Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / To Sourdough,Downhandonly and/or other pipe welders
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-13-2007 04:59
I have been welding in the oilfields for many years now,and just recently had the opportunity to do all the welding in a facility hookup. Great work considering that all material is new, different from drilling rig work and the maintenance welding I do for small companies in my area.I really enjoyed this work and it is good money.I have a couple of questions. In my area welding rates are about $70-$80/hour but the roustabout service company I was working with said for this work I should be charging $100/hour being that I am certified. For this type of work is that the norm to charge more if certified? Also one thing I was uncomfortable with was the fact that they had me work in the rain and during quite windy conditions. My number one concern is porosity. I was getting some,and I would just grind it out and continue,but I wondered how much I could have missed. We tried to shield the rain and wind but is not always possible. I told them it is not good practice to weld in these conditions. All pipe outside the dikes was welded. It was a two well hookup and one well had an H2S content of 100,000ppm, yes 10% H2S. None of the welds were x-rayed. What do you do in rainy and windy conditions? I know the best thing is a shack,but that is not always possible. I have heard some guys will not do critical welds in the rain and where the wind is over 10mph. Thanks for your response.
Parent - - By SPARKYCA (**) Date 11-14-2007 00:55
Today the winds here in Sask. were 80-100km/hr - I got up, packed a lunch and  stayed home.  The Construction Supt's. orders .  In my opinion,  when you start having trouble with porosity etc. or inspection picks up repairs on the welds it's time to rack er up and head home. Unless of course you are repairing a friends farm machinery - he he
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 11-14-2007 01:05
Sparkyca, Man just saying Sask,sounds cold never mind the wind good on ya for packing the lunch I would have cracked a beer- well maybe after coffee.
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-14-2007 03:12
pipeline or facility, rain=go home. wind=windboard. rig kinda stuff rain=umbrella or tarps wind=suffer. fabbing pipe in the rain is not cool. could you live with yourself if one of your welds failed because you welded it in the rain because "you had no choice" and someone died from sour gas? we had that wind in Edmonton today and they wanted me to fab 4"xx for the choke lines running from the bop to the manifold shack and I said "not out here pal" and they were more than happy to let me set up in their shop.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-14-2007 04:44
in the wind, rain, sleet, snow, or shunshine all the outfits i work for just want the rig up and running they dont really care about you or for that matter the hands on the rig floor just get it in the ground and turning right carry an umbrella with you 2 if it make you feel better hell i've welded well heads on in the rain w a holy tarp over me to keep the wetness down 6 hours later and no leaks got my ticket signed and went to the house. to get called back 2 days later for a crack in the used casing they had me put the new head on bad craftsmanship no not at all i just did what the co. man wanted at 3 in the am you dont argue with the co. man you had to wake up when u got there so he could see u were there like the nike commercial says just do it as for charging more for being certified i wouldnt know about that each contractor is different now if you carry your own insurance and bonds and certs well then by all means if they'll pay 100 an hr go for it if i may ask where is it that you live where you are getting 70-80 an hr i practically have to beg to get 45
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 11-14-2007 05:18 Edited 11-14-2007 05:26
Usually if the company cares about its quality control they have no arguement with you needing good conditions. For me as an independant contractor, like downhand said, code work does not happen in wet, windy or any of the conditions you mentioned unless they want to be spending more money comming back to fix the junk that the radiograph finds. As an independant contractor they wnt all my certs and insurance 99% of the time wether its structural, wellheads, aluminum/stainless pipe, hot taps or their own personal doomsday device they're paying what its worth and thats generally around 75 to 100/ hr. Dont cut any slack by feeling guilty! You paid your dues and passed all your testing and you know damn well how to do your job right THE FIRST TIME! I cant tell you how many times I go out and fix some hack's junk and by the time I finish the job they paid close to 125 to 150/hr instead of 75 to 100/hr for doing it right the first time. If they dont want to pay what your worth forget them. Let some other poor fellow go broke doing that job. You just keep doing a professional job and you wont have anyproblem keeping work, Trust Me! You will find that different types of work will require a different miondset on conditions, Rig work means geter' done yesterday. Pipe fab in the rain is generally frowned upon. I dunno what this company in your case was thinking but I might steer clear of them in the future cause it may be good dough but it aint worth getting a bad rep over and accident or failure in your product. Im not saying that that is going to happen but jeez be careful bro!
