercial feedlot. We are building 25000 ft of pipe fence and im using both of my Ranger GXT's.  They work just fine for that. I agree with you on the generating capabilities, too.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-11-2007 04:43
I just like hearing the old 200's bark with a straight pipe. woot!woot!
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 01:24
yea man,i love that sound to.when im welding i catch myself listening to the machine.
Parent - - By SandhillsLobo Date 11-12-2007 02:04
It's just my humble opinion, but no one has made a machine that compares with the arc characterisics of the SA-200. Mine will stack beads with 3/16 rods all day long without any complaint. It is without a doubt the smoothest arc I have ever had the pleasure to run. The major benefit of the SA's is the industrial engine they put in them. They are almost infinitley rebuildable, and require almost no major attention other than daily checks. Just ain't nothin' like that ol' Continental with the straightpipe talkin' loud!
Parent - - By mooseye (**) Date 11-12-2007 02:33
You show got that rite!!!
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-12-2007 15:20
So if a fella was going to  buy one of these welders what do you look for? What kind of problems and maintenance can an owner of one of these machines expect to deal with over the course of it's service life? Short answers are ok, then I can take that info and do a more detailed search.
Parent - - By SandhillsLobo Date 11-15-2007 02:46
The best advice I can give is that buying a used welder is just like buying a used car. The general appearance of the machine is often a good indication of how it was taken care of. Open the doors, look at the engine, check for signs of major oil leaks (these old engines will often show some small seepage, nothing to be greatly alarmed about). If the engine isn't covered in grease and oil, chances are it's been maintained reasonably well. Start it, run it, give it a workout and see if it stumbles or falls on it's face. The best ones have an all copper wound generator. You will know it by the shape of the generator housing (round). Mine is a '72 and has some aluminum in the windings. Not a problem, you just lose a little heat during the day if you're working it hard. Also see if it has an idler upgrade(older models-after '72 they fixed the idler issue so you didn't have to pin the throttle rod open to use the aux receptacle for grinders, etc.). There are various upgrades for the idler out there, but I prefer the Lincoln O.E.M. version. Maintenance is not a tremendous issue, new spark plugs once a year, change oil every 100 to 150 hours, you're good to go. At some point you will have to replace brushes in the exciter and generator, but they are fairly easy to work on. Someone else may pop in here with some other ideas, but that just about gets the basics.

Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-15-2007 06:11
you forgot to mention to change the oil in the air breather every 50 hours if the conditions are very dusty and if not jus keep an eye on it bout once a week in the oil field change it once a week
Parent - - By crenshawjm (*) Date 11-16-2007 00:57
oh and my intrustor told me when i asked him about one, He said " check the bearings in the Generator" be sure there is not too much play, or it will get expensive. look at the communtator (forgive my spelling) so signs of rubbing, that would be a indication of bearing wear, and loose motion. my boss wants to trade to me his SA200 for my Hobart Champ 10K, he wants the AC benefit. that his SA 200 don't have. so i am weighing that pretty heavy.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 11-19-2007 03:50
in a heart beat!
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 11-19-2007 13:53
The cost to change out the armature bearing on an SA200 runs about $300.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about the SA-200's