Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding API 5L X-52 to API 5CT K55
- - By b777300 Date 10-21-2007 10:29
I have also asked this question in eng-tips before I "discovered" this forum, but I hope to get some opinions here as well. The same / a similar question has been asked by somebody else in the "education forum", but the thread petered out without a conclusive answer due to misunderstandings in terminology.

For an in-situ field repair we need a welding procedure for welding new API 5L X-52 material to existing casing of API 5CT K55 material. I would like to know whether welding these two materials together is feasible and whether it has been done before. Once I know that, I can get down to details of getting a welding procedure together.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Parent - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 11-17-2007 15:16
Hi,
Last year i posted similar question and also no answer, it is strange so many experts visiting the site and nobody knows a bit about casing's materials.
good luck !!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-17-2007 18:09
What does the MTR's say the API 5CT K55 material is? This may come to a shock, but this is not a common grade of materials. While it may be very common in you industry, I have  APL 5L, Section IX and B31.3 and cannot find your material. Most OFT are mild steel and the common way to put them together is with threads, collars and casing crews. Not welded. Just off the top of my head, I would say welding it with 7018 would be fine, but the field welder will probably stringger and hot pass it with 5P or 70+ and finish with Low Hy. Write a WPS and do a PQR and see if the material will work. Get the MTR's from the casing supplier to see what is in the steel to be sure it is compatable with X-52. The guys who weld the heads on casing use 7018.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-17-2007 19:20 Edited 11-17-2007 19:23
Your going to need a few standards, and then some basic weld engineering.
API 5CT /ISO 11960 breaks these materials down by groups. K55 is group 1 casing with heat treat according to purchase agreement, but generally it's either normalized and tempered or quenched and tempered. manufactured typically either seamless or esw.
MAX per mass diffraction %
                     C       Mn     Mo    Cr    Ni     Cu      P        S      Si
K55                --       --      --     --    --     --   0,030   0,030   --

There are typically special inspection requirements as given in the normative annex A A.1 SR1, and A.2 SR2.

I'll leave the x42 out for the moment as it's a more common material and most have a copy of API 5L.
To weld engineer this you'll likely need a copy of API 5CT/ISO 11960, ISO 10400 "Formulae and calcs for casing, tubing, drill pipe and line pipe properties" and API bulletin 5C3.

And to you Mr? JCaprarulo being a smart ass doesn't make someone want to help you.
"Last year i posted similar question and also no answer, it is strange so many experts visiting the site and nobody knows a bit about casing's materials.
good luck !! "

You want expert advice on the matter, I'll be glad to sign a contract to provide those answers for an appropriate fee. The experts as you call them generally get paid for providing that kind of information and may be the reason you received no answers.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2007 15:24
Amen.

Al
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-18-2007 17:08
Ditto
Parent - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 11-20-2007 10:03
I can't lose time on you, yo don't exist !!!
Parent - - By midwelder Date 11-20-2007 10:41
Gerald or CWI555 whatever your name, you should have respect for rest of welding colleagues, what it means "smart ass", are you looking yourself in a mirror ??
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 16:19
"it is strange so many experts visiting the site and nobody knows a bit about casing's materials" Nope, refering to this comment, and stand by mine
Parent - - By midwelder Date 11-20-2007 17:33
That welding (X52/K55) is feasible, i had success welding K55/K55 what is more difficult.
Try with SMAW - E8010G (root pass)- E8018B2 (filler and cap).
I do not need any fee, only thanks is enough for me.
Colleagues visiting this site are looking for information not for business, for me it's clear.This last remark is for you Gerald or CWI555 whatever your name.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 18:49 Edited 11-20-2007 18:54
midwelder / JCaprarulo your one and the same person. Is there a particular reason your posting under two nicks?
Speaking of which, if you "knew" or had experience with it, then why this post?
"Last year i posted similar question and also no answer, it is strange so many experts visiting the site and nobody knows a bit about casing's materials.
good luck !! "

I believe telling the man "good luck" was far worse a response if you already had knowledge. If as you say colleagues visiting this site are looking for information, why didn't you just provide it to begin with if you had it as per your post "I do not need any fee, only thanks is enough for me."

Then there is the "whatever your name". Thats an odd statement from someone who is posting under two different names. Some free advice, if your going to register multiple names, it might be a good idea if you take your email and real name out of the info part.

So again, I say not only are you being a smart ass, your being two faced.
handle : midwelder
Email (hidden)
Real Name Jose Caprarulo

handle jcaprarulo
Email josecaprarulo@aol.com
Real Name not listed.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 21:01
Good catch Gerald. You bring up some very interesting points.

I remember the original post and I remember asking for additional information. I don't recollect the person (JC I assume) responding to my request for more information so we could help him. Then again, it doesn't appear that he really was interested in our assistance.

There are people we chose not to offer advice to for any number of reasons. Those individuals that respond to questions do so by choice not because they have to. No one on the forum answers a question to "show off" or to prove anything. We help because we enjoy helping others and we enjoy the discussions that develop. Most of the time it is our collective knowledge and experience that solves a problem when the person asking the question is up front and willing to work with us.

For those individuals interested in insulting people that ask honest questions, or to insult those that offer advice, or those that ask the question only to "test" our knowledge, go elsewhere. I know of several sites that seem to harbor individuals that enjoy smart replies, swapping insults, and enjoy belittling each others. So, my advice is to frequent those sites and enjoy.

This is one of those individuals that I probably will dismiss in the future.

See you later - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding API 5L X-52 to API 5CT K55