Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding thin metals
- - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 01:00
i have a old shorthood,it seems that it is hard to fill in the gaps when welding with 7018rods .i work in my spare time building pipe fences,carports,ext.should i be using something else.im trying to get some experience under my belt.also cant seem to make a pass up hill whats the deal.i use 6010s,but i like the way 7018s look when done.Help out a gatewelder.
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-19-2007 01:33
try weaving that 7018 uphill and pausing on the toes for about a second  dont spend alot of time in the middle it will fill up on its own
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 01:42
forgive me,but i dont know what the toes are,thanks for your response
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-19-2007 02:40
toes are going to be the edges of the weld. say your weld was going to be 3/8 inch wide. you would move from side to side in an upward progress pausing on each side for one second not really spending anytime in the middle. being sure not to go outside of your 3/8 areaand only moving up maybe a rod width at a time so it would look like a zig zag patern going up. but there are some really good guys in here that could probly help you out better than i can im just an idiot with a hood and to much free time. lol
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 04:17
man i appreciate your help,ive been welding for a while,i work for the phone com. during the day.but i also built a rig truck and do odd jobs to make a lil mad money, if u no what i mean.im kinda green when it comes to the lingo.peaple say im crazy because my hobby is harder work than my day job.i would like to learn more about pipe welding,something about it gets my attention.
Parent - - By Stickboy (*) Date 11-19-2007 07:47
Try a pound of 7014 and cut the heat back one notch, looks like the 7018
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 11-19-2007 11:38
beat the flux off one of your 7018s and hold it in the gap like a TIG wire while you weld over it. That's what I do when I have to fill a gap on something non critical.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 22:26
Man i appreciate all of your inputs.I stumbled across this web site and just read it for a while.But have came to see their is vast pool of knowledge here.Where i live the pipehands go around kinda looking down at ya.Not all,but some want hardly talk to you.If i had their knowledge i would be honored if someone flagged me down,u no what i mean.Is that what is referred to as mexican tigging.DONT MEAN NO HARM,JUST SAYING.
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-19-2007 22:39
yea i have never understood the whole nose in the air thing that better than you attitude. because in everyones career they were green. so how can you down someone when you have been iun their exact shoes. im just getting started in this career but i have been in construction ful time sence i was 15. i love to share what i know, means that person will remember me  i have passed something on to him. every time he does that thing he will remember me. the only way i see that i will ever me imortalized.  hmm maybe to deep for this topic.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 22:47
YEA MAN ,my chest would fill up with PRIDE if someone thought enough of me to ask my opinion.Hell it does when asked.I ounce heard a man say if a man spent his whole life doing what he/she loved,then that man/woman would have never worked a day in his/her life.Think about. MAKES SENSE!!
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 11-20-2007 00:24
makes perfect sence i know i worked a coupplle of years in manufacturing ass a plating lead and we had some old gurus that wouldnt show you how to do anything because they thought it was job secerity if they were the only ones that new how to do it. unfortunatly they were let go because of this attitude. i just had to work that much harder and do a little research. point being dont ever think you top dog cause you are always expendable, even if its at a price to the company. i learned this stuff that they refused to show me then i trained all my operators how to do it. that way if something happened t5o me the machines would not go down, or have to desturb me on my day off. lol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding thin metals