Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rolling the rack
- - By cpopham (*) Date 11-17-2007 02:10
Does anyone know about rolling the rack on a sa200?  If you roll it do you also have to change your RPMs to compensate for the change?  How much do you move it and in what direction to make it stack better and still be fast? 
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-17-2007 03:47
Leave that damn rack ALONE! I would rather have a machine set to factory specs than one a monkey had jacked with. Once you start dinking with the rack, you are the only one who will know your machine. And from your post, you  are not really sure what rolling the rack means. On the old short hoods if you turned them down to 1440 rpm's and rolled the rack, you could get better stacking. Or so they say. I have welded with some of these field engineered jewels and they are all wild. Use a good volt/DC amp meter. When the machine is running well check the volts and amps and see where they are. You can also vary the machine with the RPM's. BUt set the machine at factory specs for RPM's and open voltage. Then use the dials to vary the machine. JMHO
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 11-17-2007 04:49
Thats my response to. I had a guy mess with my governor one time thinking it would run a bead better and i ended up carrying it to a dealer to get the machine set back to factory specs. 
Parent - By PlanB (*) Date 11-17-2007 20:23
Kahunas right. I have moved several, they always bring them back and dont like the change. The techs at Lincoln know what they are doing when they set them.
Parent - - By jawtig (*) Date 11-17-2007 14:26
I'm new to wleding. There is so much more too learn. What is a rolling rack???
Parent - - By cpopham (*) Date 11-17-2007 23:18
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll leave it alone.  I'm trying to get it to stack and still be fast.  A guy has a 200g and can beat me to the bottom by almosst half a rod when filling. Just trying to keep up.
Parent - - By cpopham (*) Date 11-17-2007 23:39
Has anyone used a vantage 300, do you think it is better than a sa200
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-18-2007 02:05
I was teamed up with a guy on 30" last winter. he had a vantage 300 and I had a 81 sa 200 and I was burying him all day long. we traded for one joint and I didn't really like his machine but its hard to tell only on one try. anyway as soon as we got off that job he sold it and bought a 59 sa 200 and rebuilt it and he says he's happy with it.
Just a thought though, I bought a 200D and I'm happy with it so far although I havent mainlined with it yet, I think as long as the armature bearing holds up its by far a better machine than an sa200.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-18-2007 02:10
the rack holds the brushes on the main armature... rolling up or down effects the way the machine welds. ps like kahunna says just leave it alone! I've learned my lessons the hard way. once you start messing with it you never stop. If you want more jam go a range up
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-18-2007 21:17
The vast majority of machines used in mainline pipeline construction will have the rack rolled, and the majority of them will be a full punch mark, some will be a little less.
You can then run your rpm wherever it suites you.
The difference in a machine with the rack on the punch mark and one that's rolled to the soft side can be very dramatic in the downhill pipe world where half a rod is a lifetime, and makes the workday a much more pleasant experience.
Roll it and try it, if you don't like it roll it back, it takes all of 5 minutes.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 11-19-2007 14:09
Where are you located? If you start messing with the rack, please be careful. A 1/16 of an inch makes a BIG difference. Always reseat your brushes afterward, because you have changes the bevel seat.

When these machines AND engines are running to factory specs they are right on. Start checking your idle and linkage settings. Check your governor settings ( large bolt should be 50/50. screw should be against prseeure arm about 1/4") Once that is set where it should be, go to my website and read about setting your linkage. Or here is the link to Lincoln Electrics manual for it : http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/OBSO_IMS/IM277.pdf

You can see a good pic of the governor here also. It is set as I described. The arm on the governor needs to break over, so do not tightened so it won't.

The easiest way to check and set your OCV's and RPM is to plug a volt/ohm meter into the receptacle on the front panel. When set properly at high idle you will read 120, and low idle you will read 87.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-20-2007 06:24
hmmmmmmmm my volts are at 117 and 90 ocv's after warm up my range selectors 3rd gear is out so i'm doing 5/32 and 1/8 in 2nd gear and it still stacks the metal in there and my rpms are at 1550 like they should be at 120 volts i was burning switches in my tools
Parent - By cpopham (*) Date 11-21-2007 13:24
I'm working in Texas for the time being. I might try it just to see what happens.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rolling the rack