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-14-2007 05:46
Working on drilling rigs rain and wind does not bother me as much because I know this work needs to be done yesterday. Wellheads I realize are critical but the pressure check takes care of that concern. And I realize if a person does not want to work in these conditions on a drilling rig that will be the last time he will be there. But the facility hookup with the especially high H2S is what bothers me. Most of my work is around sour wells. As for location I am in east central Michigan. Michigan`s oil industry in no way compares with the huge oil business, and then there are not as many welders here either. As for my rates I try to stay slightly lower than others in the business. Thanks.
Parent - - By jim parker (**) Date 11-28-2007 12:42
A little off topic,sorry, Nmwelding I'm from northern michigan! do you know of any work thier? Ive been in arkansas and would like to find some work in my home state!
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-30-2007 01:55 Edited 11-30-2007 02:10
Jim Parker
Actually I have just about enough work to keep me busy, 95% oilfield work. But in October I got hooked up with a company doing a facility hookup about a mile from my home. Was great work,all new pipe and whatever other material was used was new. In my work,most of the time this is not the case. Not sure what kind of work you do,but this facility hookup involved 1,2,and 3 inch diameter pipe welding,fabbing up pipe stands or supports and whatever else that may need welding. Anyway they asked me if I was interested in working with them,and I said yes,but I really did not know if I could handle the additional work along with my current customers. Even though it involves some traveling,[the way they talked they work mainly in central and southern Michigan] it would be closer than Arkansas. I will e-mail you with the info of this company,it is just a four man crew that does all the tank setting and plumbing involved in hooking up a facility. They just need a welder with his own rig to do whatever welding is necessary on these hookups. They told me it is hard to find a good welder because all are busy in the oilfields,and farmer welders are not good enough.[I think they used one for awhile]. Anyway it might be worth a try to contact them to see if they could keep you busy. Oh,yes,they are great to work with. One other thing you would not work for them,you would be working for whatever company they are working for at the time. When the job is complete you would have the owner of the company sign the invoice and then you would send it to the appropriate oil company.You would charge your going rate,still working for yourself. Thanks.
Parent - By jim parker (**) Date 11-30-2007 13:16
NMWELDING  thanks for the info! Ive got my own rig! Ive done ficility work and built stands and gates repaired mud tanks welded lots and lots of 2inch! caped wells and built lots of risers.   I grew up 45min south of the Mac. bridge. My Father and I did lots of this work in the northern area then it dried up! He retired and I hit the road! 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-30-2007 02:33
It's field welding......no guarantees! Porosity is a huge problem when the wind starts in. Rain, forget it unless you have a bunch of hands with weed burners and plastic sacks - which sometimes happens.

Wind and rain.....?

Stay home and get on aws forum and start some static.........
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-30-2007 18:13
The only downside was as Sourdough said,wind and rain. Most of the time the weather may be good,but you can have times when rain and wind can be day after day,and they tend to work in the rain unless it is a little on the heavy side. The wind we tried to shield it as much as possible. Don`t get me wrong I enjoyed this work,but wind and rain are the only drawbacks as I mentioned in one of my above posts. In many aspects of oilfield work as many here know,a person works through the wind and rain,but the job I was on to me was especially critical because of the extremely high H2S content. Jim,I e-mailed you with some of the company info,but one other thing I forgot to mention is there is a $90 per diem per day allowed when out of town. That is what the roustabout company owner told me. Thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / To Sourdough,Downhandonly and/or other pipe welders