Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Michigan Deer Season
- - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-13-2007 18:54
Well, it's finally here. 

November 15th in Michigan marks the opening of our firearm deer season.  I will now take that annual 2 week vacation and venture up north to deer camp and go sit in the thickest cedar swamp in the middle of nowhere and let the rest of the world pass by for a few weeks.  I look forward to this for the entire year, it's the only vacation I take longer than a 3 day weekend.  It's "my" time to unwind and reflect on the past year and make my goals for the year coming up.  Twelve days of sitting against a tree and becoming one with nature with nothing to do but sit all day and have a few beers at night.  I'm leaving after work tomorrow, but I've already checked out :)

You all take care and have a good Thanksgiving holiday.  Hopefully I'll be able to post the pictures of my trophy when I get back, but if not that's no big deal I'll have fun either way!
Mark
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 11-14-2007 04:47
If you don't get your trophy there then you are certainly welcome to get one in my front yard to save me from yet once again fixing the deer fencing around my trees.  Every year these things just get bigger (deer) so my tree fences have to get taller and stronger.  BTW, When is the season to hunt deer with your welding rig?  Bounced a six point last night off my front bumper two doors down from my house at 15 mph.  Go figure!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-14-2007 05:56
THATS A SPECIAL SEASON AND WOULD REQUIRE A SPECIAL TAG WITH AN FBI BACK GROUND CHECK DRUG TESTING AND A DNA TEST ON THE DEER TO MAKE SURE IT CAME FROM YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD LOL
Parent - By ross (***) Date 11-14-2007 13:32
Thanks for the great laugh, Shad. Made my day!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-14-2007 17:45
Don't forget the chemical analysis of the paint scraps on the hood.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-15-2007 05:50
no telling how many trucks they painted that color that day chemical analysis wont be any good but did ya slam on the brakes i'll need a cast of your tire tread to verify your vehicle. were you drinking at the time,can you say involuntary animal slaughter, or pre meditated butcher  most important of all were there any witnesses did any other deer see you run over their brother cousin, uncle, brother ,dad, nephew hmmmmmmm that deer maybe 1 all in the same you dont live in arkansas do you lmao the laws are different there lol thanks for this post gerald this is fun no offense meant of course i worked with a guy that shot a 12 point buck out of the world of sports parking lot in san antonio it had a red bow with a bell around it's neack and was missing 1 eye the next week in the lost and found adds in the news paper there was an add missing 1 12 point buck with red bow and bell around neck and missing 1 eye if seen please call reward we laughed for an hour over that
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-15-2007 16:15
caste the tire tracks? LOL Life member of PETA here. People eating tasty animals
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-15-2007 19:44
AMEN do ya have any of the back strps left from it cause if i know any better you stopped picked it up took it home skinned quartered it and stuck it in the freezer whens the BBQ
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-15-2007 22:34
Naw, last one I ran over was in lynchburg Va. Lynchburg as a program where they confiscate roadkill.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-28-2007 13:36
Not a trophy year, but it was good none the less

It was a good season, took 2 of them out.  6 point 155 pounds hanging, and 8 point 125 pounds hanging.  1 was only 60 yard shot on the thick ceader swamps, and the other was 120 yards in the hardwoods.  Great time with all of the hunting buddies, and great time in the woods.  Now it's time to get back to work and make up for 2 weeks off, that's alwasy fun :(
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-28-2007 00:10
Here are a couple of pics of the one I harvested this year. 11 points, 19 1/8" spread. He weighed only 173#'s but the taxidermist figured he must have wieghed well ovver 225 before the rut started. The tallest tines were the G3"s at 10". They figure he will score 155 typical.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-28-2007 05:07
That is a big rack! :-)
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-02-2008 11:37
Wow Mike, that's a dandy!!
I know they grow them big in Wis.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-02-2008 18:34 Edited 01-03-2008 02:59
Thank you.

Yea, it only took 41 years for me to see one in the setting that afforded me an oppurtunity to harvest an exceptional aninmal like this.

Have a great day ! ! !

Mike

Oh by the way, he really isn't hungry and eating his own leg. My son harvested a doe and we had both of them on the carrier. I should have paid more attention and moved it. Sorry if anyone was offended by this pic
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Michigan Deer Season