Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 with inverter Tig machine
- - By devo (***) Date 11-17-2007 15:03
I own a Lincoln V-205T Tig machine(about a year old) and a job just came up that needed some SMAW.  I tried to use 6010 (5P) and the arc just kept going out.  Now I am no pipe weldor, but I do have my D1.1 cert for SMAW and have run a bit of 6010, but I felt like it was my first day with this thing.  Strangely, 6011 seemed to run much better.  Anyone out there have experience with this machine and 6010?  Now for the particulars.  1/8" 6010 (5P) 85 amps flat position 1/4" plate. Hot start   @80%  arc force @ 30%(factory defaults) whip technique.  The Lincoln literature states that this machine is "optimized for 6010 and 7018".  I have three ideas. 1.  I suck at stick welding and should go back to school.  2. My machine is malfunctioning. 3. The machine is only set up to do open root welding with 6010 and I shouldn't try to whip.  All three of these sound weak (well, maybe not the first one) but I am confused.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-17-2007 15:27
Each inverter power supply type has it's own personality. But at a rule of thumb I think you will find that setting the Arc Control (Arc Force) more toward the maximum will help your 5p from extinguishing.

The Arc Force control increases power when the voltage becomes low (caused by very short arc length).

With the Arc force set at max I would think that once an arc was struck you would be able do drive your 5p straight through 3/8 plate.

E7018 unlike E6010 prefers arc force settings closer to the bottom of the scale.

Give it a try and let us know what you discover.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 11-18-2007 18:31
Well about four pounds of 5P later, I am not much better off than I was.  I have tried adjusting the arc force all the way up and down in 5% increments and no real difference.  The problem seems to be when I come out of the puddle.  Even if I just try and run a stringer and no whip I still have trouble maintaining the arc.  Again, with 6011 the performance is normal, whip or drag.  7018 runs beautifully.  6013 no problem.  My only reason to even run 6010 vs. 6011 is the slag removal is so much nicer on 6010.  Maybe I should just take a hint...
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-19-2007 01:15
Another thing comes to mind.

A distributer once told me that 5P+ runs better than red rod with inverters.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-19-2007 01:30
Something is not right because if it's running those other rods with no problems then it should run the 6010 with no probs.  85 amps sounds like a good ballpark setting for the 1/8" 5p.  What polarity are you running the 5p on?  Remember that you need to keep an arc length of about an 1/8"(no more then the diameter of the rod) between the work piece and the tip of the rod.  If this doesn't help then i would say it's ok to blame the machine.  Sometimes it really is the machine.;-)
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-19-2007 02:54
My Maxstar 150 does not like 6010 either.  It was a standard complaint from what I understand. No problem with 6011, 6013, 7014, 7024 or 309L.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 11-19-2007 14:41
Lincoln does not recommend the 5P with their inverters. They recommend the 6011's or 5P+ or their new 6P+ 6010s. The problem is too vertical a volt amp curve on their weld output. Increase (whip and pause) the arc length the amperage stays the same and the voltage increases. The arc force only becomes a factor below 20 or so arc volts. That means to see the effects or arc force requires a very tight/short arc. Long arc = high voltage = no arc force.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 11-25-2007 00:15
Thank you for your enlightening reply.  I was dreading that my three grand machine was malfunctioning, and  my ego is way to fragile to admit I am anything but the BEST weldor ever(yeah right).  I emailed Lincoln and asked their advice, no reply so far, but I have heard from three different sources now that the old 5P isn't recommended for this style of machine.  Unfortunately the 5P+ only comes in 10# cans, and I don't do quite enough SMAW to justify the expense.  On the other hand, my skills still need a lot of work so maybe I should suck it up.  Thank you again oh illuminated masters of the electric arc, your wisdom is humbling.
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 11-25-2007 02:03
Hi 6010 users.  Don't feel bad because your inverter doesn't perform well with 6010.
Well, i have one Thermydyne in the shop that's was purchase mainly for pulsed mig. Guess what, it can't run
a 6010 either.  I called the manufacture about the situation and he informed me it is because of the flux on the 6010.
6011 or 7018 no problem.
So for those of you, who are going to purchase a new welding machine, make sure it will operate with a 6010,
if that's what you want it to do.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 12-02-2007 02:30
Your Lincoln V-205T was redesigned and the new version released last april-may. One of the improvements is it will now run 6010 good! The new version also has sinewave and triangular wave output.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e3110.pdf
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-02-2007 04:23
Sine wave and triangular wave.... Thats funny stuff...  Miller has done the same with the Dynasty 350

Sine wave is what they have been trying to get away from since 1975 and triangular wave has absolutly no benefit for manual GTAW... In fact if you turn the current up it will actually cut thin aluminum in two.

Yet they complicate the power supplies with this stuff and charge extra for the service...

Whistles and bells.
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 12-02-2007 15:40
If you want the best inverter, you buy Fronius..... Not Miller.!
Parent - By devo (***) Date 12-02-2007 16:21
A quote from a Lincoln Electric welding instructor, "The triangular waveform is useless.  It's there because the engineers wanted it."  This feature is also on my machine, so I guess Lincoln decided if they put it in the slick marketing brochure it would sell more welders?  The old brochure also stated that it was "optimized for 5P".  As well as Lincolns machines work, their literature needs more rigorous editing.  For instance, in their Procedure Handbook, they recommend a 3/16" 6012 electrode for a fillet weld on 10 ga. steel.  This chart has been reprinted in this book and other brochures I have come across.  There are others, but I need to get back to work......
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 with inverter Tig machine