Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 201 STAINLESS VS 304
- - By starfinderz (*) Date 11-15-2007 17:39
Would welding 201 stainless be any different than 304?Are there any special issues to be aware of?
            Thanks,
               Scotty
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-16-2007 16:48
From the welders perspective there would be no difference. Its still an austenitic and to be welded with similar regimes. Doa search in the forum and oyu might find some posts by chuck Meadows onthsi alloy.
201 has Mn and N to replace Ni in order to maintain the austenitic microstructure. Be aware of the higher carbon and the possibility of sensitization if thats an issue for your intended service, which it probably isn't since 201 to my knowledge 201 is generally specified more for its mechanicals than its corrosion properties, though corrosion is still clearly an issue or a SS wouldn't be spec't at all, I would think.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-16-2007 17:02
You are right js55 I did a search yesterday on Google and one of Chuck Meadows post on this subject came up.

Milton Gravitt
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-16-2007 21:21
I hope AWS is keeping this forum backed up, it would be a shame to lose the wisdom departed by the late Mr. Meadows. Even after passing he's helping. Ross lets not take a chance on losing that wisdom.

Respecfully,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 201 STAINLESS VS 304